Oddometer: 3,287
Holy crap, really?

Too bad we just picked up a new truck or I'd be all over one
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #92
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,032
I don't see a huge benefit for a diesel unless you are towing or driving a huge number of miles....
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #93
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
yes! buy a 1980's civic hatch, swap the suspension, brakes & put a towing bar on it. youll get about 35mpg. that's what we got towing lawn mowers on a trailer for a lawn service.

don't try to bog it down in top gear or youll put a rod through the block.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #94
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352

Picked up this go kart for a grand w/ 54k miles off the original Mr. Magoo.
Didn't think I'd ever use it but now I can't live without it.
990 fits in the back with the gate up

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #95
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
It's not a matter of making money, it's that they bill themselves as a luxury-only brand here and don't want to dilute their marketing message. Mercedes does the same thing. No A-series here, no cloth seats, no manual windows, etc.
Interesting point. So it comes down to positioning themselves as luxury only. Too bad because those small engines are efficient and extremely economical.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #96
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
An 80s CRX with the hatch cut out so you can stuff a bike in there.
...like a honda "hiccup"! I don't know if it was factory built or if a body-guy was bored and made them but they sure looked like they could have been OE. I have seen this one locally:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13411027@N00/2823983738/
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #97
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,419
Car or Truck?

Bringing back an old thread here...

Was doing some searching on car vs truck for bikes. I keep thinking of trading my GLK off for a new Silverado and trying to justify living with a "pickup" for the 95% of my driving that is not hauling anything. This was an interesting thread and I think I'll trade for a new diesel GLK when my lease is up.

Test drove Tacoma, Silverado and decided a full size is the way to go if you're gonna invest in a truck. But the ride isn't nearly as good, not as easy to get in and out of, and parking is a bitch in comparison. I find my 'car' very comfortable and it gets 20mph pulling the bikes. Plus the trailer is much easier to load and unload compared to a pickup. I've owned several trucks and always get to the point where I can't wait to get rid of them.

I have a spring-over conversion on my trailer for pulling it behind a motorhome, but it seems to work fine for the car too. Probably have two or three thousand travel mile on it like this and it tows 65-70 easy and still gets 20 or better.

You guys just talked me out of a new pickup.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #98
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
a grand w/ 54k miles
That's a hell of a deal, I got 225K trouble free miles out of mine way back in the day and then passed it on to an old friend of mine. Guess what, it really had a 22R.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #99
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Getting to this thread late ... What is the towing capacity of a GLK?

They have been out for a little while. The smaller Audi looks nice too and I assume they compete in the same market segment.

Any used smaller diesel SUVs out there? We can get cheap diesel down here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #100
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Getting to this thread late ... What is the towing capacity of a GLK?

They have been out for a little while. The smaller Audi looks nice too and I assume they compete in the same market segment.

Any used smaller diesel SUVs out there? We can get cheap diesel down here.

The gas version has the same running gear as the ML350, a 3.5L V6 with 7 speed auto, rated to tow 3500. I think the ML is about double that because of it's size. It's a strong runner and pulls bikes like you don't know they're there. I wouldn't want to tow a 3K pound boat with it though. Has the smaller c-class chassis components and 19" wheels. Tires are STUPID expensive and only last 25K miles.

The 4cyl CDI diesel is coming out in a couple of months and expected to have more torque and only in the 4-matic AWD. Supposed to be about 5mpg better than the gas, maybe a lot more on the hiway. Spendy though, they'll be mid-40K's.

The only other diesel suv's I'm aware of is the Grand Cherokee, can get the 5cyl motor the sprinter van has. Great motor, lots of torque and good fuel economy. For me though, the only jeep I could stand would have to be a wrangler softtop.

The Audi Q's rate higher with the reviewers and are a little more fancy inside, but I will never forget the 5000 and 100LS. Some of the worst cars in history. And they're too closely tied to VW and I still think all of them things are a PITA to maintain. At least the little benzo is solid. 20K miles an it's never been back to the dealer, not a single issue. Have just changed the oil a few times and clean out the air filter. Flawless operation. The MBTex uphostery is fantastic too. I don't know where they get their vinyl, but everybody thinks it's leather, it's comfy, and way easy to maintain.

The BMW X3 falls in this category too. I like their cars but not so much their SUVs. And BMW's are expensive to maintain once out of warranty. I know, we had a 325 'vert for 8 years to over a hundred grand. I spent a fortune keeping it running in tip top shape. Great driving car, but PITA to keep up.

The benzo is full of electronic gadgets too, auto-up and down windows, lots of funky little computer programmed things like wipers, lights, and switches. Huge glass top that opens. It is my fifth MB I have owned. I have a 34 year old one in the garage too.

I sure got the hots for a pickup, the Tacomas are way cool, F150 with Ecoboost, and the Silverado extended cab with leather got almost on my buy list. But I've backed away for the time being. Going to see just how many times I'll really haul bike trailer with it. Usually the motorhome goes, or we ride from home, or somebody else drives.

In Trona on the way to Death Valley last year.

browneye screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 06:38 PM
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #101
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The gas version has the same running gear as the ML350, a 3.5L V6 with 7 speed auto, rated to tow 3500. I think the ML is about double that because of it's size. It's a strong runner and pulls bikes like you don't know they're there. I wouldn't want to tow a 3K pound boat with it though. Has the smaller c-class chassis components and 19" wheels. Tires are STUPID expensive and only last 25K miles.

The 4cyl CDI diesel is coming out in a couple of months and expected to have more torque and only in the 4-matic AWD. Supposed to be about 5mpg better than the gas, maybe a lot more on the hiway. Spendy though, they'll be mid-40K's.

The only other diesel suv's I'm aware of is the Grand Cherokee, can get the 5cyl motor the sprinter van has. Great motor, lots of torque and good fuel economy. For me though, the only jeep I could stand would have to be a wrangler softtop.

The Audi Q's rate higher with the reviewers and are a little more fancy inside, but I will never forget the 5000 and 100LS. Some of the worst cars in history. And they're too closely tied to VW and I still think all of them things are a PITA to maintain. At least the little benzo is solid. 20K miles an it's never been back to the dealer, not a single issue. Have just changed the oil a few times and clean out the air filter. Flawless operation. The MBTex uphostery is fantastic too. I don't know where they get their vinyl, but everybody thinks it's leather, it's comfy, and way easy to maintain.

The BMW X3 falls in this category too. I like their cars but not so much their SUVs. And BMW's are expensive to maintain once out of warranty. I know, we had a 325 'vert for 8 years to over a hundred grand. I spent a fortune keeping it running in tip top shape. Great driving car, but PITA to keep up.

The benzo is full of electronic gadgets too, auto-up and down windows, lots of funky little computer programmed things like wipers, lights, and switches. Huge glass top that opens. It is my fifth MB I have owned. I have a 34 year old one in the garage too.

I sure got the hots for a pickup, the Tacomas are way cool, F150 with Ecoboost, and the Silverado extended cab with leather got almost on my buy list. But I've backed away for the time being. Going to see just how many times I'll really haul bike trailer with it. Usually the motorhome goes, or we ride from home, or somebody else drives.

In Trona on the way to Death Valley last year.

Thanks Amigo. You are an RVer and a rider. You can't be all bad ;)

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #102
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Thanks Amigo. You are an RVer and a rider. You can't be all bad ;)
Haha...RV is for the wife and kids. I tent it when I ride.

Well, mostly.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #103
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,670
Towing a small trailer and bike at 75-80, I get 29 mpg in my jetta TDI. Without trailer I get 40 on average. I can do a lot better if I slow it down.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #104
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Very few topics have so much false information, commonly called bullshit, BS, etc as discussions of "how many MPGs does your vehicle get?"

Usually when I ask to see your data, it's usually duh, I measured a few (partial) tanks, and .....I laugh at diesel owners who bought their $7K diesel option for the "gas mileage towing" yah they pull well, but big torque requires big fuel consumption, simple physics. Smaller motors need to work harder to tow and usually suffer more dramatic mpg/life span losses than a larger motor loafing along.

Buy yourself a little note book to record all your gas consumption (and maintenance) to see your long term averages.
Fits in your console/glove box/door pockets nicely for convenient data logging.

I have recorded every drop of fuel gone thru my van over 123K miles, my car over 68K miles with trip notes - one of these snowy days I'm going to build a spreadsheet for them, graph it and visually see how mountain driving/towing is so much different than flat land cruising, etc

Data tells the truth and it can be surprising
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #105
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,466
I've seen the TDI come up quite a bit in this thread, but my question is if anyone has tried the feat with a GTI? Golf TDI or GTI is almost assuredly my next vehicle - my biggest loads would be a B12S and a KLX, although more often than not they would be separate.

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: