Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Great Attack to get it back to it's former glory.

Why not have it sandblasted at some of the many yards in Baltimore or Boat Yards in Annapolis than this brush grinding?

POR( Pour on rust) is good. Tough on your hands, beware!

GRP(glas reinforced plastic)=Fiberglass

Cannot wait for the finished product....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,093
That was the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Great Attack to get it back to it's former glory.

Why not have it sandblasted at some of the many yards in Baltimore or Boat Yards in Annapolis than this brush grinding?

POR( Pour on rust) is good. Tough on your hands, beware!

GRP(glas reinforced plastic)=Fiberglass

Cannot wait for the finished product....
Thanks for the support!
I actually own a hopper and a compressor that would have been sufficient to blast everything, but I couldn't seem to get it together to get the Black Diamond media that I wanted to use. I had tarps I was going to use to catch it all so I could reuse it, different size ceramic nozzles for the gun, yadda yadda. The only place that sold the media remotely close to me was closed on Saturdays and before I got off work, so it never happened. The brush and Dad's zip strip eventually did the trick.

Eventually I got to here:

Notice the potential hack monkey coming out to check on progress (far right). He's all bandaged up from his trip the previous evening to the doggie emergency room after getting his ass kicked by a deer (thinks the vet).

And then to here...starting to look like Swiss cheese in places...

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 09:33 AM
MotoJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #18
Ryushin Kan
kancho

Oddometer: 85
Grp

Thanks for providing the description of GRP Abenteuerfahrer, the time difference doesn't help!

I'm off to Andy Tiernan's Motorcycle Emporium for a drool later today, will take camera and hope he don't mind me recording some of his treasures - google him if you need to see more! Old school God in these parts.....
Ryushin Kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Wow, serious pRon there, RK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin Kan View Post
Thanks for providing the description of GRP Abenteuerfahrer, the time difference doesn't help!

I'm off to Andy Tiernan's Motorcycle Emporium for a drool later today, will take camera and hope he don't mind me recording some of his treasures - google him if you need to see more! Old school God in these parts.....
Check this out, guys: http://www.andybuysbikes.com/Bikes.htm

That leads me to a note about Camp F*ck'n F*ck. My pal Tom, who's been gracious enough to help me with my project, maintains an ubercool little shop here in Baltimore. A great place to spend an afternoon- you never know what will show up. Tom has helped many a rider keep their vintage bike on the road as a daily driver- he's more of a functionality guy than a restorer, although he's done a bit o' that. He specializes in airheads, and he's known as a sidecar guy. He's folk you want around after the Zombie Apocalypse. He could build an escape vehicle out of an old Briggs & Stratton and roller skates...

Here he is delicately adjusting one of the frame mounts with a BFH...

Lock up your wives and daughters! (No, really. Must be the hair...)

Tom built and raced this /2 based kneeler rig pretty successfully a few years ago...

Here it is in action...

Some random shots of the Camp...

This /5 based rig has been across the country and back numerous times. Need a BIG tank...

Here's a daily driver /2 with loads of miles...

Here's one of Tom's resurrections. Pieced together from a few bikes and saved from being dismembered on EBay. Now it will accrue many happy miles for it's owner and he'll hardly ever have to stop for gas...

Bikes like this one and all manner of other eclectic rides stop by at random. It's way cooler than any Camp I went to as a kid!

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 10:58 AM
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Back to work

So now I had to do the interior. More stripper and brushing and then it got the hose again.

The POR-15 Trunk Repair Kit came in. Has everything you need. I ended up buying some POR seam-fill extra, too. The trunk repair kit comes with some fiberglass matt. I bought some glass mesh cloth too from Salvo Auto to supplement that. The POR-15 is basically an epoxy paint that hardens just like a glass coat. Paint on the POR, lay down the mesh, paint over with POR. Presto! Floor pan repaired.

I used the seam fill on all the seams (imagine that) I also used a little bit of Bondo with glass fiber to pack into the major holes. Not pretty, but it should be waterproof and the rust should be arrested. I covered the whole floor nose to trunk with mesh and layed it about 3" up the sides of the tub to cover all the holes.

The kit comes with an etcher called Metal Ready that arrests the rust and helps form a chemical bond with the POR. That's the cloudy stuff you'll see in the pics. The kit came with black and silver POR. I used it all.

It's all pretty self-explanatory.....

I'm going to blast through this process with the pics. This tub stuff is getting boring.

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 09:39 AM
Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,480
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #22
Ryushin Kan
kancho

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Check this out, guys: http://www.andybuysbikes.com/Bikes.htm

That leads me to a note about Camp F*ck'n F*ck. My pal Tom, who's been gracious enough to help me with my project, maintains an ubercool little shop here in Baltimore. A great place to spend an afternoon- you never know what will show up. Tom has helped many a rider keep their vintage bike on the road as a daily driver- he's more of a functionality guy than a restorer, although he's done a bit o' that. He specializes in airheads, and he's known as a sidecar guy. He's folk you want around after the Zombie Apocolypse. He could build an escape vehicle out of an old Briggs & Stratton and roller skates...

Here he is delicately adjusting one of the frame mounts with a BFH...

Lock up your wives and daughters! (No, really. Must be the hair...)

Tom built and raced this /2 based kneeler rig pretty successfully a few years ago...

Here it is in action...

Some random shots of the Camp...

This /5 based rig has been across the country and back numerous times. Need a BIG tank...

Here's a daily driver /2 with loads of miles...

Here's one of Tom's resurrections. Pieced together from a few bikes and saved from being dismembered on EBay. Now it will accrue many happy miles for it's owner and he'll hardly ever have to stop for gas...

Bikes like this one and all manner of other eclectic rides stop by at random. It's way cooler than any Camp I went to as a kid!
Now that's what you call re-cycling!

Sorry guys, I must be getting old, went to Andy's and forgot the camera! However thanks to MotoJ for posting the link - the shop is very similar to above but with a more eclectic mix of bikes and brands. promise to take it next time
Ryushin Kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #23
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083

Next instalment please

I'm hooked
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #24
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Thanks for the interest, fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post

Next instalment please

I'm hooked
I was a little daunted by the serious expenditures of skill, engineering, and dough in some of these other build threads. My project isn't truly a "build", in the sense that I'm not machining parts or making my own frame, etc. More of an assemblage of parts and slathering some paint (lots of paint!). Some of the inmates here are truly artists when it comes to this stuff. But, the other end of the spectrum has to signify too, right? Have to establish a baseline!

So let's get rid of the paint stuff finally and get back to the nitty-gritty of hanging the chair on the bike...

Since this rig is going to have to live outside (under a tarp or cover) all year round, I wasn't going to consider lipsticking this pig. I wanted finishes that could stand up to sun, rain, snow, sand, and salt. And, since the tub was already so dinged up, I figured I would go with an "industrial" look. This would give me options on products normally not used for finished bodywork, plus it would camoflage my lack of skill (and a sprayer).

I was thinking marine grade finishes. And instead of yacht, think listing rusty freighter...

I set aside my blue bodywork. It was pretty crappy itself, but it was all original paint and it matched. If I go back to a solo, I can put it back the way it was.

I scored a $50 POS bashed in tank off EBay and Tom gave me some old /5 fenders off a wreck he had squirrelled away. I also have two mismatched sidecovers, but I might not be able to fit them in the end. I discovered the tank had pinholes all along the bottom, so it ended up costing me additional $$ in tank repair kit. Sigh.

For the final topcoat on everything, I went with a POR-15 product called Metal Mask: http://www.por15.com/METAL-MASK/productinfo/MMH/.

One quart put two coats on the tub and bodywork, and I still have some in my refrigerator. I went through a lot of foam brushes, though!

Young Fred has been showing a lot of interest. He's positively cross-eyed with delight...Hopefully he'll actually want to ride...

Old dog will definitely ride!

The cracks at all four corners of the cockpit combing have been welded and faired in with Bondo at this point...

Went crazy and undercoated with a cheapo rubberized aerosal undercoat from Salvo. Not necessary, but more of an aesthetic thing. On the interior, I undercoated it and used a light blue floor paint I had on the shelf. I was thinking it would give some grip for paws and reflect some sun so it didn't get too hot in there...

Even cut a mat for a mini-van. Also from Salvo...

So, I'm done messing with paint for now....

Let's see what's happening with the bike and the endeavor of attaching a chair to it...

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 06:44 AM
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #25
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

The Nitty-Gritty

So, I knew I needed a subframe to take the stress off the /7 frame, especially with a heavy chair like the Dnepr. On Tom's /5 rig he has a home-made subframe, and the initial plan was to make another for my bike, out of 1/4" and 1/2" steel. The Dnepr frame uses "bell and jaws" mounts that clamp onto 30 mm. balls that are part of the Dnepr bike frame. Same setup on /2 BMWs and Urals. I searched high and low for some balls (hee-hee, "balls"), and finally came across a link for Old Timer Garage in Poland: http://www.oldtimergarage.szn.pl/ in a thread on the Russian Iron site. I bought a pair of balls (snicker) for about $10 apiece, USD. Shipping was $22. Not too bad...

These were cut off a Dnepr bike frame. In fact, the guy cut right through the frame tube, then halved that, so each ball has a saddle so it can be welded to something (like a home-made subframe). Just think, there's so many junk Dnepr frames in Poland that they can trash a whole frame for $20.

Incidentally, the Russian Iron and Soviet Steeds sites are great resources for anything Russian sidecar related. I even bought from "He Who Must Not Be Named" in Ohio, via EBay. He did OK by me, but from what I hear, don't ever buy a whole rig from the guy.

Anyway, from those places, I scored the 18" wheel I wanted, a backer plate with brake and cable, a shock, a fender, and lights. I also found a second set of balls (hahaha-oh my lord), to keep in reserve.

The lights were FREE from Matman72. He has a really cool Ural build thread up here. I met him over on Russian Iron, I think. Thanks again, Matman72!

The Russian tire on the wheel looks brand new, but the bearings suck, so new tapered Timkens are going in.

So that was the plan- make a subframe. I started lurking around the shipping container place behind the wood shop where I work looking for scrap steel. But, one night while surfing this site, I came across this bit of tail:

Yowza! This was also put up in a thread by BMWEuro (thanks again, Chris!). He had purchased it to use on a customer's R90/Ural project, but decided on an even beefier subframe arrangement. So, another couple PMs and it was in my sweaty palms. A lot of dough, but I knew it would be strong and engineered well. Made by Matthias Bauhs, in Germany.

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 10:04 AM
Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #26
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Houston, we have a problem....

Things had been moving along fairly briskly, considering the hellish hot weather we'd been experiencing. Now we had to start the process of hanging the chair. I was actually starting to get some nerves in my gut: I'm gonna have to ride this contraption soon!

So basically we have three pieces that need to go together in some arrangement that is secure, safe, and makes adjustments to the whole rig allowable.

First, the bike. New livery, new wide-as-steerhorns-bars, killer brakes (compared to the former single disk), and a charging system that will light up my house and charge the battery at just off idle. New chrome headers and cross piece too (what the heck, eh?)

Notice the brass bar end weights turned by Tom from a big chunk o'brass. Knurled, too!

Next, we have the sidecar frame. Pretty rough, but I'm not going to start prettying it up until we're done with our mock-up. That shock is stiff! I'm gonna have to start dating some biiig girls to take full advantage of that.

Finally, we have this, the crucial piece that serves as the liason between bike and car, the all important Point of Attachment- pure powder-coated sex, and costing twice as much as the entire sidecar:

Should all be done in a jiff, right?

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 10:13 AM
Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #27
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Looks like fun MotoJ, the satisfaction you will have when it's all done will be worth the effort.

The good thing about starting with such a rough base means you can pretty much do what you like along the way to make it usable.

And nothing like having a piano in the workshop for a little sing along while on a "beer break".
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #28
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,462
Small world. My wife used to date Tom. And, I owned a Ural. Have fun with that build!
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #29
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Thanks Ock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Looks like fun MotoJ, the satisfaction you will have when it's all done will be worth the effort.

The good thing about starting with such a rough base means you can pretty much do what you like along the way to make it usable.

And nothing like having a piano in the workshop for a little sing along while on a "beer break".
Yeah, it has been fun. I did a lot of reading, despite saying this has been a seat of the pants build. It is going to do what I want it for, although I'm sure there'll be tweaking as I learn how to drive it and discover deficiencies.

And for breaks there's also a couple Marshall stacks in there. Not a lot of shredding going on, but the Itunes through the stacks and PA make for a very loud work environment! Just the thing to set the mood.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #30
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Is this Alan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Small world. My wife used to date Tom. And, I owned a Ural. Have fun with that build!
yeah, it's a small world. Were you in Baltimore, RRA? Part of the Chris, Bucky, Tex vintage race crew? I did see a 650 Ural rig at Tom's shop a few times. Was that yours? I may have met you once or twice.

Anyway, thanks for checking out the thread!