User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
Krautbikeman OP
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,470
6.0 Powerstroke

I've owned this 2004 F350 since new and have had only an injector harness fail in her first 147,000 miles. The truck is bone stock and has never had a tuner/chip/exhaust mods.

As she enters her tenth year of service in my care, I know that I need to take care of some issues to maintain her durability and faithful service. I'm not going to sell her or trade her in as that is not in the budget and, frankly, seems unnecessary.

She started leaking diesel fuel from a component on the top front of the motor. The shop diagnosed it as a leaking fuel regulator and advised a rebuild kit is available at a cost of around $35.00 and that the repair would take appx 45 mins. His only caution was to beware of the spring within the regulator.

I'd like to do it myself. Anyone intimately familiar with this job and would like to offer advice? Should I source the rebuild kit from a Ford dealer or will a NAPA/Autozone kit be acceptable?

The next segment will be discussion about bypassing/removing the EGR.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
enjine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
My 6.0 is about to hit 250k. I just changed the egr valve. Huge difference.

Try to confirm the location of that fuel leak before you buy the kit. Sounds like an easy fix though.

I have not tuned mine with a chip or anything like that but I have installed a coolant filter and kept up with all fluid and filter changes religiously.

Good luck and let us know your progress. I think if kept stock these engines should last us a very long time. And the transmission is second to none of that generation.
enjine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,594
My '04 6.0 had a fuel leak at the upper fuel filter/regulator housing recently, it was the o-ring on the cap.
The FD-4616 OEM fuel filter kit from Pep Boys or Autozone comes with the necessary o-rings and took 10 minutes to switch out.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
jgreer
hidden for privacy

Oddometer: 168
2007 f250 4x4 four door, had a blown head gasket so I went big and did the egr delete, air cooled oil cooler, huge external oil filters, machined the block and heads and some other minor upgrades. All of this before 100k miles but I also tow a 14k toy hauler all around the US so not surprised. Have about 20k after all this with not one problem .

Seen more that a few case backhoes with the 6.0 lots and lots of hours on em so hopefully with all the SMOG stuff gone it'll be good to go. Ironically it seems to run far better and smoke a hole lot less with that stuff gone.

2007 KTM 450 exc-g
2007 Triumph Daytona 675

'Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, It’s more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today,might burn your ass tomorrow......'
jgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreer View Post
Seen more that a few case backhoes with the 6.0 lots and lots of hours on em so hopefully with all the SMOG stuff gone it'll be good to go. Ironically it seems to run far better and smoke a hole lot less with that stuff gone.
Which backhoes had a 6.0 Powerstroke in them?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
We have an '03 or '04 F450 with the 6.0 at work. Pulls a 3-car trailer, never run without it. 100% trailer towing. Over 250k on it now. I think it has had one injector and a rear main seal.

Never heard of the 6.0 in a backhoe. Out of grins, which ones? I know some get the Cummins 4BT, just never heard of the 6.0 in them.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,109
Really I bet all you need is the oring on 3c3z9c065aa . I've changed a bunch of then about $5.00
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
enjine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
Really I bet all you need is the oring on 3c3z9c065aa . I've changed a bunch of then about $5.00
Exactly what I was getting at with confirming the location of the fuel leak.
enjine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,478
I'm no longer in the market, but for some reason, it makes me happy to see that there are some folks who have 6.0 diesels that last. When I was shopping for a truck, there were used 6.0s in my range, but with all the gloom/doom about the head bolts, EGR problems and other major i$$ues people were having, I opted to avoid them. Would have loved to get a diesel, and the 6.0s are still cheap around here, but with the money I've sunk in to my current truck (and not in a good way), I'm in too deep to get rid of it.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,959
I've had two friends with 6.0's. One had his ECM re-flashed no fewer than 56 times to fix turbo and injection issues. Ford finally agreed to buy it back from him, but the truck was totaled two days later on an icy road on the way to the dealer. Insurance company bailed Ford out of that one.

The other guy hasn't had any issues at all. He doesn't have many miles on it, but he does tow with it. It runs pretty good, though it's not a fire breathing monster by any stretch.

Both are 2003 models.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
rdrce698
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I have an 06 4 door 4wd with 135,000. No problems. I am always on top of fluid/filter changes. And services as outlined in the manual. Love this truck.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
Hey, are E350 and F450 brake rotors interchangeable with F250?

Part # is different, but I wonder if they will fit to keep as spares.

I ended up with a stack of them new in the boxes.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
darenative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I would install the whole rebuild kit if it's leaking and you need to go into it anyway. The old springs are a known issue..low fuel pressure in high demand situations.

Get the kit from Ford or International
darenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #14
Maccoul
Bam Bam

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Hey, are E350 and F450 brake rotors interchangeable with F250?

Part # is different, but I wonder if they will fit to keep as spares.

I ended up with a stack of them new in the boxes.

If it 2wd The e350 might fit....maybe. The f450 not a chance
Maccoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 AM   #15
Krautbikeman OP
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,470
The tech pointed out the leak (dripping while engine running ) and it is coming from the top front area just under/behind the boost pipe. He identified it as the "regulator".

I could take a photo if that helps.

Thanks for the guidance to this point.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: