Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #76
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
In a parts bin with the other unnecessary crap ?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #77
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If you ride like a slug then dual rotors are not that important. If you ride in a more spirited fashion then the dual front brakes are indeed very important and not "trivial" as you seem to be asserting..
Since when are brakes on a motorcycle trivial?

The new Switchback should have two IMO. )
I ride "spirited"...on several different bikes, some with single and some with dual rotors. In some cases, I prefer the lesser weight of a single because there is little dropoff in stopping power. My point was that I doubt that many Switchback riders would ever know the difference.
We'll disagree on the level of riding where it becomes "very important indeed" as you stated, I guess.
Your last sentence is just silly. Sounds like you're trying to start something....
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #78
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Anyone ridden a Switchback yet ?

If it's dry I should get a spin on our demo bike for a few hours tomorrow
I rode one last week at a HD demo ride. About 20 minutes and I loved it!

I'm 5'5" and about 230 - the seating was perfect for me and I thought the suspension was excellent. It ate up bumps and pot holes with east.

I went from the ride right into the shop to buy the one on the floor but the dealer wanted MSPR + doc fee + all the other BS they add on. I passed but have to admit I can't get it out of my mind.

Oh, I also rode the street glide that day and the switchback, IMO, had it beat hands down.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #79
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I rode one last week at a HD demo ride. About 20 minutes and I loved it!

I'm 5'5" and about 230 - the seating was perfect for me and I thought the suspension was excellent. It ate up bumps and pot holes with east.

I went from the ride right into the shop to buy the one on the floor but the dealer wanted MSPR + doc fee + all the other BS they add on. I passed but have to admit I can't get it out of my mind.

Oh, I also rode the street glide that day and the switchback, IMO, had it beat hands down.
I mean this in no way to be rude, but the suspension on bikes is always a concern of mine. At 5'7" and 170 pounds this one should be just fine.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #80
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Freight is a real cost to a dealer. (Harley lists freight separate from the MSRP) It is folly to think you will get a “good deal” on a new model of any make. We received one Switchback so far and it sold within hours rolling it out. We could have easily sold 10 more if we had them.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #81
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Quote:
Freight is a real cost to a dealer. (Harley lists freight separate from the MSRP) It is folly to think you will get a “good deal” on a new model of any make. We received one Switchback so far and it sold within hours rolling it out. We could have easily sold 10 more if we had them.
Freight I can live with but a $265 doc fee is crazy.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #82
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,874
Quote:
...Unlike some of the other makes HD has left the feel of the pulsing there. (7 per second) They did this by intent. They want you to feel it in the hand and levers. So many Old School riders are against some of the technological advancements that HD though it best to do it this way in an attempt to win them over. From those I have talked with (the converts) it seems to be working.
This doesn't make sense because it would seem if you wanted people to get people used to something you'd want to make it unobtrusive, not make it obvious. If I was snarky, I'd say they probably haven't figured it out yet
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #83
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
This doesn't make sense because it would seem if you wanted people to get people used to something you'd want to make it unobtrusive, not make it obvious. If I was snarky, I'd say they probably haven't figured it out yet

My '09 BMW 12GSA pulses the lever and pedal, My '02 1150GSA does not pulse the pedal or lever. You only feel the brakes locking/unlocking when the ABS activates. Maybe BMW hasn't figured it out yet either. I'm only joking. Harley is just starting with ABS so I would say it will evolve as it did with BMW.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #84
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Freight I can live with but a $265 doc fee is crazy.
I agree that IS excessive!!!

Where I work we go ahead and issue plates for the bikes at time of purchase and we do charge for that as it too is a real cost for the “electronic filing fee"... People don't mind that one as it keeps them away from the DOL.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #85
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
I agree that IS excessive!!!

Where I work we go ahead and issue plates for the bikes at time of purchase and we do charge for that as it too is a real cost for the “electronic filing fee"... People don't mind that one as it keeps them away from the DOL.

What is an “electronic filing fee"? I am seeing this all the time now.

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #86
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
What is an “electronic filing fee"? I am seeing this all the time now.
It is a fee from the Department of Licensing that he State charges for the dealer electronically filing and issuing the license plate at time of purchase. Money well spent in IMO.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #87
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

I buy a few used bikes and go to the DMV all the time. I don't mind it. Still, I would pay a reasonable fee to have the dealer do it for me. Maybe $50. But, this dealer wanted the DMV fee + something like $150 for getting me the plates PLUS $265 doc fee. I couldn't even find out what that was for except "paperwork".

Anyway, sorry for that tangent on the thread. - The switchback is the first bike in a long time that got me thinking I might pay full ticket and get a new bike. I know a lot of guys like the bigger HD stuff or a Sport bike or something else but for me, a 57 year old short guy who enjoys easy riding, this is a perfect model. It just feels so nice to ride.

Also, a couple of recent 3 day trips involved minor bike issues that required me to find dealers. The HD motors are, from what I hear, pretty bulletproof and, what' easier than finding an HD dealer?

I think this model is gonna be a hit but, only time will tell.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #88
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Give it a few months JerseyBiker... HD is behind in production and will catch up soon. As soon as things settle you should be able to buy one near the MSRP.

How about considering a Fly & Buy for next Spring. ??? I will hook you up and pick you up at the Airport... Have your first service scheduled and paid for at the dealer of you choice and you could enjoy this beautiful country of ours on your way home.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #89
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:

When I worked for 2 HD dealers freight cost the shop around 250.00.

I saw several dealers who were nearly charging double that amount...and adding the "prep" which was a recent MMI graduate on an hourly wage working 2 hours.....20.00. I would bet my next paycheck many dealers continue that same rip off.

I think the Switchback will sell briskly at first, then drop like a ships anchor in water...much like the XR 1200. History repeats itself with this type of model...see the FXRT, Dyna Convertible with detach bags, and the FXDXT. I like the Switchback..I went to my dealer last week and checked it out..even bringing my GF to sit on the bike and see if the passenger seat and pegs would be comfortable with the bags. All good.

My decision now..do I ride my FXDC until the Switchback starts dropping in popularity and sales...and they drop the prices (see XR1200) or do I give in to temptation and purchase in the Spring.

Stay tuned.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #90
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post

My decision now..do I ride my FXDC until the Switchback starts dropping in popularity and sales...and they drop the prices (see XR1200) or do I give in to temptation and purchase in the Spring.

Stay tuned.
I bought my Street Bob in April of '09. Right at the beginning of the riding (selling) season. I got it for MSRP + $250 doc/registration fees. No freight or set up fees. I could have saved some money by waiting until the end of August or September when the new models start hitting the dealers, but I enjoyed riding the summer on it. No regrets.

I bought the SB in Tn and live in SC. I know what a pain it is for out of state dealers to deal with the SCDMV. The paperwork had to be sent in 4 times before it was accepted. So I didn't balk at the doc fees. I bought my '09 GSA in Daytona and they gave me all the paperwork so I could walk it through myself and it was easy. My '02 GSA was bought in Charlotte and they used a title company in Ohio. They got frustrated with the SCDMV and just quit trying. I had to call them myself to make it happen.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote