ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #61
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer
 
Switchblade315's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: personal hell
Oddometer: 5,043
it's done. tire's on and I have new pictures up. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post16560071
__________________
When I die bury me upside down so the whole world can kiss my ass.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #62
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,613
DQ and I worked getting the first oil change done on the KTM. It really wasn't bad at all. We were putting fresh oil in it a couple of hours after we started taking it apart and that was including the time to put everything back together. So, even though it's a pain in the butt to do it, I would say I'm pretty happy it wasn't anymore intense! Thanks DQ!

Now the only problem is how much to put back. The manual says clearly, "approximately", but that amount barely registers on the dipstick. A search of OC reveals that several folks have the same issues. Opinions vary on whether or not to put the "approximate" amount in or fill it up to the dipstick MAX line. I am leaning toward making more oil show up on the dipstick.

Trophy, did you finish your project last night?
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #63
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbus, MS
Oddometer: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Trophy, did you finish your project last night?
Judging by how he was posting, I'm pretty sure he made it through the whole fifth.
__________________
Later,
Michael
"If I can't pass at a reasonable speed I do it unreasonably." - jdmetzger
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #64
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 1,981
I would say it was more like a few hours rather than a couple of hours. Also, it would be very difficult to do by yourself. One person has to lift the left fuel tank while the other disconnects 4 fuel lines and 2 electrical lines. other than that it was easy, it just takes time.

This is what it looks like when changing the oil.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
DQ and I worked getting the first oil change done on the KTM. It really wasn't bad at all. We were putting fresh oil in it a couple of hours after we started taking it apart and that was including the time to put everything back together. So, even though it's a pain in the butt to do it, I would say I'm pretty happy it wasn't anymore intense! Thanks DQ!

Now the only problem is how much to put back. The manual says clearly, "approximately", but that amount barely registers on the dipstick. A search of OC reveals that several folks have the same issues. Opinions vary on whether or not to put the "approximate" amount in or fill it up to the dipstick MAX line. I am leaning toward making more oil show up on the dipstick.

Trophy, did you finish your project last night?
__________________
2001 1150GS / Ural Hack
2011 990 Adv R
Colorado / Utah 2010
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #65
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy
 
carabnsol's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,037
It never ceases to amaze me that some engineer thought it would be a good idea to make a regular maintenance item so difficult. They obviously don't do their own motorcycle maintenance. Of course the same thing can be said for lawnmowers, cars and many more things. On the other hand, I changed the oil and filter on my son's KLR the other evening and it took all of about 15 minutes. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!
__________________
Mommas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies
carabnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #66
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy
 
Trophy1298's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: THE SOUTH
Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
DQ and I worked getting the first oil change done on the KTM. It really wasn't bad at all. We were putting fresh oil in it a couple of hours after we started taking it apart and that was including the time to put everything back together. So, even though it's a pain in the butt to do it, I would say I'm pretty happy it wasn't anymore intense! Thanks DQ!

Now the only problem is how much to put back. The manual says clearly, "approximately", but that amount barely registers on the dipstick. A search of OC reveals that several folks have the same issues. Opinions vary on whether or not to put the "approximate" amount in or fill it up to the dipstick MAX line. I am leaning toward making more oil show up on the dipstick.

Trophy, did you finish your project last night?
Nope. Got busy with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Judging by how he was posting, I'm pretty sure he made it through the whole fifth.
That's what I got busy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabnsol View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that some engineer thought it would be a good idea to make a regular maintenance item so difficult. ...

On the other hand, I changed the oil and filter on my son's KLR the other evening and it took all of about 15 minutes. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!
Engineers were not involved in designing the KLR.
__________________
I'll be back....
Trophy1298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #67
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy
 
carabnsol's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298 View Post



Engineers were not involved in designing the KLR.
__________________
Mommas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies
carabnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #68
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
I would say it was more like a few hours rather than a couple of hours. Also, it would be very difficult to do by yourself. One person has to lift the left fuel tank while the other disconnects 4 fuel lines and 2 electrical lines. other than that it was easy, it just takes time.

This is what it looks like when changing the oil.


Well, by 9:30 or so we had oil in it and we didn't really get started until 6:30 or 7:00. Maybe my time was a bit off;
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #69
1life1ride
Gnarly Adventurer
 
1life1ride's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Raymond, Mississippi
Oddometer: 304
Hey Supahflid ...
First, it was nice talking to you today and the KTM is a great looking bike.
Let's see a pic of the new tires.
__________________
Steve ...
2013 Suzuki Vstrom 650
"Ad alios servandos"
1life1ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #70
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy
 
Trophy1298's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: THE SOUTH
Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony View Post
Hey Supahflid ...
First, it was nice talking to you today and the KTM is a great looking bike.
Let's see a pic of the new tires.
they look really nice.
__________________
I'll be back....
Trophy1298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #71
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony View Post
Hey Supahflid ...
First, it was nice talking to you today and the KTM is a great looking bike.
Let's see a pic of the new tires.

It was really good talking with all of you this morning steelpony Roy, vfrgreg, EBW, redduck and Trophy! Enjoyed seeing you again SP!

Here are the pics of the new rubber:

Front:



Back:



And the whole thang:



I think they'll be pretty good tires even though I wanted the Karoo's.

P.S.-Ain't Roy's new V-strom purty?
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #72
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy
 
Trophy1298's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: THE SOUTH
Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
And the whole thang:


What is that strange blue thing with 4 wheels in your garage???
__________________
I'll be back....
Trophy1298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #73
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbus, MS
Oddometer: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
I see SupahfliC got her garage space back.
__________________
Later,
Michael
"If I can't pass at a reasonable speed I do it unreasonably." - jdmetzger
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #74
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298 View Post
What is that strange blue thing with 4 wheels in your garage???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone
I see SupahfliC got her garage space back.
Just a test run. Still too much junk in there to move around effectively; but she was ecstatic that to see it in the garage. Makes the new motorcycle pill go down a little easier.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #75
evilbollweevil
HDkila
 
evilbollweevil's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Terry Ms
Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
It was really good talking with all of you this morning steelpony Roy, vfrgreg, EBW, redduck and Trophy! Enjoyed seeing you again SP!

Here are the pics of the new rubber:

Front:



Back:



And the whole thang:



I think they'll be pretty good tires even though I wanted the Karoo's.

P.S.-Ain't Roy's new V-strom purty?
Good seein u buddy, sorry if I wasn't very sociable I didn feel to good but really needed to get out for a few min.

Ima go ahead and make a milage guess on the new skins... ima say 1500-1800 miles...
__________________
Its all fun and games til someone gets knocked up, down or out

Life has a smell that the protected and sheltered will never know...
evilbollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014