Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #31
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
our dealer has a red one in stock that i looked at this morning. i liked it better than i thought i would (and i thought i was going to like it). im 5'7", 30" inseam, and it was easy for me to flat foot. it really balances well ... even easy to take off the stand. i realize the weight difference isn't tremendous, but it "feels" much smaller than a road king to me. it even feels a little smaller than a heritage softail. very comfortable ergos for my frame, i feel like i could ride on that thing for hours. i didn't have any problem reaching the forward controls, although i usually prefer the mids on a dyna.

i think given the weight and the 103ci engine, it should have pretty decent scoot for a harley.

just my $.02. i'd like to own one when funds allow.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #32
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Just to correct a couple....Yes it has the 103 but it is still down on power and torque compared to the Victory. Per Motorcycle Consumer News: HD, 66HP-81TQ, Victory 80HP-93TQ. Power's not everything but still....

The Dyna does have a 6-speed transmission, however it is not an overdrive. Not an engineer here but the final drive is not less than 1-1 whereas the Victory is .93-1 for true overdrive.

Regarding the seat height, sit on both, forward controls or not you will have more room for everything on the Victory and you can adjust the pedals (shift and brake) to suit your preference.
I've sat on the vic, and it was too low and cramped for my legs, but so is the stock harley (less so though, at least mine was) - but HD makes a perfect seat for me that costs $220 (tallboy) - does vic?

And at least on the touring harleys (again, haven't seen the switchback so I can't speak directly to it) you can modify the shift lever (gearshift) pretty easily. Never needed to modify the brake one. Or so it certainly looks (and I did move the one on my Dyna).
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel

Lopoetve screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 03:51 PM
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #33
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 306
2 comments on double disks so far?
Really people? It's common to have single disks up front. You can argue that dual disks just add weight and dont supply any more stopping power than a good single. I wouldn't let a trivial thing like that deter me from buying any bike.
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #34
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdyke View Post
Really people? It's common to have single disks up front. You can argue that dual disks just add weight and dont supply any more stopping power than a good single. I wouldn't let a trivial thing like that deter me from buying any bike.
And I could argue that the dual disks on my Dyna do a great job of slowing that thing down in a hurry.

The switchback has several features I wish my bike had... Quick detach hard bags instead of soft bags, a quick detach windshield and, as I stated before, more cubes and EFI. But I'd like to see dual disks because I've got 'em and I like 'em.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker though.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #35
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Test rode one on Friday and fell in love! Heavy enough to be stable, light enough to feel easy to ride.

Went and sat down to dicker and after the usual BS, the manager told the saleswoman that HD is only giving each dealer 1 for the first 60 days and based on that, the dealer wouldn't come down a dime from MSRP.

I've no idea if the above is true, only what I was told.

So, I left with no new bike. :(
There is absolutely no reason to sell one of these at a discount. It will be MSRP plus freight and set-up. The demand is going to exceed the supply on the bikes.

You are a fool to think you can go in and expect a deal on a new model no matter what the make.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #36
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdyke View Post
If you ride like a slug then dual rotors are not that important. If you ride in a more spirited fashion then the dual front brakes are indeed very important and not "trivial" as you seem to be asserting..
Since when are brakes on a motorcycle trivial?

The new Switchback should have two IMO. That and the floorboards are the only thing wrong about the bike.

The Fat Bob has dual floating rotors and is the best Cruiser that Harley makes. (again IMO)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 11:17 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #37
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Gotta agree.....
love the removable bags, removable windshield, 2-1 exhaust, cast wheels w/tubelss tires, big time torque, low seat height, the craftsmanship & quality chrome of a modern Harley, stellar fuel economy, full fenders, large gas tank, etc......

but those gaye-ass forward positioned floorboards.... appealing to the wannabe pirates/cowboys or folks with long legs are on the bike simply for the sake of trend..... a STUPID trend.

-- But consider that I've been a sport-bike rider for 40 years, AND I have a 24" inseam that in NO WAY reaches the controls.
IN ADDITION, as a sport-bike rider, I know how to ride fast.... and though I wouldn't expect a heavy low slung bike with a long wheelbase, FAT tires, and soft suspension... to be a sport bike...... it's for these VERY reasons that I would demand dual rotors up front!

Harely needs to get their act together. There are more and more Baby Boomers like myself who, after YEEEARS of riding at break-neck speeds, just wanna slow down, cruise, smell the roses, and feel a fully capable and solid bike beneath them with a realistic geometry, modern suspension, damn good brakes, and IMO.... ABS is a GOOD thang!
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #38
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
...Harely needs to get their act together. There are more and more Baby Boomers like myself who, after YEEEARS of riding at break-neck speeds, just wanna slow down, cruise, smell the roses,...
That almost sounds like Harley may not be running out of customers after all

Quote:
...and feel a fully capable and solid bike beneath them with a realistic geometry, modern suspension, damn good brakes, and IMO.... ABS is a GOOD thang
Here's the thing (I suspect) though-- as people age and "just wanna slow down, cruise, etc" thier perceptions of what constitutes a "solid bike with realistic geometry, modern suspension, etc" probably changes as well; and the H-D platforms start looking ok. They'll continually improve over time; but likely at the glacial pace they always have.

You probably disagree; but I'd guess that all those years you were riding at breakneck speeds, you'd never consider riding any other way, and certainly not on a Harley. Face it dude-- you're getting old.

And the chaps are on the rack over there

Time changes us all.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #39
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Quote:

but those gaye-ass forward positioned floorboards.... appealing to the wannabe pirates/cowboys or folks with long legs are on the bike simply for the sake of trend..... a STUPID trend.

-- But consider that I've been a sport-bike rider for 40 years, AND I have a 24" inseam that in NO WAY reaches the controls.
Yes, but looking at it from my side, 32" inseam and bad knees, I bet those floorboards would need to be re-located forward. They do on the Touring bikes, and the Dyna is a smaller chassis.

Oh, I like floorboards for a touring bike, and I guess many others do, too.

Nice thing about a Harley, you can customize this to fit you perfectly. Some mid-mount pegs from another Dyna model and you'd be all set.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #40
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood View Post
I could see the Switchback as a replacement for my T-Sport in a year or two. I like the looks and the 103 with 6-speed and EFI would be awfully nice. I wish it had double disks on the front though.
Um, before you get all trigger-happy with replacing the "T", drop me a line.

I still regret selling it.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #41
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
You'd really like it now, MB. I just put a Corbin Gunfighter & Lady with a rider's rest on it. It moves me back further and down just a little and it's quite a bit narrower at the tank. I can stay in the saddle for hours now without a break.

Wish I'd had it when I rode back from Wisconsin.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #42
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 478
At the bottom of page one, John gives a bunch of reasons why a Victory is a better deal. Now I like old R series Beemers but I know some think they look strange, what with the heads sticking out and all. So I know it's all in the eye of the beholder but damn those Vic's are forged with an ugly stick.

As the Victory dealers start bringing in the Indians the original Vics will die, as well they should.
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #43
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If you ride like a slug then dual rotors are not that important. If you ride in a more spirited fashion then the dual front brakes are indeed very important and not "trivial" as you seem to be asserting..

Slugs don't need dual rotors is probably what you meant to say. My 950 V-Star is almost identical in rotor size and it's fine. Super heavy, super low bikes can take a ton more rear brake input than taller/lighter bikes and a single front disc is fine...don't Harley riders brag about how they don't use the front brake anyways?

Cracks me up how Harley is building better Yamaha's instead of the other way around.

Almost three times the money?

Killed the link on me, eh?

larryboy screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 12:02 PM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #44
Streamin' E
Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
I like it but I don't see much value.

For the same price ($16K) you can get a Victory Crossroads which has more power, more luggage capacity, standard ABS (a $1200 option on the HD), a true 6-speed overdrive transmission, more suspension travel, more cornering clearance, longer floorboards, adjustable shifter and brake pedal, a speedometer not in your lap, aluminum frame, larger gas tank, standard oil cooler, longer wheelbase, a lower seat height, 5K mile service intervals, more, more, more.

You DON'T get a dealer in every town, 100+ years of heritage and inclusion in the club....if that's important.
Victorys look a little too gothic for my taste.
Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their “betters.”- Tom Sowell
Streamin' E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #45
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994
I like Victory, style-wise.

I think the Switchback is a good step in the right direction, now they just need to continue down that road.

I would go sit on one, but me and the HD dealer here don't see eye to eye anymore.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote