User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
Catskills again, July 2011

So, we decided to do the catskills again. I did it with the guys last year, and some of them have been there a time or two again since. This is my second time getting up there with them. The roads are great up there, and we love riding them when we can. Rt 30, Rt 28 and Rt 28A are awesome. So are many others in the area, but damn if I remember what they are named.

Since we have one campsite in particular we like to have, we usually try to have one guy get there and save the campsite till the others get there. I did that this year. I took Friday off from work and rode a nice route up there. I had some help from ADV'ers in suggestion which roads to take. I am from northern NJ, so I know from here through there. NY was another story and I got some good input. This was my first route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...1.793658,5.625

Then there was a suggestion made to go through Hawk's Nest on Rt 97 and take Rt 55 up to Rt 17..or back to Rt 17. That was a great section of road, for sure.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...446461,1.40625

Friday, July 29th.

So, here is the bike packed up.

mascots..I now have one..Gus the Gorilla.

Once I was in Sussex county..the good roads started. I missed them.

I grew up in Newton NJ..and was going through there on my way up. This was the house I grew up in. Its crazy how things are so different, than the way you remembered them in your younger days.

This looked familiar to me too as I passed it. Its the Layton General store some of the northern Nj guys meet at on Sundays for rides.

I stopped in Barryville to call wife and check in. I was not sure when I was gonna lose signal, and it was where 55 started for me, so it seemed like a good place. I actually did lose signal in hawks nest area....but there was construction there too, so I was not going back to before there searching for a signal.
Gus still hanging on.

This nice little waterfall was on the last road on the way to camp. Also, I forgot to mention that rain had started from Roscoe, all the way to camp. That was not fun, riding in a down pour, to get to and stay outside.

Gus was not happy about being so wet. Luckily it basically stopped by the time I started setting up camp.
Camp set up...basically. And Gus climbing a tree to dry off too..along with all my wet gear.

Once camp was set up, I had some hours to kill before my buddy Song got there.

quitting here for tonight. These things take more time then you think.

DougZ73 screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 11:41 AM
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Hawks nest is nice, though it's packed with tourists in the summer and it's hard not to get stuck behind a car.

I love the Catskills though. Occasionally I'll wake up early in the morning just to head up there and spend a day riding through the mountains. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
so far, so good
hope you got to BETHEL...
to see the actual woodstock site
http://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/

can't wait to read and see more
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Thanks guys. I am writing this after the fact. I have already been home since Sunday at 4:30. I was gonna write up some more tonight, but just got back from riding. Hopefully by weekend I can finish it.

Thanks for checking it out.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Sorry for the delay...next installment.

So, I forgot to mention, while waiting for my buddy Song to arrive, I made myself some dinner. The wife bought me a jetboil for Christmas last year. I put it to good use.

Bike in the parking lot...waiting for the guys to arrive.

Everyone seems to put flower shots in their RR's. This is the only one I saw.

The stats for the day..basically the ride up:

Using the Jetboil again the next morning to make breakfast. Last time, my eggs broke on the ride up. This time, I put in a little bit of papertowel, in the REI egg holders, to not let the eggs rattle. Did the trick. Precooked microwave bacon travels well and cooks up really easy.

Breakfast Burrito. Tortillas travel well too.

The bike cockpit. Using the smart phone as my main navigation device worked out really well.

We always do some geocaching. The bikes on the side of the road. I like to put mine in the shade.

Gus hanging around. He likes to be moving...especially in the heat.

OK..that is it for tonight. Gotta get up early to ride tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Your gps has full battery after 5 hours of riding?
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #7
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
Your gps has full battery after 5 hours of riding?
Yeah, the GARMIN holds a charge for a long time. I can probably get 20-30 hours of out it before the battery's (AA) are even half dead. I use that one for the track recording and the geocaching. I use the phone with google my maps for the navigation there and back.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Mastros2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

This looked familiar to me too as I passed it. Its the Layton General store some of the northern Nj guys meet at on Sundays for rides.

I just passed that general store today. Nice riding around that area. Keep it coming!
Mastros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Ok, so back to it. This is Saturday, July 30th..and we were out doing a geocache after the start of the ride.

The first one we actually went to, I did not grab my camera, but took some shots with the cell phone:

Song with the located Geocache.

This is back to the one we went to next. It was up a long dirt road that followed some good flowing stream. We ended up waking for about 1/2 mile, before I personally decided to stop and go back to the bikes. I had on my Alpine Bionic Free ride shorts, under my Thor RIDE pants. They did not like the walking and kept wanting to fall down. I had decided to head back to the $20K plus worth of bikes and gear we just left sitting in the side of the road, albeit it pretty desolate. This is shot of the bike as I am sitting in shade across from it.

Another nature shot. I thought the ferns looked pretty cool from where I was sitting in the shade.

The guys walking back from the long dirt road...no cache found. We bagged geocaching after this point and just decided to ride the nice roads.

This was the nice cool rock I was sitting against, in the shade...while waiting for everyone to come back.

So, then after riding many of the nice roads for the day( which I never got the camera out again for), we decided to head back to camp. Our usual plan on the Saturday, was after a great day of riding, was to head back to camp, change into our swim trunks, and ride the less than a mile from camp down to the lake( Big Pond) to take in some swimming and cool off. And that is just what we did. The water up there is so nice and clean and clear, its a pleasure to take a dip in it...not to mention getting cleaned up..since there were no showers at the campsite. There were out houses, to which I was only one brave enough to use.

Now, once we were at lake, I realized that my seat mounted rack system was somehow falling apart. I took the quick dip in the lake, I headed back to camp before the other guys, to get fixing it..hopefully..while there was still light. My whole getting home with my gear depending on that home made rack system.

The bike is an SV1000s. I custom made my own subframe to graft on an 06 GSXR 600/750 tail. With a custom subframe, comes no off the shelf rack systems..thus the homemade seat set up. Luckily, all the issue ended up being was the two bolts that hold down the latch mechanism, had lost their nuts and came loose. When riding in a "spirited" manner, the bike vibrates like crazy....enough to loosen nuts. I put some nylock nuts on this time....which I had with me.

This night, we decided to have food from a local store...burgers and dogs..and Song was nominated to be the $5 grill master. He is actually a really good cook, so this was a piece of cake for him.

The guys chillin' while Song was cooking.

back to it in a bit..dinner time.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

OK, back at it again.

The nights camp fire. The time sitting around the campfire and BS'ing is what makes the camping part great.

The day's stats:

We got up the next morning, packed up camp and headed for home. Actually, first we headed into town to have breakfast together. Then Song headed his way, back to his new digs in MA. I headed back most of the with Mike, Tony and Morgan. They are all PA guys..so we split off a little above the Washington's Crossing area.

The stats for the ride home.

The bike speedo mileage did not jive if you add up the day stats from the Garmin. But, it was with in 3% or so. Close enough for me.

Final thoughts:
- It was great to see the guys and hang out again. Unfortunately, I never has as much time as I would like to have to hang with these guys, much less ride with them. So, its good when I can.
-I rarely ride too hard by myself. As a matter of fact, the last time I rode hard was with these guys, on the same trip last year. So, its good to get out there and have fun riding hard again. "Spirited" riding is one of the times I feel most alive..and that I am actually living life and not merely existing.
- Thanks to dirt riding for the last two years, I have gotten even more comfortable on the street. I find myself getting into this zone....where I am not really thinking about the riding itself...almost like the riding is coming from a subconscious place, leaving my conscious to experience my surroundings more. It is a great feeling.
- people in bumblefack NY are nicer than people in NJ. Having people be nice and start up a conversation is odd to me...but it certainly was nice.

OK, that is the end of the this one. We are repeating in a month or so..I'll just add onto this one. Thanks for checking it out and hope you enjoyed.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
looks like a very nice ride
great pictures
thanks for sharing all of this with us
it is much appreciated
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Nice write up, I usually have issues remembering to stop and take pictures along the way!
2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4x4, do-it-all Pine Barrens Beastie
ErricZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Thanks for checking it out guys. Glad you liked it. I do not get out much,but when I do, I like to remember is through an RR.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
nice report! i didn't even notice you taking any pictures...except when you pulled out the tripod for the stars pic.

see you later!
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #15
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Yeah, and all that got me was a whole lotta black sky...this why not shots of that in here.