User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
old brooklyn boy OP
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
Help!

Just got a sidecar. Knew it was different had no idea how different. Need help learning how to drive it. I feel as though a barrel.roll is in my near future. Does anyone know of a safety course in the NYC area. The closer the better. I don't know if it is the set up or me but seems very unstable.(then again some say that about me)
Thanks
Alfred
Born again Noob
Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
What kind of side car have you taken up? Ural ?
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
newellbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
There are a number of good sites, that describe sidecar handling and how to drive them. You can also do a google search on books about how to drive a sidecar. Now, sidecars that are driven by just the rear wheel of the bike, handle like nothing else on the road. If you accelerate hard, they will turn in the direction of the sidecar. If you back of the throttle or hit the bikes brakes, it wil turn away from the sidecar. If you don't have electric lean or someother form of tracking adjustment, you will find your rig will handle neutrally at only certain speeds. Above that speed, and the rig will pull toward the sidecar. Below that speed, and the rig will turn away from the sidecar. Most sidecars can be set up to handle neutrally over a pretty wide range of speeds. Most can handle from 35mph to 65mph, and go in a straight line. Other things that effect this is the weight of the driver, and load in the sidecar. If the sidecar is set up for a light person, and someone much bigger gets on the motorcycle, the sidecar will pull away from the sidecar. If it's set-up for a large person, and a small one gets on the bike, the rig will pull toward the sidecar. If the rig is set up to handle good with an empty sidecar, and you put a heavy load in the sidecar, then the rig will pull toward the sidecar. There is a lot to learn about setting up and driving a sidecar.
newellbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
old brooklyn boy OP
Talking Dog

Sidecar

I have an old Jawa attached to an R90/6. I have another R90 that I like and have ridden for years. I though it was strong enough to pull and stop and I am used to the bike. Think again it rides nothing like my bike. I do like the way they look together though.
I have and read several times the "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" by the USCA Sidecar Safety Program. The book is informative but it's not enough to know how and why it's different I need some hands on training. I am a firm believer in the MSF courses and still take advanced classes every few years and go practice skill drills with the kids when the ridding season starts. Everything that I see online is too far away to go to. I would go for an advanced course but I don't think I could get this thing there safely with my novice skill level. Anyone know of anything closer to my hood.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
msblu79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Driving a sidecar really isn't all that difficult, practice what you have read in an open parking lot and learn to lift the car and get used to the pull from accel/braking action. Start slow and work your way up, tighten up the turns as you go and get a feel for when the sidecar wheel begins to get light. I got my Ural 10 months ago and had never driven one before, as soon as the dealer left, after dropping it off, I was on it and all over town, maybe it was easier for me having lots of MX & enduro riding experience. I've got 11,000km's on it now & I'm having a ball with it, my Sabre doesn't see much action anymore and the battery died from sitting there the last 10 months.
msblu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,463
I think the closest official training to you is up in Massachusetts here or in Pennsylvania here.

They provide the sidecar rigs so you drive there in your car.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
old brooklyn boy OP
Talking Dog

leaning

I think it may be the car then. I tried to drive it at walking speed in a straight line with a fifty pound sandbag in it. The car flew. Turning took a lot of effort. I was just making a u turn into my driveway to put it in the garage. It is an almost perfect 25 foot radius turn. Slow speed full lean almost turn over. Had a 225 pound friend sit in the bike and it worked better but still lifted a little. There should not be too much weight over the tip over line since I only weight 145lbs. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the site suggestions. I saw those but did not realize that they supplied rigs. I will be in Pa on vacation in a few weeks I will look into it.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by old brooklyn boy View Post
I think it may be the car then. I tried to drive it at walking speed in a straight line with a fifty pound sandbag in it. The car flew. Turning took a lot of effort. I was just making a u turn into my driveway to put it in the garage. It is an almost perfect 25 foot radius turn. Slow speed full lean almost turn over. Had a 225 pound friend sit in the bike and it worked better but still lifted a little. There should not be too much weight over the tip over line since I only weight 145lbs. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the site suggestions. I saw those but did not realize that they supplied rigs. I will be in Pa on vacation in a few weeks I will look into it.
If it's that tippy, it sounds like your lean-out is way, way out of whack. You need to shorten the upper struts of whatever mounting system you have or lengthen the lower struts. Probably best to get some old-hand sidecar guy to come have a look and help you with the setup.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Can you post a picture of the outfit from the back with you sat on it, on a normal camber road? You'd be able to spot that sort of lean out by eye.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Call your local Dept. of Licensing. If any safety classes are available locally they should know. As should your insurance company. If you can't find a class buy the "yellow book" aka "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" by David Hough and do the practice exercises till your comfortable.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
msblu79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I agree with the guys, something must not be right for it to be so touchy, it should take some effort to lift the car. I never had ballast in mine since day one and have had no problems. Have it checked out and readjusted if needed.
msblu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
old brooklyn boy OP
Talking Dog

lean out

I have the yellow book and it is great. I have a little time this Saturday and I am going to check the angles and basic set up numbers and see how they look. They have some rule of thumb setup measurements so I'll start from there.
Alfred
Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,331
I have the California Sidecar rigging instructions on my SmugMug if these will help you any. Feel free to copy them as you like since I got them off of the web some where my own self.
http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/Other/Fri...82995800_Be7Yj
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
old brooklyn boy OP
Talking Dog

Lean out

Thanks guys. Didn't get to work on the bike at all this weekend. Worked Sat and had to take the kids upstate to sleep away camp on Sun. Will down load the specs and look at them.
ThreeWheel, what do you mean by normal camber? (No camber camber to the left or the right) I would be inclined to go with a level surface a plumb line and a protractor, but open to suggestions.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I laid out grid lines on my garage floor and pre loaded the suspension with sand bags before I aligned my combo.

An inexpensive laser level, patience, and attention to detail should do the trick.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote