Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #46
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
Thanks for all the details. This looks like a fantastic ride. I know you had to stop often for the pictures. It is greatly appreciated by all reading this post I'm sure
Sure, I had to stop very often, but this is so pleasure to see such scenery. It takes even much more time to choose pics and post-process them.
Suzi V-Strom '12 (just bough it)
Suzi V-Strom '06 (35 000 miles), Suzi V-Strom '04 (97 000 mile)
freefallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #47
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,278
Excellent
Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #48
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Can't wait for more!! Stunning Photos!!
K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #49
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,824
Nice pics! Thanks for posting.

One question: Did you just drain your oil into the dirt at the campground?
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #50
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,692
nice RR and awesome pics.

thanks ff.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #51
BlackSCRunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
GREAT report and pictures! I think for those of us in the northeast it's sometimes hard to believe there are still places with so much open space. I MUST GO! Perhaps envy is the mother of action?
BlackSCRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #52
defib
Portly Paranurse

Oddometer: 124
great RR

Welcome to the west. I may of seen you at the standing on the corner in winslow. Your pics make me want to take even more day trips around here. Your report is making it difficult to decide my next ride into Utah ( moab or Zion, and bryce) . Be safe!
defib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #53
freefallen OP
down with gravity

thank you all for kind words!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #54
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu View Post
Nice pics! Thanks for posting.

One question: Did you just drain your oil into the dirt at the campground?
Of course not. I drained it into the original oil containers and then dropped it off at an auto store the following morning.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #55
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSCRunner View Post
GREAT report and pictures! I think for those of us in the northeast it's sometimes hard to believe there are still places with so much open space. I MUST GO! Perhaps envy is the mother of action?
Thanks!

still even here there are many nice places to go.
I rode to Canada for a week: Finger Lakes, 1,000 Islands, Montreal, Quebec.
I rode to Bar Harbor, Maine, for about a week.
I rode Blue Ridge, Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.
of course, many rides done to my neighboring Pennsylvania to the Poconos.

all of the above are just beautiful unforgettable roads.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #56
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Monroe, UT

Monroe - the little city is on the way to Salt Lake City, 180 miles away. There is a small problem however, I discovered that my back tire has become almost a square due to the highways and high speeds.

I may have made it all the way home but I’m picking up precious "cargo" in Salt Lake City tomorrow, my son. Early in the morning rather than continuing on my way I came back to the main lodge to look online for the nearest motorcycle shop. I found a few places but they didn’t have a tire my size. They needed at least 1 day for delivery which I didn’t have.

I changed my plans on the go and decided to go straight to Salt Lake 1 day earlier to change my tire, sleep and meet my son in the morning.

Now I’m passing
Monroe and feeling hesitant because I will probably never return to this town again. I decided to make a quick detour to see such an authentic place and then return back to RT 89 just as fast.

The closer I got to
Monroe the more I thought I had just wasted my time leaving the main road to see this run-down place.

Riding on the country road full of pot holes and loose gravel I arrived to my intended destination at the mystic hot springs. I got off my bike to look around.

Grateful dead indeed:

Hot Springs:

I young women came up to me and asked how I was and where I’m going. Turns out she was the co-owner of this place. I told her that I would stay at her camp but I’m in a hurry to Salt Lake to get my tire changed. She said that since I’m already there I should soak myself in the healing natural springs and asked for the size of my bike tire. She explained that there is an ATV shop in town and they may be able to help you out.

I looked at her, having already forgotten about my tire, and started to convince myself: “Having not showered for 2 days and not shaven for 3 and I’m thinking about it?” I hope my wife doesn’t read these lines but this trip can end right here right now

freefallen screwed with this post 08-23-2011 at 10:26 AM
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #57
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Monroe, UT

I settled in the hot springs, rich with calcium and thinking to myself, "life is good".

I didn’t notice while taking the picture above that a guest was flying by with whom I had a photo session with in a moment. The dragonfly landed next to me and we both enjoyed the silence:

The mountain in the background is the source of this hot spring. The stream then splits: one end going to the bath tubs and the other fills the pool:

Fresh water is constantly flowing through the tub and draining below into a small pond:

It was a good idea to place a water mill but as is common in a rundown place it didn’t work:

Even the dogs here turn red after taking a bath in the warm calcium rich water:

And here is the red headed owner of the red colored dog near the red colored pond with red hot spring:

The pool fed by the running hot spring:

freefallen screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 08:49 PM
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #58
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Monroe, UT

After my soak, she gave me the address of the store which was 5 minutes away. I got there and they can change it but they didn’t have my tire size. It’s already 3pm and I’m 3 hours away from Salt Lake.

They then told me that someone is coming back from Salt Lake and can bring a tire back by 6pm, "is that OK with you?" they asked. "Of course" I told them cheerfully. I then returned to the hot springs and told her that she has convinced me to stay

The bath cost me $10 but the camp costs $20 which included unlimited baths. I added $10, pitched my tent and went to the restaurant "Little Wonder" which was highly recommended by my mechanic Jeff from the ATV "Sprockets".

The food was very good: soup, salad, and seafood. It cost me $6.43 including tax. And no, I’m not receiving any commission from National Geographic, Mystic Hot Springs, Sprockets or Little Wonder. I’m just lucky in finding nice people and places.

At 6:05pm my tire had arrived. I comfortably settled down in the shop. I brought my camera, laptop and GPS to update, charge, and edit my photos:

Not 1 hour had gone by and my bike was ready. Guys, you rock!!!

While they were changing my tire our block was closed off from both sides and was overrun by the local youth playing basketball:

There isn’t anything special about today either, just another Thursday and people are partying. Perhaps this happens every evening. I love little places where folks live different lives and entertain themselves as they can.

Then I came to the camp and by the evening I remembered that tomorrow there will be two of us on a bike and the new tire should be pumped to 41psi instead of 36.
Right here in the camp I met a very nice person who introduced himself as a gipsy wagon traveler. Turned out he had a compressor. Amazing person who worked as a rescuer in the most remote wild places.

This place made my day!

freefallen screwed with this post 08-23-2011 at 10:34 AM
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #59
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Ogden, Utah - Adventure Town

Today I picked up my precious cargo at Salt Lake Airport. And my son and I left for Ogden – adventure town.

You need to understand that my son is 6’1’’. In addition to my stuff on the passenger seat he brought 2 additional bags. After some clever packing it was hard to look at our mountain of baggage without smirking.

Ogden is a very lovely town with many serpentine mountain roads. Because I got up at 4am to get to Salt Lake on time and my son had to get up earlier by the time we checked into our hotel at noon we just crashed and slept for a few hours.

After that we rode around on the local roads, it was indescribable.

I originally picked out a specific route but doing it we ended up driving through the mountains and started taking turns as we saw fit. The roads were incredibly beautiful.

It got dark and the temperature quickly dropped. We were dressed very lightly and despite this we didn’t want to return.

We ended the day in a nice and delicious Japanese restaurant:

After resting in Ogden, UT on the following morning we departed on our 310 mile road to Yellowstone.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #60
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Every time I post a new entry, I get this "The text that you have entered is too long (146697 characters). Please shorten it to 40000 characters long."

My text is not even close to that number but nevertheless, I always have to break my entries into smaller ones. Is it a bug? That doesn't bother me, just curious.