Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir-Faire View Post
Who ever heard of a Dyna with an FL fork? Weird.
Who ever heard of an FL with a Sportster fork? Weird!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
I like it but I don't see much value.

For the same price ($16K) you can get a Victory Crossroads which has more power, more luggage capacity, standard ABS (a $1200 option on the HD), a true 6-speed overdrive transmission, more suspension travel, more cornering clearance, longer floorboards, adjustable shifter and brake pedal, a speedometer not in your lap, aluminum frame, larger gas tank, standard oil cooler, longer wheelbase, a lower seat height, 5K mile service intervals, more, more, more.

You DON'T get a dealer in every town, 100+ years of heritage and inclusion in the club....if that's important.
Just to correct a couple... It comes with the 103, so IIRC power is pretty close (not sure on the vic), the Dyna has a 6-speed overdrive, and the HD also has 5k service intervals now, and the seat height is all dependent on the person (I HATE low seats, but I have a 34" inseam and am 6'2), and the longer wheelbase isn't always plus for me either (but I'd be taking the boards off and putting pegs on instead, if possible, to switch it to mids and boost cornering, and the longer base makes turn-in slower).
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopoetve View Post
Just to correct a couple... It comes with the 103, so IIRC power is pretty close (not sure on the vic), the Dyna has a 6-speed overdrive, and the HD also has 5k service intervals now, and the seat height is all dependent on the person (I HATE low seats, but I have a 34" inseam and am 6'2), and the longer wheelbase isn't always plus for me either (but I'd be taking the boards off and putting pegs on instead, if possible, to switch it to mids and boost cornering, and the longer base makes turn-in slower).
Just to correct a couple....Yes it has the 103 but it is still down on power and torque compared to the Victory. Per Motorcycle Consumer News: HD, 66HP-81TQ, Victory 80HP-93TQ. Power's not everything but still....

The Dyna does have a 6-speed transmission, however it is not an overdrive. Not an engineer here but the final drive is not less than 1-1 whereas the Victory is .93-1 for true overdrive.

Regarding the seat height, sit on both, forward controls or not you will have more room for everything on the Victory and you can adjust the pedals (shift and brake) to suit your preference.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,941
Test rode one on Friday and fell in love! Heavy enough to be stable, light enough to feel easy to ride.

Went and sat down to dicker and after the usual BS, the manager told the saleswoman that HD is only giving each dealer 1 for the first 60 days and based on that, the dealer wouldn't come down a dime from MSRP.

I've no idea if the above is true, only what I was told.

So, I left with no new bike. :(
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
There, at least the thread is started, they're gonna sell a lot of these.

Downsides at least for me, single disc front brake and the dresser look front forks are basically a parts bin swap from the FL series, therefore not based on the Dyna's oversized 49mm fork tubes.

Upsides, numerous, one of the smartest moves HD has made in years.
Looks, pricing, weight loss over existing dressers, yadda, yadda...

I'll leave it up to the tech savy ADV inmates, to download the photos etc...

996DL
Imo, this is proof that Harley is getting the message that their bikes are too heavy. I'll bet we'll start to see weight reductions across the lines. Weight is the only real issue remaining to be solved for Harley, imo. Their bikes handle well, look good, are reliable and well build. Once their weight comes down (which helps braking and acceleration) their performance will be on par with the competition. g-
Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Opinion of course, but you also don't get a good looking motorcycle.
I'll agree, I wish I could like Victories, but they're almost universally ugly. The Vision is my favorite, but I still wouldn't buy one.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #22
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
I went to the local dealership to look at the Switchback...... my short legs don't permit my feet to reach the controls.... atall.

But they have a 2010 XR1200 that they want to sell me, asking "$9,995" ....... quick to add that they need to get rid of the bike to get future allocations. I think I've read that the '09 & '10 can be had for as little as $9,000.

All this while riding my Bandit 1250 with it's new Spencer seat mod..... pretty comfortable! Oh..... and the guy told me to strip my 1250 of everything I put on it, sell it all myself, and he'll give me as much money as he can so get rid of that XR Sportie.......
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Dyna

The new Dyna looks sweet and with the 103 engine! I haven't seen one in person yet. Now they just need to bring back the FXDX!
NHADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #24
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post

The Dyna does have a 6-speed transmission, however it is not an overdrive. Not an engineer here but the final drive is not less than 1-1 whereas the Victory is .93-1 for true overdrive.
This is meaningless. Who cares how it is geared? What matters - among other things - is the combination of the following three things at cruising speed 1) available power 2) engine vibration transmitted to the rider and 3) piston speed. Whether or not 6th gear is 1:1 or .xx:1 is completely irrelevant. It's like saying a bike is better because it has a longer exhaust pipe, because you aren't taking into consideration a hundred other things which work with gearing to produce a specific result. "overdrive" is marketing at work. No production bike is a true overdrive anyway, because the crank always turns at a higher rpm than the rear wheel. Like I said, marketing hype. Don't drink the kool aid.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,401
Victory's are ugly as fuck and have horrible resale value...

good talk

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #26
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
...Like I said, marketing hype. Don't drink the kool aid.

Yeah-- stick with a no-hype, non marketing driven brand.

Like H-D

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #27
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
Victory's are ugly as fuck and have horrible resale value...

good talk
Which happens to be a shame, because they build a good motorcycle.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #28
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Yeah-- stick with a no-hype, non marketing driven brand.

Like H-D

You won't see me on a harley because some marketing jackass said "it has mountains of torque". You'll see me on a harley if I enjoy riding it. Wtf is "mountains of torque" anyway? Am I really supposed to believe an air cooled V twin can move a mountain?

Old 08-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #29
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I could see the Switchback as a replacement for my T-Sport in a year or two. I like the looks and the 103 with 6-speed and EFI would be awfully nice. I wish it had double disks on the front though.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #30
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
You won't see me on a harley because some marketing jackass said "it has mountains of torque". You'll see me on a harley if I enjoy riding it. Wtf is "mountains of torque" anyway? Am I really supposed to believe an air cooled V twin can move a mountain?
I've never met a rider, H-D or otherwise, who said the marketing program of the manufacturer was the reason they bought whatever they were riding.

Besides, if the marketing programs worked the manufacturers would stick with them instead of all the changes they make all the time.

errrr, never mind.

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote