Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #106
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
Very few topics have so much false information, commonly called bullshit, BS, etc as discussions of "how many MPGs does your vehicle get?"

Usually when I ask to see your data, it's usually duh, I measured a few (partial) tanks, and .....I laugh at diesel owners who bought their $7K diesel option for the "gas mileage towing" yah they pull well, but big torque requires big fuel consumption, simple physics. Smaller motors need to work harder to tow and usually suffer more dramatic mpg/life span losses than a larger motor loafing along.

Buy yourself a little note book to record all your gas consumption (and maintenance) to see your long term averages.
Fits in your console/glove box/door pockets nicely for convenient data logging.

I have recorded every drop of fuel gone thru my van over 123K miles, my car over 68K miles with trip notes - one of these snowy days I'm going to build a spreadsheet for them, graph it and visually see how mountain driving/towing is so much different than flat land cruising, etc

Data tells the truth and it can be surprising
That sounds awfully cumbersome.

I didn't buy the TDI for towing. It's a daily driver, but it does do well on towing where I live. I only tow a bike when absolutely necessary. All I know is that get 525-550 miles on a fillup of 13-14 gallons every time. That's good enough data for me to know I'm running a fuel economical operation that I enjoy driving.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #107
stealthrabbit
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
I've seen the TDI come up quite a bit in this thread, but my question is if anyone has tried the feat with a GTI? Golf TDI or GTI is almost assuredly my next vehicle - my biggest loads would be a B12S and a KLX, although more often than not they would be separate.
Revive the thread...

I use my VW TDI's (and IDI's) to tow all the time.
I love my 25 gal tanks in my (4) Passat B4V's ('96 and '97 wagons). 1250 miles between fills . Thus I can drive from Portland, OR to Moab overnight without stopping for food or fuel!

I did 3500 miles this summer towing western mtns with 3 vintage bikes XS650, XT500, and TL250. Dropped to 42mpg from 48.5 lifetime average (several hundred K miles)

My IDI's (pre '96 USA) also drop into low 40's if I have more than one bike in the trailer. (Snowbear HD, so not a 'light' trailer)

So... For GTI... I make GTD's... Get a donor TDI and a NICE GTI and make a 50 mpg GTD, just like the rest of the world enjoys. For TDI swap it can take 30 - 40 hrs to swap the wiring and cluster and engine and tranny.

For IDI (A2 GTD) if takes about 8 hrs to do the swap. and VERY simple. ALL VW Water cooled blocks are a 'drop in' from 1975 - 1999.5. Sometimes the exhaust needs to tweak a bit (when using a TD diesel), but... all parts are factory available. and spares / donors are CHEAP.

I have never spent more than $2000 on a TDI.. my IDI's are often sub $100. I did pay $400 for this one (VW Pickup). It has hauled 2500# but prefers something lighter... like my vintage collection of thumpers.

For HEAVY hauling I have some 1st Gen Cummins 4x4 duallies, then I have to jump up to my Mack (56,000#), then my Kenworth (105,500#). But my TDI's do the lions share of my motorbike transport.

50 mpg since 1976... no dinosaurs required (brew your own fuel)
stealthrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #108
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,836
'09 Mazda B2300 5-spd (Ford Ranger 2.3) will see 36mpg imperial (30mpgUS) travelling 60-65 mph.

Haven't checked the mileage pulling the trailer.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #109
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,598
Just get a truck and ride the bike when it's warm out, that way you're only paying for higher fuel costs in the winter.

It's what I do anyway .

Oh and the new diesels are not worth the trouble due to the new emissions controls on them.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #110
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
'09 Mazda B2300 5-spd (Ford Ranger 2.3) will see 36mpg imperial (30mpgUS) travelling 60-65 mph.

Haven't checked the mileage pulling the trailer.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Almost identical to the set up I have.
Just the truck/canopy is 30mpg.
Truck, no canopy on back, 2 bikes in box was around 22 mpg.
Truck with canopy with bike on hitch type bike carrier 27mpg.
Truck with canopy with 2 bikes on 3 place trailer is pretty consistent at 20mpg.

I use an App called Road Trip to record fuel use.
Mileage drops 20% when the wife drives. I don't tell her that, though.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #111
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Almost identical to the set up I have.
Just the truck/canopy is 30mpg.
Truck, no canopy on back, 2 bikes in box was around 22 mpg.
Truck with canopy with bike on hitch type bike carrier 27mpg.
Truck with canopy with 2 bikes on 3 place trailer is pretty consistent at 20mpg.

I use an App called Road Trip to record fuel use.
Mileage drops 20% when the wife drives. I don't tell her that, though.
Are you making your calculations with Imperial or US gallons?

Seems to me you must be using US mpg.

edit: I see the same mileage drop whenever my wife drives anything. Closer to 30%.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #112
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
I see that I posted here back last page earlier last year. I ended up trading the GLK in for a Subaru Crosstrek. Got the manual 5pd so it can be towed behind the motorhome, and it has 1500# towing capacity so will pull my trailer and a bike or two. Car is almost a year old now, love it.

It gets about 33 with passengers at 75 on the freeway. A little better with two at 65, maybe closer to 35. I finally got it out with the trailer and bike on it for a trip and it got 23.

I really doubt you're gonna find anything that will haul motorcycles and get 30mpg. I'm thinking something diesel that gets really good mileage in the first place might get you close. Seems to me a sprinter van will go about 23. Nothing towing a trailer is going to get 30, at least that I'm aware of.

2013 Subaru Crosstrek:

Setup as a 'toad':

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #113
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Are you making your calculations with Imperial or US gallons?
Seems to me you must be using US mpg.
Yes. USGs.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #114
hellboy7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Bringing back an old thread here...

Was doing some searching on car vs truck for bikes. I keep thinking of trading my GLK off for a new Silverado and trying to justify living with a "pickup" for the 95% of my driving that is not hauling anything. This was an interesting thread and I think I'll trade for a new diesel GLK when my lease is up.

Test drove Tacoma, Silverado and decided a full size is the way to go if you're gonna invest in a truck. But the ride isn't nearly as good, not as easy to get in and out of, and parking is a bitch in comparison. I find my 'car' very comfortable and it gets 20mph pulling the bikes. Plus the trailer is much easier to load and unload compared to a pickup. I've owned several trucks and always get to the point where I can't wait to get rid of them.

I have a spring-over conversion on my trailer for pulling it behind a motorhome, but it seems to work fine for the car too. Probably have two or three thousand travel mile on it like this and it tows 65-70 easy and still gets 20 or better.

You guys just talked me out of a new pickup.

Now thats what i'm talkikng about... I like how you can tow in style.
hellboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #115
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

I really doubt you're gonna find anything that will haul motorcycles and get 30mpg. I'm thinking something diesel that gets really good mileage in the first place might get you close.
Jetta TDI Sportwagon. Maybe.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #116
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Jetta TDI Sportwagon. Maybe.
Seems to me Audi has some TDI wagons now that might do it as well. I'm thinking mid-20's though, still not getting to 30.

That motorhome I've posted pics on is gas, a 8.1L GM, it gets about 8mpg with the car or bike trailer. Towing a 20' boat it got just under 7. A 75 gallon fuel tank to fill up. Gas was $1.65 a gallon when we bought it. A c-note would pretty much fill it up, now it puts about a third of a tank in. We have almost a hundred grand it it, and it's about twenty grand upside down. They call them 'wheel-estate'. My sis just bought a 45 footer that listed at $585K. They got a 'deal' on it. LOL.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #117
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
checkin out this thread would be worth some time; Small Car, Small trailer thread

some folks flirting with 40 mpg in there I think

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=small+trailer
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 03:52 PM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #118
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #119
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
I like that your MX boots dry as you ride.... nice touch....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #120
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthrabbit View Post

I have never spent more than $2000 on a TDI.. my IDI's are often sub $100. [/COLOR][/B]
Can I assume you're not in the US then? As pretty much the only option for a small diesel engine, VW diesels are pricey, at least around my area. I once bought a condition unknown TDI engine from a scrapper for $700 and resold it, still condition unknown, a few months later for $1600. I listed it on craigslist and it was gone within a day, so I probably could have gotten more out of it.

I always wanted to swap a TDI or IDI into a Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker 4x4, but the engine alone can cost 3-4 times a decent rolling chassis!
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: