Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #91
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatalotapeaches View Post
I think I got about that out of my rear. Supah should get at least 3K, prolly over 4K from his rear. (Unless he gives too many demo rides.) I think I put over 8K on my front.
I doubt he'll run a front as long as you have

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #92
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,506
Quote:
I think I got about that out of my rear. Supah should get at least 3K, prolly over 4K from his rear. (Unless he gives too many demo rides.) I think I put over 8K on my front.
YMMV
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #93
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
I'm pretty conservative.....I usually live to ride another day and try not to ride above my skill level. I will prolly get 2,500 or 3,000 out of the rear.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #94
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
I'm pretty conservative.....I usually live to ride another day and try not to ride above my skill level. I will prolly get 2,500 or 3,000 out of the rear.
I enjoyed watching you in my mirrors doing the gravel today... how'd those new shoes do when we do to the almost wet red clay? Have not seen water standing like that in months...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #95
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I enjoyed watching you in my mirrors doing the gravel today... how'd those new shoes do when we do to the almost wet red clay? Have not seen water standing like that in months...

Standing water? Where did y'all ride.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #96
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Akshually, I felt pretty comfortable today. I don't believe any bike is going to feel like it's not going to wash out in the front in deep gravel or sand or loose conditions. I sat a lot today; on the KLR I've felt a lot more comfortable in weird stuff standing up. So far, the verdict is that I like the KTM. I don't know if it's a "in the head" thing or not, but I felt like a little goose from the throttle was all it took to drive me through whatever we were in. I felt like I was riding on top of you all day when we were off road.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #97
jeffrides
mid aged youngun

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Akshually, I felt pretty comfortable today. I don't believe any bike is going to feel like it's not going to wash out in the front in deep gravel or sand or loose conditions. I sat a lot today; on the KLR I've felt a lot more comfortable in weird stuff standing up. So far, the verdict is that I like the KTM. I don't know if it's a "in the head" thing or not, but I felt like a little goose from the throttle was all it took to drive me through whatever we were in. I felt like I was riding on top of you all day when we were off road.
you boys on the smurf colored bikes remember this for gravel,,,, drop air pressure! i drop down to 16 front and 21 rear ,on the klr. .

jeffrides
jeffrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #98
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I was very pleased with how the Tourances worked on Gravel... The only trouble I had was when I took a turn and the sudden washboard sections surprised me... Had to scrub off some speed. Front end did not like sudden bumps at speed... on the normal gravel, it was fine.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #99
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrides View Post
you boys on the smurf colored bikes remember this for gravel,,,, drop air pressure! i drop down to 16 front and 21 rear ,on the klr. .

jeffrides

That's about what I used to run on the KLR. The KTM tires call for higher air pressures, so I'm not sure if I can go that low. And why do they have to be Smurf colored bikes?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #100
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
I was very pleased with how the Tourances worked on Gravel... The only trouble I had was when I took a turn and the sudden washboard sections surprised me... Had to scrub off some speed. Front end did not like sudden bumps at speed... on the normal gravel, it was fine.
hmmm my phone never rang

That's okay I found enough to keep me occupied.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #101
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
hmmm my phone never rang

That's okay I found enough to keep me occupied.

So here is how it went... I want to get the tag back out quickly and knew where I wanted to take it. So i did buzz Supah and DQ. DQ was doing chores all weekend and Supah, well... he's Supah.

So Supah agrees to go and I explain that I have limited time. I said I get out of early service at church, after playing with the band, around 9:45am and want to get on the road. Around 9:50 Supah and I start texting. He says that "Arden and Anti" want to ride with us. I soon find out Anti is still in Columbus and Supah is having one of his moments.
So Supah asked where to meet and I say his house since it is on my proposed route. He says he will call DQ and see if he is in or out. Then he tells me to head for DQ's house and that we are all meeting there.

So I rush home change clothes, gear up, and head for DQ's. I arrive to DQ in shorts working the garage and no bikes in sight... So I text Supah and ask where he is buying his crack these days...

Then I find out from DQ that Supah had just volunteered all of us to help him unload a large pine tree that he had loaded on a trailer. So I call Supah and ask what is up... (He claims to be waiting on Arden and claims I am giving him grief for being late when it isn't his fault.) I have a limited amount of time cause the band played a concert last night and we are supposed to warm up at 5:30... So DQ and I go unload the tree on our own... I'm going to rename Supah to Blister... Cause he shows up after all the work is done!!!

It was a fun ride and my only regrets were having to fly home on superslab instead of the great backroads... Leaving Arden behind and watching Supah-FLY-d take off, get boxed in by an old fart in a dually, then shoot between him and an 18 wheeler giving the ADV salute... Wish I had gotten a picture of that!!! But that KTM hit warpseed... Within a few minutes I could barely see him miles ahead of me and then he was gone... And I was moving pretty quickly on the Wee!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #102
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
So here is how it went... I want to get the tag back out quickly and knew where I wanted to take it. So i did buzz Supah and DQ. DQ was doing chores all weekend and Supah, well... he's Supah.

So Supah agrees to go and I explain that I have limited time. I said I get out of early service at church, after playing with the band, around 9:45am and want to get on the road. Around 9:50 Supah and I start texting. He says that "Arden and Anti" want to ride with us. I soon find out Anti is still in Columbus and Supah is having one of his moments.
So Supah asked where to meet and I say his house since it is on my proposed route. He says he will call DQ and see if he is in or out. Then he tells me to head for DQ's house and that we are all meeting there.

So I rush home change clothes, gear up, and head for DQ's. I arrive to DQ in shorts working the garage and no bikes in sight... So I text Supah and ask where he is buying his crack these days...

Then I find out from DQ that Supah had just volunteered all of us to help him unload a large pine tree that he had loaded on a trailer. So I call Supah and ask what is up... (He claims to be waiting on Arden and claims I am giving him grief for being late when it isn't his fault.) I have a limited amount of time cause the band played a concert last night and we are supposed to warm up at 5:30... So DQ and I go unload the tree on our own... I'm going to rename Supah to Blister... Cause he shows up after all the work is done!!!

It was a fun ride and my only regrets were having to fly home on superslab instead of the great backroads... Leaving Arden behind and watching Supah-FLY-d take off, get boxed in by an old fart in a dually, then shoot between him and an 18 wheeler giving the ADV salute... Wish I had gotten a picture of that!!! But that KTM hit warpseed... Within a few minutes I could barely see him miles ahead of me and then he was gone... And I was moving pretty quickly on the Wee!!!!
I think that most of the time, it's just easier and less stressful to just take off alone. I've got old,seasoned, friends that hardly ride with anyone anymore. Maybe they are on to something. Or, just post that you'll be passing by somewhere at a certain time and if anyone wants to tag along be there gassed up and ready to go. If you go by someone's house to meet them, they probably won't be geared up, gassed up, and waiting to pull out(especially in this heat).

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #103
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
I think that most of the time, it's just easier and less stressful to just take off alone. I've got old,seasoned, friends that hardly ride with anyone anymore. Maybe they are on to something. Or, just post that you'll be passing by somewhere at a certain time and if anyone wants to tag along be there gassed up and ready to go. If you go by someone's house to meet them, they probably won't be geared up, gassed up, and waiting to pull out(especially in this heat).

And some people (not you, Roy) wonder why they don't get called to go ride on these "short notice rides"... They are the same ones that are late, not ready, or don't keep their bike full of gas in the garage, ready to ride...

I enjoy solo rides and group rides, as long as the personality conflicts don't hold up the progress too much... (That's why we have Trophy to counsel all of us and help us all get a long!)
Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #104
evilbollweevil
HDkila

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrides View Post

jeffrides
I'll do 16-18 in the rear too... people can not comprehend what a difference it makes. It makes ALL the difference, it makes 2 different bikes out of it.

Life has a smell that the protected and sheltered will never know...
evilbollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #105
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbollweevil View Post
I'll do 16-18 in the rear too... people can not comprehend what a difference it makes. It makes ALL the difference, it makes 2 different bikes out of it.

B-b-b-but, my point is, because it a bigger tire, I am concerned about running this tire pressure as low as the smaller KLR tire pressure. What say y'all?