Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #46
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post

Looks like my brother-in-law's Triumph Speedmaster.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #47
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post

Except for the engine, pipes and dual disc front. Aside from the color it's nothing like it.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #48
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Except for the engine, pipes and dual disc front. Aside from the color it's nothing like it.
Don't forget the handlebars too.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #49
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Just to correct a couple....Yes it has the 103 but it is still down on power and torque compared to the Victory. Per Motorcycle Consumer News: HD, 66HP-81TQ, Victory 80HP-93TQ. Power's not everything but still....

The Dyna does have a 6-speed transmission, however it is not an overdrive. Not an engineer here but the final drive is not less than 1-1 whereas the Victory is .93-1 for true overdrive.

Regarding the seat height, sit on both, forward controls or not you will have more room for everything on the Victory and you can adjust the pedals (shift and brake) to suit your preference.

holy crap, my ~74 cubic inch 1200cc sporty R makes 72hp/76tq to the ground with just a rejet, slip ons, and a k&n air filter, im amazed the friggin 103 puts out 66/81? my numbers bone stock from a crank rating of of 70hp/80tq netted a stock dyno of 58whp/72tq. those numbers suck for both bikes, i know a power commander on the FI harleys makes a huge difference and i hope there is one for the victory as well, but jesus those are shit numbers. both of those bikes seem like they must be incredibly choked down from the factory.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #50
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post

In the sense that they're both motorcycles, you're correct.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #51
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
My 2000 Sporty put more numbers to the tarmac too...... AND the Victory product could likely be superior to Harley's.
- BUT -
Allow me to be shallow here for a moment, part of the appeal (aside from EVERYTHING the Switchback comes with) is the designer-name stuck on the gas tank. There, I said it. "Metric Cruisers" have Japanese power and reliablility, but they're still a wannabe, Victory at least tried to some degree to be different, a little unique.... but they too are a copy of an Original.

I like it, and my 5' 2"ness would buy it if I could afford to. I imagine it might be an easy affair to switch out the forward controls with something a little less gynecological . I don't want my feet in stirrups..... I see NOTHING 'badass' about 'em, and riders I see with their legs straightened forward of the frame look as silly as ape hangers above the shoulders. Don't be that biker.
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #52
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
dammit...... I LIKE IT!

My Bandit 1250 can cater to my demands, it's a perfect bike.... but I'm 5' 2".... and even though a modified Spencer's Mod'ed saddle from off a GSX650F is due to arrive on my doorstep today, the bike is still too big for me.

I'll be going to look at this bike, but I fear Harley may not have taken into consideration that people like me (a REAL biker who rides, but with a 24" inseam) will not be able to reach those foot controls.
Well that just goes to show you what the manufacturers have to deal with when they build a bike for the masses.

Good luck in your search for the perfect bike. I am 6'-5" with a 36" inseam and I would love to sell my '04 Heritage with the seat height of your average toilet but my wife won't let me so we keep it for tooling around the countryside on the weekend.

Me and my moped:

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #53
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 1,011
Dear god! You positively tower over that thing.

I consider myself pretty average all around, and it always shocks me at how small HDs are. They are some of the densest bikes I've ever seen too.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #54
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Well that just goes to show you what the manufacturers have to deal with when they build a bike for the masses.

Good luck in your search for the perfect bike. I am 6'-5" with a 36" inseam and I would love to sell my '04 Heritage with the seat height of your average toilet but my wife won't let me so we keep it for tooling around the countryside on the weekend.

Me and my moped:

there's that freewheeling adventurer spirit that we all share. wow.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #55
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
there's that freewheeling adventurer spirit that we all share. wow.

I also happen to have a bike that fits me to a TEE! The Harley has become my wife's bike and I am just the chauffeur.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill

ausfahrt screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 10:35 AM
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #56
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
ausfahrt ,
Wow.... I met something like you a couple years ago on one of my rides (our local "Mini Dragon" on Hwy 49).....

rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #57
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
I like it but I don't see much value.

For the same price ($16K) you can get a Victory Crossroads which has more power, more luggage capacity, standard ABS (a $1200 option on the HD), a true 6-speed overdrive transmission, more suspension travel, more cornering clearance, longer floorboards, adjustable shifter and brake pedal, a speedometer not in your lap, aluminum frame, larger gas tank, standard oil cooler, longer wheelbase, a lower seat height, 5K mile service intervals, more, more, more.

You DON'T get a dealer in every town, 100+ years of heritage and inclusion in the club....if that's important.
Not exactly. For $15,999, the Victory does come standard with ABS. It does NOT come standard with hard cases or a windshield. I'm very interested in the Cross Roads and spoke with a local dealer today. The OTD price - red, hard (non-removable) bags and with no windshield, was almost the exact same price as the FLD (w/o ABS).

On paper, the Victory spanks the Harley in almost every tangible category. Where it sucks though, is with resale value, dealer network and the overall fit and finish.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #58
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I also happen to have a bike that fits me to a TEE!
Herr Ausfahrt,
I share your height and inseam dimensions, and would REALLY appreciate knowing what bike fits you so well!
(Because as hard as I've looked, I haven't found it yet!)
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #59
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
I like the Switchback, a paired down Road King, but $15,000 plus fees, prep, top case etc... isn't terribly enticing.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #60
rocksterman
adventure duffer

Oddometer: 26
Dead weight?

I like the wheels. I think the fat fender is for aerodynamics, rather than protection. For better lap-times, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post

I hate the front fender and the wheels. When I see big fenders that cover the side wall of the tire, it just seems like dead weight to me. I'd be curious if anyone has had this style of fender and a more modern style on the same bike noticed a difference in the water spray and/or rocks off the front tire.
rocksterman is offline   Reply With Quote