Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #106
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Harley dealers are the only ones I know that charge more than $500 in new bike fees. Most Asian/Barvarian/Italian dealers would fold if they attempted that. Hey, I guess if the consumers are dumb enough to pay it you might as well charge it.
Welcome to the concept of capitalism.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #107
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
The fact is, the Vic will come in a bit more after adding the windshield. But as was said, it also comes standard with ABS, as well as cruise control. Duel discs, (they DO make a difference) bigger bags. More power. Very nice. Some call the Vic line-up ugly, so be it. I too give them credit for going for a "different" look then HD.

But I really like the Switchback. Nice old school look that Vic doesn't have anymore. (I own a '02 Vic TCD, still has that old school look) And I like the quick detatch bags and shield. And the 103 really has all the power you need. Not a true OD? So what, really doesn't matter to me. (I alway laugh when Vic sales people pull that one out)

Room for both. Go a bit more modern, or go for that old time look. I'd have to ride them back to back, make my decision at that time.
Vic is has a factory demo ride scheduled at one of the local dealers today. I'm planning to spend some time test riding the Cross Roads as well as a couple of other models. Over the past weekend, I visited with another local Vic dealer and just like the typical HD dealer, they want something like $700-$800 for "freight and setup". For a brand that really needs to get some bikes on the road for visibility, I'm a little suprised they would be charging that much over MSRP. And yes, I asked him about his "best price" and he said they do not discount. As Dr. Phil would say, "So how's that working out for you?"

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #108
danger_dave
Home again

Oddometer: 3,081
Well I really liked it. Got to give it back on Monday.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #109
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave View Post
Well I really liked it. Got to give it back on Monday.

Not a bad looking bike without all of the touring crap on it.

...and WTF is with Harley's aversion to tachometers? Seriously, finding redline by making the valves float isn't a lot of fun.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #110
danger_dave
Home again

I dunno. Style of the things maybe.

The Dyna's 103 cube is well past its best when it starts approaching valve bounce anyhoo.

They are a much better engine to short-shift and use the torque rather than look for the max horsepower. This one was still a pretty green motor, but the engine's vibes start to creep back in near max revs.

Keep it in the max torque zone and it's sweet.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 AM   #111
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
I dunno. Style of the things maybe.

The Dyna's 103 cube is well past its best when it starts approaching valve bounce anyhoo.

They are a much better engine to short-shift and use the torque rather than look for the max horsepower. This one was still a pretty green motor, but the engine's vibes start to creep back in near max revs.

Keep it in the max torque zone and it's sweet.

...meh I demoed a 103 fat-bob for grins....I never found a torque zone. But than again I've been riding a bike with a 13,900 RPM tach almost exclusively for the last year and a half. The bike COMPLETELY ran out of steam and/or hit the limiter as I was starting to think shift.

P.S. Don't buy that bike.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 AM   #112
danger_dave
Home again

Yeah - not to mention the S3 (is that what you mean?) has 50 more ponies and weighs 100kg less :-)

A lot of why I like the Hogs is that they are pleasant 'speed limit' bikes - that works for me better than the constant battle with self-control I have on a Hyabusa eg.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #113
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Yeah - not to mention the S3 (is that what you mean?) has 50 more ponies and weighs 100kg less :-)

A lot of why I like the Hogs is that they are pleasant 'speed limit' bikes - that works for me better than the constant battle with self-control I have on a Hyabusa eg.

My 675 has 50 more ponies and is closer to 150lbs less. The Speed redlines at 10,500 and you never really have to spin it that hard. That bike just goes....specially after I added 27% to the final drive.

I have speed limits....its called Jersey drivers.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #114
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
...and WTF is with Harley's aversion to tachometers? Seriously, finding redline by making the valves float isn't a lot of fun.
The Softails and Dynas do have tachs. The Softails got 'em last year and the Dynas got 'em this year. Granted, they're not the most convenient to see - you have to scroll through the display - while looking down at the gas tank.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #115
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
The Softails and Dynas do have tachs. The Softails got 'em last year and the Dynas got 'em this year. Granted, they're not the most convenient to see - you have to scroll through the display - while looking down at the gas tank.
Well its a start anyway
Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #116
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
I finally got to check one of the Switchbacks out in person. Nice bike, but for 16k I think I would just go find a used Dyna and put bags and a windshield on it myself.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #117
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Not a bad looking bike without all of the touring crap on it.

Fyi - you've never even come close to floating valves on any stock or mildly tuned Harley. You are hitting the ecm controlled rev limiter at 5500 rpm. With a remap it is likely reset to 6200 rpm. Stock valves and springs have no problems keeping up at that engine speed.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #118
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Fyi - you've never even come close to floating valves on any stock or mildly tuned Harley. You are hitting the ecm controlled rev limiter at 5500 rpm. With a remap it is likely reset to 6200 rpm. Stock valves and springs have no problems keeping up at that engine speed.
That's what I like about this site. There's some people who know their stuff. The valves are no where near floating...but the engine is past its sweet spot at that point anyway.

When I rented my first Harley (a Road King) I hit the rev limiter it seemed every third shift. Thought it was dumb not to have a tach. And then after a day I got used to the sound, and got used to the engine, and rarely hit the limiter. Went faster too :)

Now I own a Road Glide. It has a tach (which i like very much) but I rarely pay attention to it. I think I've hit the limiter once in 12,000 miles.

Of course, the road king was a rental, and i own the RG. Big difference.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #119
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
It has a Tachometer.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #120
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
...meh I demoed a 103 fat-bob for grins....I never found a torque zone. But than again I've been riding a bike with a 13,900 RPM tach almost exclusively for the last year and a half. The bike COMPLETELY ran out of steam and/or hit the limiter as I was starting to think shift.
Two different animals. Get on your bike at start off without your right hand on the throttle and get back to us.