Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #46
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
You're up on me three ways: Money, Time, and Know-how...
Moto13 -

The "know-how" part is yet to be determined....depending on the outcome of my Ohlins fork-grafting project. I may ultimately turn out to be Bozo the Clown; but thanks for looking and for your comments !

regards - Dave

DR650 Adventure Bike Build: Click Here
motodavid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #47
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Engine Case Guards

A number of fellow inmates have noted that I need to install the DR650 case guards - I have them, just not yet installed. So, while I am working on resolving my Ohlins fork / headstock bearing issues, and while the moto is on the lift and the front end is apart, I decided to do a quick install of the engine case guards.

Here is the photo sequence - not exactly technical in nature, but here they are:

Engine Case Guards

Preparing to Scuff Up the Metal for a Good Bond

Scuff Up the Engine Case - shifter side

Clean the Engine Case and Guards with Alcohol

Use High-Temperature RTV & I wanted an ~ 5/32 to 1/8 inch thick layer of RTV - some may want more or less - YMMV

Install the Engine Case Guards and tape in place while the RTV cures overnight

Layer of Red RTV shown between the Guard and the Engine Case after Installation - the edges of the guard also have RTV. RTV was liberally applied to the flat surface of each guard. However, I didn't want it oozing out everywhere so I was very careful in applying it towards the edges of each guard.

Repeat for the Clutch Side Case

I will probably seal the ends of the guards with a bead of clear silicone so that I can't hook something accidentally between the engine case and the guard - like a stick - and lever it off or loose.

Also, I changed almost every engine case bolt to a Cap Screw - and many other fasteners also, to carry fewer tools and standardize fasteners to the extent possible.

Thanks for looking - Dave

Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #48
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,360

Those case guards are on my short list of upcoming upgrades.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #49
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodavid2000 View Post
OK on the "spare" KTM WP forks. It helps that you are not in a rush. I will get this worked out and then decide what I will be doing with the WP fork legs.

I will also do some research on the DR350 stem pressed into the KTM lower triple clamp & HDB triple - thanks. Maybe some solution or ideas there for me?? Who knows.

Did you happen to take an OD reading of the DR350 stem where the bearing is positioned on the tube prior to re-assembly? Is it 30mm or other?

Many thanks for the info and suggestions - Dave
Cool, PM me when and if you are selling the WP's. I was suggesting pressing the DR650 stem into the KTM lower triple based on what I did with the DR350. Again, I don't know if it would work (but Jesse would).
Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #50
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
i didn't use scuff my side covers and my engine guards have been on there rock solid for years. i used grey rtv to match the color.

did you skip the oil filter guard?
http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/En...ds/DR650SE.htm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #51
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
Quote:
Steve -

Have you ridden a new Tiger 800cc DS moto? I woud like to ride one - but a mix of offroad / dirt road and street, just to see how I like it. The problem for me is being in very remote places and an engine computer, fuel pump or FI failure. If I am going to be doing remote adventure riding I want SIMPLE and reliable. Just my 2 cents worth.
Not yet, but they seem like an interesting and potentially good thing. Like the BMs though, I expect I'd end up being frustrated by the lack of fully adjustable suspension, one of the reasons why my DR650 went the way it did. And for what I want at the moment, like you, they're too heavy and have too much technology.

What was interesting with my fork conversion was that all I did was adjust the clickers/preload and ride height. For the first time ever, the valving and springs are spot on. For example, the forks on my Bergs have been valved at least 3 times each, and the shocks a couple of times too. The forks on my 1400GTR, aka Concours 14 have also been resprung and valved 3 times, and we even revalved the Ohlins shock its got too. Its a somewhat expensive bike, that also doesn't have fully adjustable suspension. Its a fabulous ride now though, 2 up, luggage, twisty, bumpy roads, fun, fun...

I'm fortunate to have a great mate who is one of Oz's top, (IMHO best) suspension tuners, Frank Pons. He loves to come visit and play with my bikes, and I give him good feedback which he can use elsewhere. He has numerous Oz championships in all disciplines to his name, and has in years gone by mentored guys like Anthony Gobert, Mat Mladin and Stefan Merriman that you may have heard of, and many others.

Steve
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #52
buddha
buried in the sand...

Oddometer: 704
subscribing...

interesting build.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #53
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Oil Filter Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i didn't use scuff my side covers and my engine guards have been on there rock solid for years. i used grey rtv to match the color.

did you skip the oil filter guard?
Bill -

Thanks for looking & for the note. Happy to hear that your engine case guards have been well adhered to your cases. Have to believe that roughing up the two components (guards & cases) will make an even stronger bond.

I do have the oil filter guard installed - maybe you could not see the oil filter guard in the previous photo sequence. I have included a better photo here:

I am also going to safety-wire the oil filler cap (aftermarket) to ensure no bad actor puts contaminants in the engine while I am away from my moto or not looking.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #54
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
what brand of case guards, and were did you get them? That oil filter looks relly good to. You have a full build. Can't wait to see the end.
Cheers mott.
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #55
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

DR650 Stem in KTM Lower Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech View Post
Cool, PM me when and if you are selling the WP's. I was suggesting pressing the DR650 stem into the KTM lower triple based on what I did with the DR350. Again, I don't know if it would work (but Jesse would).
DisTech -

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were suggesting. We are looking at stem lengths now, but the problem that I see with using the stock DR650 stem with the KTM upper triple clamp is the bearing pre-loader setup on the DR650 uses a spanner / spanner nut threaded onto the stem, while the KTM upper triple is setup with a threaded bolt into / inside the stem tube and then clamped in place with a pinch-bolt to hold the preload setting.

Will post up what we determine - thanks again for the input - Dave

Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #56
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Engine Case Guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMOTT View Post
what brand of case guards, and were did you get them? That oil filter looks relly good to. You have a full build. Can't wait to see the end.
Cheers mott.
Mott -

Bill Eakins included this link for case & oil filter cavity guards: http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/En...ds/DR650SE.htm

Dave

Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #57
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Adjustable Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Not yet, but they seem like an interesting and potentially good thing. Like the BMs though, I expect I'd end up being frustrated by the lack of fully adjustable suspension, one of the reasons why my DR650 went the way it did. And for what I want at the moment, like you, they're too heavy and have too much technology.

What was interesting with my fork conversion was that all I did was adjust the clickers/preload and ride height. For the first time ever, the valving and springs are spot on. For example, the forks on my Bergs have been valved at least 3 times each, and the shocks a couple of times too. The forks on my 1400GTR, aka Concours 14 have also been resprung and valved 3 times, and we even revalved the Ohlins shock its got too. Its a somewhat expensive bike, that also doesn't have fully adjustable suspension. Its a fabulous ride now though, 2 up, luggage, twisty, bumpy roads, fun, fun...

I'm fortunate to have a great mate who is one of Oz's top, (IMHO best) suspension tuners, Frank Pons. He loves to come visit and play with my bikes, and I give him good feedback which he can use elsewhere. He has numerous Oz championships in all disciplines to his name, and has in years gone by mentored guys like Anthony Gobert, Mat Mladin and Stefan Merriman that you may have heard of, and many others.

Steve
Steve -

Thanks for the info. We see the world the same with respect to the Tiger 800XC and the BMW F800GS. Just too complex for me when adventure touring in remote locations.

I was aware that the 800XC suspension lack of adjustability. I have not checked the fork legs of the BMW F800GS - are they adjustable?

In any case, both the 800XC and the F800GS are also too heavy for my quickly aging body. I'm getting old enough that I feel the Grim Reaper breathing over my shoulder sometimes.......

I am anxious to get this DR650 sorted out so that I can START tuning the suspension. Hopefully I can get my build fully complete and tuned before the snow flies. We may have alot to do with Ohlins to get them right; we'll see how it goes.

Good that you have a talented suspension tuner who is also a friend AND close by. I need to actually ride the thing to get to that point to even get started. Headstock bearings resolved first, then the rest. Summer is waning, and autumn will be here in the blink of an eye.

Dave

Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #58
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
interesting build.
buddha -

Thanks for looking. Hope to make it worth your while to subscribe.

Dave

Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #59
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
im sure you're right correct with the adhesion.
my bike was used and thus pre scufffed.

where's the oil filter cap from? it looks like it uses an allen key for security but then it also has the 2 finger tabs so you can grab it, which defeats any security.

i use this one for security here in mex.
you might consider the same for your SOB time.
http://www.vstroma.com/oilfillercap.htm
vstrom and dr use the exact same cap.

it's a copy of this TT one or maybe they are the same and TT just charges more:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...rom-DL650-1000
plus TT has this one $$$:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...rom-DL650-1000

Quote:
Bill -

Thanks for looking & for the note. Happy to hear that your engine case guards have been well adhered to your cases. Have to believe that roughing up the two components (guards & cases) will make an even stronger bond.

I do have the oil filter guard installed - maybe you could not see the oil filter guard in the previous photo sequence. I have included a better photo here:

I am also going to safety-wire the oil filler cap (aftermarket) to ensure no bad actor puts contaminants in the engine while I am away from my moto or not looking.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 02:54 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #60
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Oil Filler Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
im sure you're right correct with the adhesion.
my bike was used and thus pre scufffed.

where's the oil filter cap from? it looks like it uses an allen key for security but then it also has the 2 finger tabs so you can grab it, which defeats any security.

i use this one for security here in mex.
you might consider the same for your SOB time.
http://www.vstroma.com/oilfillercap.htm
vstrom and dr use the exact same cap.

it's a copy of this TT one or maybe they are the same and TT just charges more:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...rom-DL650-1000
plus TT has this one $$$:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...rom-DL650-1000
Bill -

Thank you for the excellent suggestion on the hex-only oil filler cap. I don't remember where I got the cap from, but I liked it because I could tighten using the hex - enough to make it difficult to unscrew with your fingers - and then safety wire the thing for extra protection and also to keep from losing it somewhere in the boonies. Maybe a bit of a hassle to cut the safety wire, and then rewire to just add a little oil, however.

In any case, your hex-only filler cap suggestions look like they would work great. Are the hex sizes for the caps you show metric? I was not aware that the DR and the DL use the same filler cap - great info - thanks !

Dave