User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
btuner OP
DR650SM

Oddometer: 13
Rigid Industries Dually LEDs

I am in no way affiliated with rigid, I am a long time thumpertalk member and just thought I would share with my fellow ADV riders as well! So I bought a couple of these lights from Rigid Industries after hearing great things about them on other forums and I thought you guys would be interested in these.

I know a lot of people are running the vision x solstice but these guys are brighter (1100lumens each vs 900lumens each in the solstice) and cheaper (under $200 for a pair) and tougher. Best of all they only draw 10W a piece!!! aftermarket HID setup draws 35w and 2 of these are way brighter! and with 2 of these and the 35w HID they only draw 55w same as the stock headlight!! I got the spot for long distance lighting at night but they also come in a flood option.

From their website:

"A 4 LED light in a compact 2x2 package that can be used for anything from a reverse light on a truck, a handlebar light on a Motorcycle, to a flood light on a trailer. With over 1100 lumens of light in each one, this small light has the same light output as a 50W MR16. At a small 3"-3" this light can fit anywhere. Pulling only 10W you won't find a more efficient, compact light source in HID or halogen. This light pulls half of what your stock turn signals use. Please contact us for a variety of mounting solutions including rechargeable battery packs."

http://www.rigidindustries.com/product_p/duallyled.htm

Super Easy 2 wire installation, I mounted with the Procycle dr650 light mounts

Both shots are taken at 1/400th F10

Good lord these are bright even in the middle of the day!

And the night output shots...

These were all taken at 35mm 1/1.3s F/5.6

Back ally way not lit

35w 6000k HID from ddm tuning in stock headlight housing 3x brighter than the stock headlight bulb

LEDs only, pointed down as far as the brackets will allow.

35w HID and LEDs both on

Note that my white suv is about 105ft away from the bike and the house in the background is 337ft away from the front tire of the bike(yes I measured) and it lights up the corner, imagine if I pointed them up more!

These things are really really bright, I tried to portray just how bright these are but the camera still doesn't do them justice! and all from only 20w!

Some more pics from further back

Just need to relocate my front turn signals
btuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,299
That's cool.. May be very useful on my WR400F :)
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Nice fair weather light but...

...how are they doing for you when it's raining/foggy/snowing?

I'm not that versed on color/temp ratings for lights but have noticed one thing, the warmer they are (yellowish) the better they do in inclement weather vs those that are on the cool (blue) end of the spectrum.

If this makes any sense...I'm running an 80/100 watt yellowstar on my DR and although visibly not as bright, the contrast allows much better vision for spotting Deer and much less light refraction off of road signs, wet-road surfaces and snow/fog/rain which helps me see better.

Not arguing, just curious...

Edit: tried to change my response title to not sound condescending but couldn't...sorry! Don't take it the wrong way.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
btuner OP
DR650SM

Oddometer: 13
I try not to ride in the rain, and no snow here in FL. They also come in Amber flood or spot ones which would be be better at cutting through dust/snow/rain etc...

These combined with the hid headlight only use 55w, almost half of your yellowstar.
btuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuner View Post
these guys are brighter (1100lumens each vs 900lumens each in the solstice) and cheaper (under $200 for a pair) and tougher. Best of all they only draw 10W a piece!!!
Still happy?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
motolombardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Where did you get the mounting brackets? I dont see them on the site.
motolombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
Don't forget sanjoh's lights.

ADV thread

www.advmonster.com

• $85 each
  • Flood Beam 24watt
  • 1500 lumens
  • 2 amps @12v
  • Cree LEDs
  • 3 levels of light output - full, medium, low - power output is adjusted by applying power for less than 2 seconds. When powered up, the light will remain at the previously selected light output level until power is applied for less than 2 seconds.
  • aluminum housing
  • black durable coating
  • o-ring sealed housing
  • one meter wire lead
  • includes two mounting options - flat mount (stainless) and 7/8s bar mount(aluminum)
  • plastic shatter resistant lens
  • LEDs last 35000 to 50000 hours according to this Wiki. If you turned the lights on and left them on continuously they would stay lit for 4 (four) years at the least.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,850
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
Not cool dude.
Doesn't he have his own thread?
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
Thumpers is not Vendors. Discussion of competing products is allowed, as far as I know.

Sanjoh's are brighter and cheaper, so I thought I'd point them out. If someone posted how much they like Scorpions on the trail, I'd feel totally comfortable saying that I like TKCs better. That's not denigrating Scorpions, just offering my preference.

If Rigid Industries posted about their lights, I'd certainly keep my trap shut.

And actually, on reread, Rigid are more efficient than the others. 1100lm/10watts vs 1500lm/24watts.

subybaja screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 07:56 PM
subybaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
gscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Rigid or Hong Kong

I like the Rigid. I read they are better quality than the Sanjoh. Sanjoh keeps raising his prices too. If you like the Sanjoh, try EBAY UK. For about $50 you can get the same light in 20w, two mount options and the waterproof connector Sanjoh used to include but doesn't any more.

But I think I'll probably go Rigid with the mount Black Dog offers. Much nicer mount than what comes with the Hong Kong cheapie. Unless I just decide based on price alone.
gscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #11
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
[*]Cree LEDs[*]LEDs last 35000 to 50000 hours according to this Wiki
Probably not when they are so overdriven, which does seem to be the case here. Anyway, maybe a problem with heat. How hot the housing feels to the human hand...the LED is not a hand. Maybe the hotter the housing feels, the more heat is being conducted away from the LED.

Cree LED...well, one or two people have checked it out and said that Cree do not make such an LED (the model 44 with the 3-die LED.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Sanjoh's are brighter and cheaper, so I thought I'd point them out.
Yes, good to be aware of the alternatives.
However, brighter (and lumens measured in front of the lens) does not mean light down the road. Light must be focussed by reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscott View Post
I like the Rigid. I read they are better quality than the Sanjoh. Sanjoh keeps raising his prices too. If you like the Sanjoh, try EBAY UK. For about $50 you can get the same light in 20w, two mount options and the waterproof connector Sanjoh used to include but doesn't any more.

But I think I'll probably go Rigid with the mount Black Dog offers. Much nicer mount than what comes with the Hong Kong cheapie. Unless I just decide based on price alone.
I also like the Rigid - at least based on the housing, but about 3 times the price. (Compared to the ebay prices.) (Comparing with the Rigid D2 price, if I remember correctly.)

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
doggitter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Excuse me for bringing this thread out of a coma.

I'm wanting to get a pair of lights like the small LED floods but would like to know if the 30deg pattern lights I see are a round pattern with a 30deg spread or if they are a flat(in vertical dispersion) pattern that is 30deg wide? I would prefer a round 30deg pattern so light in the corner isn't lost so much due to lean angle of the bike.

Loren
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote