User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
DoctorBob OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Touring Southern Africa

Hi, I'm based in the UK and I've been pointed toward your forum for advice on a tour I'm planning for 2015, long story made short... me & some mates did west coast USA as "the trip of a lifetime" trouble is it was good enough to think we needed to do another, so the thrift club has been running for the last five years to raise the funds. Having debated several times over a few pints and studying maps the guys have decided on a return to the USA (mid-east) !

Trouble is it feels like I've already seen the best bits - Hwy 101, San Francisco, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite etc., (Washington, New York Boston, Chicago... just doesn't hit the spot somehow) I always said this trip should be a real adventure so much as I'll miss them I'll probably be going it alone and I'm considering something along the lines of Cape Town > Victoria Falls > Johannesburg - Open to suggestion!

As it looks like I'll be a solo traveller I'm thinking an organised tour would be best, I've been researching and there seem to be a few options for a 14 - 21 day tour, I'd like to deal with someone local rather than some agent based in Europe or USA and a swish website isn't always a good guide!

It would be good to get some insider knowledge, I'm not looking to 4* hotels and would like to experience a little more than just the usual tourist traps (although they have to be done).

Any thoughts will be gratefully received.

Rob
DoctorBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 407
Info

The South African's have their own version of ADV called Wild Dogs.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php

I did the Eastern Cape and it was great - excellent value for money.

PM me if you need more details.

Enjoy

Lets Ride
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
DoctorBob OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks I'll check it out
DoctorBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Three Dawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Have only rented from these guys http://www.samatours.co.za/Pages/index.html
but they were very helpful and friendly and they offer a selection of tours. We used them twice (see my sig below- the Swazi and Bots trips- the latter took in Vic falls) and they did things like pick us up from JNB and let us store all our bags for free. I reckon they'd do a good tour if you wanted to have some company.

I've driven a lot of the places you mention in the west of the USA, but Africa is something else again. I plan to be there in April next year on my own bike for about 4 months!

Looking at the SAMA site I reckon this tour http://www.samatours.co.za/Pages/Vic...oriafalls.html would be a belter. The Okovango is an amazing place, you'll see Vic Falls and best of all you get a big chunk of riding in Namibia.

OOPS, just realised I posted this recommendation in another thread a while back. Apologies.

Three Dawg screwed with this post 08-14-2014 at 12:48 PM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote