Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #46
Hypochondrius
pretentious hipster

Oddometer: 254
Also, getting low over the handlebars helps. I'm not sure what tucking my junk back does exactly but I can't argue with results.
Hypochondrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #47
351 power
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
picked up another vino today for my wife. we will get some great cruising in
351 power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #48
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351 power View Post
picked up another vino today for my wife. we will get some great cruising in
Good for you!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #49
Barterer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I just got a Vino 125 that was cheap but has been dropped a couple of times.

Could one of you Vinoers do me a favor? Go about 30mph on a smooth flat road, let go of the grips and tell me which way it heads Mine pulls left a bit, but I am not sure if it's because my frame/forks/swingarm is bent somewhere, or just that the gear case is heavier than the muffler.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #50
351 power
Adventurer

Kathy's vino was dropped and got some repairs before we bought it. Top of the steering column I think. Good now. Probably put 400 miles on it now
351 power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #51
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Big Country were an awesome band. Saw 'em back in '85 on The Seer Tour.

RIP Stuart Adamson.....

Vino is a good scooter, btw. Hope it all works out.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #52
Barterer
Adventurer

Yeah, I haven't figured out the front plastics yet to check out the front alignment/steering stem etc.. but did clean out the carb yesterday, which involves removing a lot of mid-to-rear panels. Runs great!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #53
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I have a Vino 125, an '08 that I bought new. I have over 15,000 miles on it, 99% of that at full throttle. I have had one problem with it, and that is the upper exhaust bolt. Extremely poor design. Actually I believe it was an afterthought on Yamaha's part. That bracket is covered by EPA GARBAGE, which I removed. I replaced the broken bolt with a much stronger one, and shimmed it with tubing to make the outside diameter fit the bracket a lot better. So far so good. The only other issue I have is where they put the gas cap, but I'd rather deal with that than to have to have a $300 failure prone fuel pump, like my Honda Met. One HUGE plus for me is the simple computer free carbureted engine. It performs beautifully, and is simple and easy to work on. And you won't have expensive third world made electronics failing on you.

The mileage is poor, about 70 mpg, but then I weigh 220. The real problem is the 1 gallon tank. Lots of time I have to carry an extra gallon of gas, which fits under the seat.

One thing the Vino 125 is NOT is just an around town scooter, unless you want it to be. Despite it being technically illegal, I have ridden my Vino 125 (with the 125 emblems removed) from Phoenix to San Diego and back on I-8 TWICE. Now , that particular section of road is not your typical freeway. It is mostly deserted, and what traffic there is is mostly semi trucks. They give you a big boost in speed when they pass. Yes, I stayed in the right lane and wore an orange reflective road construction vest.

I would buy a new Vino 125 right now for $2K. Heck, I'd buy 2 of them. But they are all gone in my area. Kymco makes a great scooter, and I would have no problem owning one. And the Agility 125 is a well made scooter. But it does not have the quality fit and finish or the attention to detail that the Vino has. Not even close. It just looks cheap, while the Vino looks like a Vespa.

The Buddy 125 is also a good scooter, It would be a close second choice for me. If the Yamaha dealer tries to rob you with a bunch of bogus fees, then I would head to a Genuine dealer. I don't have a Buddy, but I do have a Genuine Stella 2 stroke, and love it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #54
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barterer View Post
I just got a Vino 125 that was cheap but has been dropped a couple of times.

Could one of you Vinoers do me a favor? Go about 30mph on a smooth flat road, let go of the grips and tell me which way it heads Mine pulls left a bit, but I am not sure if it's because my frame/forks/swingarm is bent somewhere, or just that the gear case is heavier than the muffler.
It could be crown sensitive as many bikes are. Try it in the other lane going the wrong direction.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #55
Barterer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
It could be crown sensitive as many bikes are. Try it in the other lane going the wrong direction.
When traveling across a slope, it definitely "heads downhill" provided the slope is enough.. but hands-off riding will send it up a typical road crown toward the centerline. It has "extra" road crown correction. Everything looks straight when I sight down the wheels with the scooter on the centerstand. I'm gonna check out the steering stem and forks when I get time.. need to learn how the rest of the bodywork comes apart so I can see exactly what I got.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #56
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would buy a new Vino 125 right now for $2K. Heck, I'd buy 2 of them. But they are all gone in my area. Kymco makes a great scooter, and I would have no problem owning one. And the Agility 125 is a well made scooter. But it does not have the quality fit and finish or the attention to detail that the Vino has. Not even close. It just looks cheap, while the Vino looks like a Vespa. .
I would challenge that "cheap" comment for the Agility IF it's well cared for with the proper products. Mine arguably looks better then showroom new with over 10,000 miles on the clock. People like it and have even called it "nice" believe it or not. No chrome on it, but meh.

How DARE YOU, sir!

j/k

But, there is THIS to consider. Check it out at :47

yeah boi!!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #57
JerryH
Banned

The Kymco Agility is NOT a cheap scooter, and will almost certainly last just as long as the Vino. But just looking at them side by side, the Vino 125 just seems to be better detailed, and I like the shape better. It is wider, and has a wider seat and floorboards. While the Kymco is a high quality scooter (and I certainly wouldn't mind owning one) it just has more of a Chinese look to it (to me) One big issue with the Vino is that it is no longer available. And I wonder just how much longer the Agility 125 will be available with a carbureted engine. I won't buy a scooter with electronics on it. I sold my 2007 Honda Met when the $300 ECU failed, and the really sad part of it is, that thing didn't even need to be there, but they designed it so the ECU controlled the fuel pump. Being carbureted, I didn't know it had a computer, or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. At least the Vino does not have one, and I don't believe the Agility does either.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #58
Barterer
Adventurer

Yep. The Agility 125 is a good scooter (as well as the Buddy 150) and both were contenders. Now to get my wife on the Vino.

To answer my question about the leftward drift: I saw another Vino 125 advertised and took it for a test ride. It handles exactly like mine. So, either that one was wrecked in the same manner as mine and both scooters are tweaked, or (most likely) it is a case of "they all do that" and I was just being an OCD SOB. The handling is a result of the somewhat heavy gearcase on the left side.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #59
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OTOH, maybe not. I finally got a chance to stop by the dealer today. Took a look at a Vino. It looked good, much more substantial than my Elite 50. I asked him about the $1995 deal. He said "yes, plus a few other charges." Then he wanted to sit down and talk about it. Sure, let's sit down. He played around on a calculator for a fw minutes and came up with $3189 out-the-door. I thanked him politely and left. I mean seriously. Wtf?

I just saw this. Looks VERY familiar. ALL the Japanese dealers around here try to pull that crap. The only "other charges" should have been sales tax, title, and registration. My guess is the rest of it was a huge "doc" fee, "freight", and "setup" Your lucky they didn't try to coerce you into buying a 5 year extended warranty and a "service plan" for a couple grand more, like they do around here.

However, while the $3189 was a ripoff because of the advertised price, it is still a few hundred below the original MSRP. Of course you have to figure in depreciation and resale value, or most people would. I would have been very tempted to pay that much for it, having had 4 years experience with the Vino, and having found a solution to it's few problems. I have ridden the Buddy 125, and much prefer the Vino. I would just love to have a new one around, for whenever my current one ever wears out, that is IF it ever wears out.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #60
351 power
Adventurer

sounds like you have lots of experience on the vino jerryh. i just changed my first rear tire on the vino tonite. didn't go too bad. put on a pirelli sc30 to replace the oem tire [7500+ kms but it had a plug that leaked some]. hope i don't regret the tube tire. didn't see it was tube type till it arrived in the mail. will most likely change the rear skock this yr too, to get an adjustable one.