Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 05:27 AM   #16
Yani
b00b

Oddometer: 59
Great ride report Doug! Looks like you guys had some great weather and rode some good roads. Small world you grew up in Newton dude. I not only live in Newton but in the neighborhood you grew up in. I'm on Mason Ave. Ha!

That rug really tied the room together
Yani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #17
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerKing View Post
Great ride report Doug! Looks like you guys had some great weather and rode some good roads. Small world you grew up in Newton dude. I not only live in Newton but in the neighborhood you grew up in. I'm on Mason Ave. Ha!
Yeah, that is crazy. Small world. My only regret of leaving Sussex county, was I never got to ride all those great roads with a motorcycle. I was just starting to ride motorcycles when I moved to Morris County. Luckily I did ride many of them on a 10 speed bicycle, and still remember most of the curves on them like it was yesterday.

Thanks for checking out the RR.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Nice write up.
I love the Catskills, I'ts like my back yard.
I ride Sullivan, Delaware, and Ulster counties all the time.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Glad you liked the RR. Yeah, its a great area to ride for the middle east coast. My buddies made a trip or two up there again this year, but I got some other stuff going on, so I was not able to join them. Maybe next year.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Jedi Apprentice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Really liked the RR. I am looking to do some riding through these areas this summer. Do you have any additional google maps to share? Did you run them through your phone to follow them? I'm new to all of this.

Philadelphia, PA
Jedi Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #21
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Apprentice View Post
Really liked the RR. I am looking to do some riding through these areas this summer. Do you have any additional google maps to share? Did you run them through your phone to follow them? I'm new to all of this.
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

I do not have any other maps to share persay. I create a route in google maps, then save to "my maps". I can then open them up in google maps on my phone and follow the route, as i am riding on the phone. The maps update as you ride.

BUT, the caveat is that you have to have a good cell-smartphone signal for that to happen. Once you get within 10-15 miles of the area we camped, there is no cell signal, so the maps stop updating. You still see the line(route) you created and the GPS signal in the phone will still follow it, but the background map image goes away.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #22
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

I do not have any other maps to share persay. I create a route in google maps, then save to "my maps". I can then open them up in google maps on my phone and follow the route, as i am riding on the phone. The maps update as you ride.

BUT, the caveat is that you have to have a good cell-smartphone signal for that to happen. Once you get within 10-15 miles of the area we camped, there is no cell signal, so the maps stop updating. You still see the line(route) you created and the GPS signal in the phone will still follow it, but the background map image goes away.
you can download sections of google maps in advance for the sections your route will go through. i did this while overseas. download sections of the map and use gps to navigate. no data required.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #23
Jedi Apprentice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
you can download sections of google maps in advance for the sections your route will go through. i did this while overseas. download sections of the map and use gps to navigate. no data required.

Good to know- able to do this via iPhone?

Philadelphia, PA
Jedi Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #24
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Apprentice View Post
Good to know- able to do this via iPhone?
not sure, but i assume it has this feature. my phone is android.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote