User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Simonhantler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
4x4 rental with snow tyres powder hwy?

i know its not bike talk but does anyone know of car rental 4x4 with real snow tyres for kiwis doing powder hwy ski trip jan 10th for 3 weeks.
happy to rent off adv memeber if thats an option

Simonhantler screwed with this post 10-31-2014 at 08:04 PM
Simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,488
Which province? I'd have to assume that you may hang around the west for 3 weeks?

For a better deal on rentals that's where I go:

http://www.discountcar.com/

Always cheaper than the others and usually more "free" milleage on longer term rentals.

Don't know about real snow tires, the ones with the mountain/snowflake on them.They just changed the "winter tire law" in BC and are now allowing M&S (4 season) tires on the posted mountain roads. As long as they have 3mm of thread they are legal. Not really a good thing I like and use dedicated winter tires and the new wording of the law means all them idiots will be climbing them hills on 4 season tires.

They are saying....to justify the new wording that there has been enough advances in 4 season tire technology over the last 20 years.....apparently they are now good enough.

Mind you that opens possibilities for motorcycles, some of the roads are posted as early as Oct 01, that means that under the old law I was riding my bike illegally and could get a $16x.00 ticket. No winter tires available for my bike but looks like I could get M&S.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
You should be able to get your hands on some sort of 4X4 vehicle to rent. Pickup trucks are the most common than SUVs. You could book a vehicle ahead of time. Some of the common rental companys are: Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Budget, Delta, National.

When renting a vehicle be aware of the insurance scams out there. Getting insurance from the rental company can be a huge rip off. The insurance may not cover all risks for one thing and you can be forced to pay for things that you shouldn't, like chipped glass or paint. I use a Gold Card Mastercard that has special coverage when renting the car using the card. Or you can make arrangements with you auto insurance company, at least in Canada with Canadian insurance. The insurance scam has been going on a long time and lots of people have been scammed by them including me.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
Powder Highway

I assume you are flying in and starting in Cowtown ie Calgary and would be hitting Castle Mtn/Fernie to start your trip? You should be able to rent directly from the Airport a SUV with appropriate winters installed, do not forget to ask for a ski/snowboard rack installed If you need gear hit Ski Cellar Snowboard in Calgary for any gear you might be needing before you hit the slopes. Happy Shredding
Old 11-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #5
Simonhantler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
kiwis in BC

yep BC powder hwy. want to ski red, fernie, rev, panorama,and maybe KH.hire a car either from vancouver, cal or kelowna.
hard to get honest info from car rentals about real snow tyres or just all season.
cheers for help guys. we also may consider an RV, but maybe to cold and hard to find places to stay overnight.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
CalgaryMcLean
n00b

Oddometer: 9
For all intents, rental vehicles with snow tires are unavailable in Calgary.

Some chains (i.e. Budget) will charge a premium for them, but still will not be able to guarantee that they will be available when you arrive. Might get lucky, might not.

Your chances would be better in Kelowna.
CalgaryMcLean is offline   Reply With Quote