Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #691
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Bored a bit are we

I wouldn't have wasted my time on all that
And yet you post up post after post belittling and ridiculing the rest of us for our lack of riding skill, mechanical prowess and general common sense.

Frankly, I prefer Greg's "post less with good quality" approach.

Oh, and: . Cause it's just a forum after all.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks to Greg for that info: "Thanks!" Greg!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #692
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
And yet you post up post after post belittling and ridiculing the rest of us for our lack of riding skill, mechanical prowess and general common sense.

Frankly, I prefer Greg's "post less with good quality" approach.

Oh, and: . Cause it's just a forum after all.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks to Greg for that info: "Thanks!" Greg!
Whatever flips your lid supah and as I've said before and I'll say it again for good measure and the hearing/reading/internet sensitive types. I really don't give a shit what the hell any of you do or don't do. All this is here is a comedy hour for the few that think they are funny anyway, no one here wants solid helpful info.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #693
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
And BTW

I thought everyone knew where the origin of a metal pannier came from, I mean damn I'm in romper room for ADV

Next discussion will most likely be the invention of the knobby tire...
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #694
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by royq View Post

next discussion will most likely be the invention of the knobby tire...

R1200RT

vfrgreg screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 03:55 PM
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #695
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
I thought everyone knew where the origin of a metal pannier came from, I mean damn I'm in romper room for ADV

Next discussion will most likely be the invention of the knobby tire...
I couldn't find any info directly related to the knobby tire, but here is a start for you Roy, taken from this website: http://inventors.about.com/library/i...rs/bltires.htm

History of Tires
Charles Goodyear invented vulcanized rubber in 1844 that was later used for the first tires.

More of This Feature
History of Gas Fueled Cars
Related Resources
Automobile History
Bicycle History
Pneumatic Devices
History of Rubber
By Mary Bellis
  • Charles Goodyear invented vulcanized rubber in 1844 that was later used for tires.
  • In 1888, John Dunlop invented the air-filled or pneumatic tires, however, his were for bicycles.
  • In 1895, André Michelin was the first person to use pneumatic tires on an automobile, however, not successfully.
  • In 1911, Philip Strauss invented the first successful tire, which was a combination tire and air filled inner tube. Strauss' company the Hardman Tire & Rubber Company marketed the tires.
  • In 1903, P.W. Litchfield of the Goodyear Tire Company patented the first tubeless tire, however, it was never commercially exploited until the 1954 Packard.
  • In 1904, mountable rims were introduced that allowed drivers to fix their own flats. In 1908, Frank Seiberling invented grooved tires with improved road traction.
  • In 1910, B.F. Goodrich Company invented longer life tires by adding carbon to the rubber.
  • Goodrich also invented the first synthetic rubber tires in 1937 made of a patented substance called Chemigum.
Pneumatic Tyre (Tire)
John Boyd Dunlop (1840-1921) was a Scottish veterinarian and the recognized inventor of the first practical pneumatic or inflatable tyre/tire. His patent was for a bicycle tire, granted in 1888. However, Robert William Thomson (1822 - 1873) invented the actual first vulcanised rubber pneumatic tire. Thomson patented his pneumatic tire in 1845, his invention worked well but was to costly to catch on. Dunlop's tire patented in 1888 did, and so he received the most recognition. William Thomson also patented a fountain pen (1849) and a steam traction engine (1867).

Let me know if you need any more motorcycle knowledge.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #696
jeffrides
mid aged youngun

Oddometer: 161
hey guys, i read several posts back and feel ya'll are missing me. so, here's a catch up:

yes i got a new bike,,,, surprise! it's a klr ! 08,685, bash plate ,lime green. an old friend ,who obviously bumped his head that morning, put it my possesion for safe keeping. it's way to clean for this old dog...

mainly, i've been in a fight with a woman.. that bitch, mother nature... first a tornado totally destroyed an old aunt's house in sw mizzippi, then, last thursday, a tree fell on my overhead power line. and that was the easy part.
an electrical direct power to ground happened in the meter base,heating up wires in that 55 yr old house. and, thats when the fire started..... still all good tho. i put it out quik.nobody was hurt. god was watching out for children and idiots that day,one or both i am.

i did ride satty, to get the old car,and rode sunday to come back. i rode the new bike today. back into the garage.
so life is good!

i see the talk has been luggage. and other mods ( i'm trying to stay on point). hard soft happy jesse,,, whatever. just pack em and ride em. new bikes old bikes, don't matter. the gas we burn, the tires we wear out ,don't amount to squat either. it's not where or how far we ride either....

IT'S THE PEOPLE WE MEET, GET TO KNOW AND SHARE TIME AND STORIES WITH !!!

at least for me,i have gained something from everyone i have crossed paths with in riding carreer, mostly good, some not. just remember this,,,

"IT'S JUST RIDING"

jeffrides
1931 ford truck streetrod
1934 ford coupe streetrod
1938 Packard 12 touring sedan
1955 chevy truck
1973 sl70 honda
a bunch more
oh yeah ,,,klr's rule!!!
jeffrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #697
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrides View Post
hey guys, i read several posts back and feel ya'll are missing me. so, here's a catch up:

yes i got a new bike,,,, surprise! it's a klr ! 08,685, bash plate ,lime green. an old friend ,who obviously bumped his head that morning, put it my possesion for safe keeping. it's way to clean for this old dog...

mainly, i've been in a fight with a woman.. that bitch, mother nature... first a tornado totally destroyed an old aunt's house in sw mizzippi, then, last thursday, a tree fell on my overhead power line. and that was the easy part.
an electrical direct power to ground happened in the meter base,heating up wires in that 55 yr old house. and, thats when the fire started..... still all good tho. i put it out quik.nobody was hurt. god was watching out for children and idiots that day,one or both i am.

i did ride satty, to get the old car,and rode sunday to come back. i rode the new bike today. back into the garage.
so life is good!

i see the talk has been luggage. and other mods ( i'm trying to stay on point). hard soft happy jesse,,, whatever. just pack em and ride em. new bikes old bikes, don't matter. the gas we burn, the tires we wear out ,don't amount to squat either. it's not where or how far we ride either....

at least for me,i have gained something from everyone i have crossed paths with in riding carreer, mostly good, some not. just remember this,,,

"IT'S JUST RIDING"

jeffrides
1955 chevy truck
1973 sl70 honda
a bunch more
oh yeah ,,,klr's rule!!!

Hey jeff!

Man, I'm sorry to hear about the house fire craziness! So, your aunt is ok?

Good to hear from you. Hope to see you soon!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #698
steelpony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:

"IT'S JUST RIDING"

jeffrides
steelpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #699
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:

so life is good!

"IT'S JUST RIDING"

jeffrides
1955 chevy truck
1973 sl70 honda
a bunch more
oh yeah ,,,klr's rule!!!
Sorry to hear about the mishaps. Glad your tuned in so you can proof my BS history lesson. Not sure about the accuracy, just my take on it!

G2

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #700
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,130

Sayeth Rev. JeffRides...

Quote:

so life is good!

"IT'S JUST RIDING"

jeffrides
1955 chevy truck
1973 sl70 honda
a bunch more
oh yeah ,,,klr's rule!!!
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #701
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Well i tried to go riding yesterday. pulled the Old XL out checked the air in the tires and noticed just how bad the rear has got, well i headed out and the weather turned me around, but I hit a few gravel roads on the way back and that was enough to realize I needed to put the new rear I got from Roy on the thing.

so today I went out and rolled the raptors striped carcase out of my shop and put the XL in. I havent had to fight a tire off like that since I changed the last one on that bike. I got the first side off fairly easy but getting the second off was a pain. well i got it off and put beside the new one to compare the two.

i was still concerned it would fit.

well I sprayed it down with the tire lube i have and slipped it on, took me 45 minutes to get the old one off. 15 to get the new one on. it fits but I really need a longer chain to get the tire back a little bit more on the swing arm. it's close to say the lest.

but it looks good on there

then my youngest came out and one of my dogs came into my shop.

she wanted to go riding but I didn't feel like it so i told her to put the bike up and we'd go ride the quad. she couldn't quite push it up the hill.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #702
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,137
Your day was more productive than mine.

I came home about 11:30 after being gone since Friday, drove in to the garage and smelled gas. LOTS of gas. Sniffed the Tenere, nope, not there. Sniffed the DRZ... yep. The entire area under the carb/intake was saturated. Rolled it out of the garage and tried to crank it out of morbid curiosity and it spun over once and hydro-locked. Yay, the "failed vacuum petcock" issue.

So now I have a cylinder filled with gas, oil that is contaminated with gas, and a petcock that has to be replaced, and no time to do it. At least it's non-ethanol.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #703
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Sorry to hear that anti. We missed you at breakfast yesterday.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #704
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Your day was more productive than mine.

I came home about 11:30 after being gone since Friday, drove in to the garage and smelled gas. LOTS of gas. Sniffed the Tenere, nope, not there. Sniffed the DRZ... yep. The entire area under the carb/intake was saturated. Rolled it out of the garage and tried to crank it out of morbid curiosity and it spun over once and hydro-locked. Yay, the "failed vacuum petcock" issue.

So now I have a cylinder filled with gas, oil that is contaminated with gas, and a petcock that has to be replaced, and no time to do it. At least it's non-ethanol.

could have been worse, nothing a oil change, new plug and and new petcock wont fix.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #705
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Sorry to hear that anti. We missed you at breakfast yesterday.
Wish I could have made it. Parenting stuff, yada yada yada... The usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
could have been worse, nothing a oil change, new plug and and new petcock wont fix.
You reckon it will hurt anything any worse to leave it sitting until Saturday?
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote