Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I've owned a Sprinter, and it's not getting 30mpg unless dropped off a cliff.

I guess total miles hauled in a year might be around 10% of use. I do have a few cross country, or semi-cross country trips planned, and regularly do 800-1000 mile round trips. Just seems that on those occasions, if possible, I'd like to be up there mileage wise.

I've been driving V6 vehicles for a while now, probably did 35K last year, all at a top of 20mpg, probably more like 17mpg overall. Adds up.
I think you have few good options. AFAIK, most of the high mileage smaller cars have very limited towing capacity like 1,000 lbs - good enough for a couple of bikes to be sure but not for a full on toy hauler - the Subi I referenced maxes out at 2,000 with trailer brakes but the newer ones may vary from that. We decided we wanted something with a bit more ummph and ended up with a V6 which gets better mileage on tow than the Subi does [about 2-3 mpg better!] but does not do quite as well unladen as the Subi can.

Can you have two vehicles? One for high mileage driving and the other for when you need to tow? I realize that solution has a lot of suckage in it, but maybe you can justify it?

I really don't know anything about the TDI's although if VW's quality control problems have been solved, they do know how to build decent cars, or they used to.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,807
A 2009 Mercedes E320 Bluetec or similar?

Don't know if its available in a wagon though.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #19
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,297
How about a Saab 9-3? With a stick, 31 highway and 3500 lbs of towing capacity. A version of the 9-5 gets 33 highway and has almost 4000 lbs of towing capacity.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012

Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Here's one that gets 45 mpg towing a bike. 93 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 5spd towing my little rat bike.

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,579
My GTI VR6 had no issues getting low to mid 20s towing

I now have the TDI. Hitch is installed, but i have yet to put the trailer on it yet. I fully expect to get low to mid 30s with it towing.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #23
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,353
Golf TDIs around here are rarer than hen's teeth. A Jetta might be found, but I just never got into the style.

I wonder how towing with a Prius would be? Talking at most two dirtbikes, or maybe one big bike. I hate the whole trailer thing, but the only remotely close option is a 4-cyl truck. At least you don't have to mess with dragging the trailer through the sand at Pismo...

Kind of drops back into the "whatever happened to the small 4x4 truck" thread though...
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #24
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,463
older Mercedes diesel?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #25
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 926
dodge Sprinter?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #26
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I wonder how towing with a Prius would be?
Prius? F' that! The Prius is a false economy, the premium you pay for the Hybrid and then battery replacements negates any fuel economy savings. The Prius gets great MPG in the city but out on the freeway they're not really much better than a normal compact 4cyl car. TDIs might be rare but those stupid prius are all over the place around here.

Another option you could consider is a Full Size Chevy 1500 2wd W/T with the tallest rear end you can find, run some hard compound tires (the ones rated for max lifetime) at the highest PSI that's safe, maybe lower the truck get an airdam some aero hub caps and maybe one of those goofy High Rise bed caps (so you can but the bikes back there) and you'll probably get over 25mpg on the hwy at 65-70mph (probably going to have to be an older Manual Trans 4.3 V6). Those cars with the trailer set ups are going to be limited to 55 mph here in CA.

I've done the trailer thing, it works but I'd much rather have the bike in a truck or on a hitch carrier. I've trailered probably close to 100,000 miles, and only had 1 flat but it's always in the back of your mind that you're going to get one.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #27
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,375
Good luck there dude.

Couple of points of reference: my 97 F150 with the big v-8 would get low 20s on road trips.

The F250 with the diesel would too, but that truck was geared to go 55mph.

Around town? Both 14-17mpg

I'd look into the MB 'SUVs' with the diesel for towing something light AND getting good mileage doing it. The Tuareg with the diesel isn't designed for economy. Stay away.

Can you rent a van for those 'pack it up and haul it' trips and keep a diesel car for daily use? Save in the long run despite the PITA of picking it up and dropping it off.

M
Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #28
Innocent Criminal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
The upcoming Mazda3 or CX5 with the Skyactiv diesel should do the trick. 2.2l with 165hp and 330 ft/lbs of torque!

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...ideo-1587.html
Innocent Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #29
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Pentaro
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #30
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,878
When I had my 2001 Integra Type R I towed 1000lbs a few times, each time I got around 26mpg.
But I wasn't going slow...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: