User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
996DL OP
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,091
Thumb 2012 HD Dyna Switchback

There, at least the thread is started, they're gonna sell a lot of these.

Downsides at least for me, single disc front brake and the dresser look front forks are basically a parts bin swap from the FL series, therefore not based on the Dyna's oversized 49mm fork tubes.

Upsides, numerous, one of the smartest moves HD has made in years.
Looks, pricing, weight loss over existing dressers, yadda, yadda...

I'll leave it up to the tech savy ADV inmates, to download the photos etc...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
This is pretty much what I had turned my 07 wideglide into by the time I sold it. I agree it seems to be a good move. Kinda like the heritage of the dyna line now, except it strips down easier.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I'm not sure, but the bags look kind of small though and there is no trunk being offered for it as of yet. I don't mean to be negative, but I can't see it appealing to people who really want to tour on their bike. Then, on the other hand I don't think it will appeal to the guys who value looks over function either. It could end up like my FXDX, one of the better all around bikes Harley makes that doesn't sell.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Savoir-Faire
Powered by Hate

Oddometer: 859
This is what I call an "Aspiration Bike". It is a replacement, price wise, for the Electra Glide Standard they used to sell. It's a bagger for a guy who can't afford a Road King. They have done everything they can do to make the Dyna look like a Road King, even the exhaust pipes are similar.

When you look at it that way, it makes sense in the context of it's price point. That being said, I don't like the front end. Who ever heard of a Dyna with an FL fork? Weird. Looks better in person though; saw one at a dealer the other day.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I'm not sure, but the bags look kind of small though and there is no trunk being offered for it as of yet. I don't mean to be negative, but I can't see it appealing to people who really want to tour on their bike. Then, on the other hand I don't think it will appeal to the guys who value looks over function either. It could end up like my FXDX, one of the better all around bikes Harley makes that doesn't sell.
I tend to agree with you on this one. I looked at one over the weekend and like it a lot - for a smaller rider like myself (5'8", 145) it's perfect; not as bulky as an FL but more tour worthy than the other current Dynas. I always liked the Dyna convertibles and FXRT, though, and I don't think they sold a ton of those.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
My only wish is for mid-pegs instead of the boards, wonder if it can be converted...
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Looks like a 1999 Victory or my 2009 Yamaha.

I like how the boards are up high for cornering clearance, but that would put my knees up to the handlebars.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
dammit...... I LIKE IT!

I'm not anti-Harley,
in fact I've wanted a Dyna Glide for years now.
But since I put 30,000 miles on my Sportster 1200'S' 11 years ago, I've gone through a BMW (55,000 miles), a Triumph triple (10,000 miles), 2 Bonnevilles (30,000 miles), an FZ1 (60,000 miles), tried an Aprilia Mille (two months), riding a Bandit 1250 bagger (41,000 miles), and having fun on an SV650 (12,000 miles)......

But I'm tired of mounting, riding, and dismounting motorcycles too big for me. I'm addicted to riding fast, and THAT'S gotta come to a stop, I think I can corner with the best of 'em, and I can boast of my sport & sport-touring riding skills. In short, I'm gonna hafta grow up some day........

But I also want a bike that has a low seat height, comfortable foot controls that I can reach, removable hard bags, removable windshield for summer/winter/touring conditions, ABS, no expensive/frequent valve adjustments, TORQUE, comfort, all with the geometry of a motorcycle I can ride comfortably/safely through the twisties. My Bandit 1250 can cater to my demands, it's a perfect bike.... but I'm 5' 2".... and even though a modified Spencer's Mod'ed saddle from off a GSX650F is due to arrive on my doorstep today, the bike is still too big for me.

I'll be going to look at this bike, but I fear Harley may not have taken into consideration that people like me (a REAL biker who rides, but with a 24" inseam) will not be able to reach those foot controls. If I sit on it and I can reach the controls, I don't know how I can afford to take such a beating on my current motorcycles AND finance the remainder of that Switchback.... but I will be sorely tempted.........
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
dammit...... I LIKE IT!

I'm not anti-Harley,
in fact I've wanted a Dyna Glide for years now.
But since I put 30,000 miles on my Sportster 1200'S' 11 years ago, I've gone through a BMW (55,000 miles), a Triumph triple (10,000 miles), 2 Bonnevilles (30,000 miles), an FZ1 (60,000 miles), tried an Aprilia Mille (two months), riding a Bandit 1250 bagger (41,000 miles), and having fun on an SV650 (12,000 miles)......

But I'm tired of mounting, riding, and dismounting motorcycles too big for me. I'm addicted to riding fast, and THAT'S gotta come to a stop, I think I can corner with the best of 'em, and I can boast of my sport & sport-touring riding skills. In short, I'm gonna hafta grow up some day........

But I also want a bike that has a low seat height, comfortable foot controls that I can reach, removable hard bags, removable windshield for summer/winter/touring conditions, ABS, no expensive/frequent valve adjustments, TORQUE, comfort, all with the geometry of a motorcycle I can ride comfortably/safely through the twisties. My Bandit 1250 can cater to my demands, it's a perfect bike.... but I'm 5' 2".... and even though a modified Spencer's Mod'ed saddle from off a GSX650F is due to arrive on my doorstep today, the bike is still too big for me.

I'll be going to look at this bike, but I fear Harley may not have taken into consideration that people like me (a REAL biker who rides, but with a 24" inseam) will not be able to reach those foot controls. If I sit on it and I can reach the controls, I don't know how I can afford to take such a beating on my current motorcycles AND finance the remainder of that Switchback.... but I will be sorely tempted.........
Don't forget the incredible customization for fitting that HD can do - for tall or short riders.
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
I'll leave it up to the tech savy ADV inmates, to download the photos etc...
Oh, boy! Looks like I get to be tech savvy!

(Looks like a practical, stylish bike to me - kind of reminds me of the old Honda VT1100 Tour.)

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I'm not sure, but the bags look kind of small though and there is no trunk being offered for it as of yet. I don't mean to be negative, but I can't see it appealing to people who really want to tour on their bike.
Trunk should be easy with all the sissy bar mount kits and various styles of trunks/TourPaks available. Might not be factory, but probably easier than fitting a trunk to a random sport-bike.

And I'm not sure the target demographic is long-distance tourers. They'll buy the touring bikes. I see this appealing to guys that want a commuter that's capable for weekend escapes from the wife/kids. It has enough engine and other options that it will appeal to many buyers over a Sportster and priced less than the big touring bikes, so it keeps them at the HD dealer (instead of walking across to the YamaSakionda shop).
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
dammit...... I LIKE IT!

Corbin makes a seat (Classic) that sits lower than most other makes and comes in a close version that puts the rider about 2 inches closer to the bars/floorboards. I've got a Classic Close Solo on my Stret Glide and the soon-to-be ex-wife has a Calssic Close Solo on her Softail Deluxe. I'm 5'7", she's 5"3 and both of us can easily flat-foot and reach the foot controls and crash bar mounted highway pegs.

Don't know if the frame is any different on the Switchback than the other 2010-later Dynas but if the same you can probably get a Corbin saddle now. If different, I'd bet Corbin will start making them for this bike real soon. Of course all this is predicated on one's like or dislike of Corbin seats, they are very firm much like a horse saddle and people either love them or hate them.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
I like it but I don't see much value.

For the same price ($16K) you can get a Victory Crossroads which has more power, more luggage capacity, standard ABS (a $1200 option on the HD), a true 6-speed overdrive transmission, more suspension travel, more cornering clearance, longer floorboards, adjustable shifter and brake pedal, a speedometer not in your lap, aluminum frame, larger gas tank, standard oil cooler, longer wheelbase, a lower seat height, 5K mile service intervals, more, more, more.

You DON'T get a dealer in every town, 100+ years of heritage and inclusion in the club....if that's important.
jmlmjmjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
You DON'T get a dealer in every town, 100+ years of heritage and inclusion in the club....if that's important.
All those are important, except for the club part.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
...You DON'T get a dealer in every town, 100+ years of heritage and inclusion in the club....if that's important.
Opinion of course, but you also don't get a good looking motorcycle.
Attached Images

wpbarlow screwed with this post 08-02-2011 at 02:27 PM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote