Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #16
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
On the baggy pants - bought those jeans in the States when I was working at a restaurant called PF Changs (check da web for this lekker restaurant). Typical yank style: blue jeans, white long sleeved shirt, tie, and.......

WHITE TAKKIES

Anyhow - I thot it would allow for more space to move when I use the bike, which it does. Compare my baggies with this rider Craig - who rides a twin - this was dinner in a cave just outside Wilderness - AWESOME - I think I am going to do some ride reports in the Trips forum, and see if I get a response there.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:52 AM   #17
LuckyStriker
Lottery Loser

Oddometer: 194
Ja boet

You guys look like a lekker bunch. Maybe I’ll tag along one day so that I can check out some of those good-looking routes.

My bike will be laid up for the next 2 or 3 weeks while I wait for new parts from Germany (my bike took a swim) so I’m forced to drive the cage every day
If you speak afrikaans deliciously, I can send you the full report via e-mail

Here are one or two of my own pics

and some roads I like to ride (click to enlarge)

Nice roads of the Baviaanskloof

Near Anysberg
LuckyStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:04 AM   #18
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Hey Dude,

NICE pics! Listen, whats your first name? Leon?

You look like an old mate of mine. Geez - if its you, I am going to skop jou gat cos u and I lost touch

Flipping heck, I hope you are.

What you doing this weekend? Up for a ride?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #19
LuckyStriker
Lottery Loser

Sorry G

Names not Leon... I've just got that kinda face
Old 04-22-2005, 03:11 AM   #20
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStriker
Sorry G

Names not Leon... I've just got that kinda face
hey ,lekker om te sien n paar meer suid afrikaners

Like the idea of a local non marque orientated adv site ...so far the best i find is the africa twin site which lets anyone join with their rides.

WEll buff was lekker ,then went up west coast along real crap sea sand dirt roads ...an there is a frigging toll road between some dorp an lamberts bay which is 20 frigging runt an where i had a nice lil wipe out ,,admiring the view , over confident casue road was good ,over a lil rise into sea sand again .... so i did the only thing my years of experience taught me , i froze at the controls , picked my spot an moered down....but lucky i was ok and bike was sort of ok , thank goodness for crash bars ... then went thru the karoo rode a lot of dirt roads in karro near de aar and orania ... lekker trip ,we did 4100 kays ,,also u capies , if you get a gap , check out a place called titties baai near paternoster ,,thats god's country man.

cheers
Old 04-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #21
macduff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
My mate and his wife above belong to a club called ODM (Organisation for Dual Purpose Motorcycles - or more often - Organisasie vir Dubbel Doel Motorfietse) and these guys do more dirt than tar. Having said that, they are no evil knievel's but those "Red Routes" can be arranged hehe

If theres interest, let me know. Lets see what we can start for a SA website...

Cheers
howzit all..............names ernie.
am riding a XT600 and would LOVE to do some of those routes you did in the grabouw/steenbras area.....

am based for the moment in table view, moving soon.

george (did i get that right?) can you give me some more info on this ODM group you mentioned?

thanks
ernie
macduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:17 AM   #22
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduff
howzit all..............names ernie.
am riding a XT600 and would LOVE to do some of those routes you did in the grabouw/steenbras area.....

am based for the moment in table view, moving soon.

george (did i get that right?) can you give me some more info on this ODM group you mentioned?

thanks
ernie
Howzit Ernie,

Ja, jy het dit reg meneer - George is my naam. So Tableview is close. We are all up in Bellville, including Lucky Striker.

We should do a AdvRider South African get together and post pics. I am afraid that the Steenbras thing is private and closed off, and special permisison has to be obtained, which is quite cool if you think about it, cos it keeps it special for us.

I will invite you if you like to ride that with us soon :)

Check the new ride report on Steenbras yesterday, you will enjoy it. In the meantime, we have around 5- 10 Adv Rider readers down here in the Cape, and we can make it a Grabouw day. There, I will take you asap, its a jol.

We just have to be careful not to leave huge rutted regions cos we will get kicked out immediately. Respect the enviroment, have an absolute jol, do crazy stuff, but keep everyone on our side.

We are holding an ODM Cape Town ride that will be coming up soon. The website is www.sarcil.co.za/odm - check it out. Leon Kroucamp is my friend and riding partner and is the main webmaster.

Cheers then, George - check out ride reports for more SAfrican stuff
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 AM   #23
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
ernie
ps: with an avatar like that, its surprising you aint riding a Harley -

Better do some kind of Verimark product advert to shed those kilo's friend...

jes kidding.......
Old 04-25-2005, 07:59 AM   #24
LuckyStriker
Lottery Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
ps: with an avatar like that, its surprising you aint riding a Harley
erm... G. thats not his avatar

it's live feed from his webcam. a little more discretion please!!

just kidding mcD
Old 04-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #25
macduff
Adventurer

well guys, the avatar is NOT me, but my identical twin brother

George, i will take you up on your offer to go to the grabouw area one day.... would be great.

as you can see, i am one of the unfortunates who love that area, but have to stick to the bottom roads.....

if you look at this first pic closely, you well recognise the mountains as the same as your last pic, in the most recent road report that you did - with craig and stevie in the steenbras area....

this is the view from the bottom of those mountains, taken on that winding road

a little further on that coast - trying to find hangklip

this picture is taken from just after bettys bay - looking up the kogelbaai nature reserve......... to roughly the area where your pics were taken.... but alas, this was a cul-de-sac........... and after a couple of km's i had to return back again

as you can see............. i am one of the unfurtunate ones having to use the pleb roads down at the bottom......

cheers
ernie
Old 04-26-2005, 02:16 AM   #26
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
well guys, the avatar is NOT me, but my identical twin brother

George, i will take you up on your offer to go to the grabouw area one day.... would be great.

as you can see, i am one of the unfortunates who love that area, but have to stick to the bottom roads.....

if you look at this first pic closely, you well recognise the mountains as the same as your last pic, in the most recent road report that you did - with craig and stevie in the steenbras area....

this is the view from the bottom of those mountains, taken on that winding road

a little further on that coast - trying to find hangklip

this picture is taken from just after bettys bay - looking up the kogelbaai nature reserve......... to roughly the area where your pics were taken.... but alas, this was a cul-de-sac........... and after a couple of km's i had to return back again

as you can see............. i am one of the unfurtunate ones having to use the pleb roads down at the bottom......

cheers
ernie
Hey Ernie

Good reply on your twin brother

Sounds good to me that you join us up on a ride in Grabouw, sounds lekker. On those roads, it looks something like this huh?

And this:

And if you look closely, you can see that cul de sac that you mention from this pic - road just leads in on the bottom right

And just for kicks - this is the toughest section I have done in Grabouw. A washed out 4x4 route section. It took the Twin gunning it, and two of us pushing it to get it up. Check the sweat out on my back. And it was a cold and overcast day. And the twin rider is not inexperienced. The camera angle is actually great cos it doesnt show true gradient and conditions, which goes to show that perspective is a big thing in taking fotos. This taken from a cell phone camera...

ps: I got up by myself on the Dak, but the twin and the adv gs took 3 of us to get them up. Phew, it was tough heavy difficult going.

I'll show you later ;)

Old 04-26-2005, 01:56 PM   #27
macduff
Adventurer

hmm, seems u know that part of the coast intimately...
its my secret route - or was my secret route - till you made it fairly public

my next step was to go trawling thru the overberg region.... i.e. from botrivier to napier area.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #28
Jacpod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Cry

Thanks for all the cool pics guys! You are taking me places. It's been a while since I've been back in SA, but I'll spend 8 months there starting December (Hermanus and Stellenbosch Univ).

Maybe we can drink some Pinotage together or better yet, talk about exchanging bikes for a few days (I'm 3 hours from Chicago).
Jacpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 AM   #29
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
hmm, seems u know that part of the coast intimately...
its my secret route - or was my secret route - till you made it fairly public

my next step was to go trawling thru the overberg region.... i.e. from botrivier to napier area.
hehehe sorry mate, but tell you what - it will be the last post on that howzat? next up is grabby ou, and we can jol there. also, always looking for new stomping grounds.

up for a bit of west beach sand riding? check my post adv versus dakar in deep sand in gspot

cheers!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:50 AM   #30
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacpod
Thanks for all the cool pics guys! You are taking me places. It's been a while since I've been back in SA, but I'll spend 8 months there starting December (Hermanus and Stellenbosch Univ).

Maybe we can drink some Pinotage together or better yet, talk about exchanging bikes for a few days (I'm 3 hours from Chicago).
geez - last time i lent my bike out, my mirror got bust ;-)

better than Linzi where her brand new bike (4 miles on the clock) got scratched, dented, bars bent, and lever bust. i guess i am lucky!

lol - youre welcome Jacpod - are you a Amerikaner or a local yocal? You'll be close to us if your in Stellies, lots of jolling coming ur way.

Keep in touch. Why the pinotage? I see its a bit of a fad now with that movie out there in the States, but I prefer a nice smooth merlot or cab sav or cab sav merlot or just plain old fresh oj - bwhahahahahah

Cheers allemaal, G