Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #76
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,559
Most of the miles on my Vino were on 2 lane rural roads with speed limits up to 65 mph. You can safely ride on such roads, but you cannot ride with traffic. Think bicycle. I ride just to the inside of the solid white line to the right, and if a vehicle comes up behind me (yes you have to watch your mirrors), and there is oncoming traffic (which happens about 20% of the time on these roads) I just move across the line onto the paved shoulder. I do wear a white helmet and an orange reflective vest. Before I got into scooters, I rode pedal mopeds on the same roads, and also used to ride bicycles on them. I have never came close to getting hit.

Some think that you have to be able to maintain freeway speed and have some in reserve just to ride on the freeway. That's not the case either. I put 20,000 freeway miles on a Honda Rebel 250 that topped out at about the speed limit, with nothing in reserve, and slowed down considerably when going up even slight grades, or in headwinds. Again I dressed for visibility, stayed in the right lane, and watched my mirrors. Never had any problems. Many times I came up behind some old vehicle pulling a trailer at 50-55 mph when the speed limit was 75. I just fell in behind them, turned my headlight off, and took the opportunity to ride at a more reasonable speed for the bike.

I made 3 trips from Phoenix to San Diego and back on I-8 on my Vino 125. That's over 800 miles, with speed limits of mostly 75 mph. But it is also a mostly deserted road with mostly truck traffic, and you can see for miles ahead of you. While climbing mountains, the Vino got down to 30 mph, but I never felt like I was in any danger except from the cops.

I am planning to buy a new scooter in the next few days that will not do 75 mph. My main reason for buying it is the engine is big enough to be freeway legal. I don't plan on a lot of freeway riding, but some is unavoidable if you are actually going to get anywhere. I know it won't keep up with left lane traffic, and I will ride accordingly. Many places out west it is legal to ride bicycles on the shoulders of freeways, simply because there is no other way to get somewhere.

Now, on the urban freeways, like the 101, 202, 60, and 51 around metro Phoenix you would have to be crazy to get on one of those with anything that won't do at least 100 mph, and reach it quickly. Unlike wide open cross country interstates, traffic on these is like a stampede, 6 lanes wide bumper to bumper (think LA) there is no slow lane, and speeds vary from 0 to over 80 mph, often changing back and forth every few minutes. LOTS of rear end collisions and even pileups due to cell phone impaired drivers. I try to stay off these roads even in a car.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #77
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
Jerry you are a brave man! 800 miles of illegal driving!!! lol!!! The vino was a scooter I once consider, it had that vespa smell and look but made in Japan so I translated it to a more efficient and trouble free scooter. HOw ever they are not sold in Mexico so just to have it legal would be like 600-900 USD so I figure I would but a Mexican scooter and save me that money for GAs for a 2-4 years!

what scooter do want to buy now?

Damasovi
Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #78
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
Jerry you are a brave man! 800 miles of illegal driving!!! lol!!! The vino was a scooter I once consider, it had that vespa smell and look but made in Japan so I translated it to a more efficient and trouble free scooter. HOw ever they are not sold in Mexico so just to have it legal would be like 600-900 USD so I figure I would but a Mexican scooter and save me that money for GAs for a 2-4 years!

what scooter do want to buy now?

Damasovi
Probably just stupid. I have no idea what the fine would have been, or how I would have gotten the scooter back had I been stopped. But law enforcement has become much stricter around here than it was even a couple of years ago, so I'm getting a little paranoid. Just 25cc more and I would have been legal, even if not any faster. Not going to take that kind of risk for because of 25cc anymore.

I could not find a Blur. One dealer said he could get me one, but it would be full price with fees. I got offered a new Buddy 170 he had on the floor for $3199 OTD. That's $200 under MSRP, and includes everything. He has 3 left. I will most likely be back in after it on Tuesday morning. Something about the Buddy just seems to fit me, and it is small, the 170cc is pretty much the same size as the 50cc. The fit and finish is better than the Vino and the Zuma. Only thing I didn't like was that oil cooler mounted down low right under the front wheel. At least it had a guard around it.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #79
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I just did a 310 mile trip around the southern part of my state recently, 90% of it on roads with a 65 mph speed limit, and had no issues at all, other than CARS being too slow when I got close to a town. It easily maintained 50 mph, and I occasionally got it up to an indicated 60 mph down a couple of long hills. I also passed the 25,000 mile mark today, with no issues other than regular maintenance. It still feels just as strong now as it did when new.

The old farm house where I grew up in the early '70s is still standing, though a bit worse for wear.

This is the post office where we used to wait for the school bus back in elementary school. Still looks basically the same.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #80
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,108
Question Gummed up carb.

Looks like the additives didn't stop the gas from gumming up the carb over the winter. It will start and idle but won't take any throttle w/o dying.

Any carb cleaning tips or ideas specific to the Vino out there?

joenuclear screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 08:53 AM Reason: clarity
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #81
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Looks like the additives didn't stop the gas from gumming up the carb over the winter. It will start and idle but won't take any throttle w/o dying.

Any carb cleaning tips or ideas specific to the Vino out there?
It will probably require removing the carb and giving it a good cleaning. Fuel stabilizers don't work well with ethanol gas, and even when they are used, the carb should be drained. There is a float bowl drain screw on the carb.

The first thing I would try is removing the fuel line from the vacuum valve, draining the float bowl (it may already be empty) but open the drain screw to let anything that might be in there out, then close it. Take a tiny funnel, and attach it to the open end of the fuel line going to the carb. Fill the carb with Seafoam. Now crank the engine. This is to suck the Seafoam up into the jets. The engine may fire, even run a few seconds on the Seafoam, and make black smoke. This will not hurt anything. Seafoam contains naptha, so it will ignite in an engine. I would try this procedure several times before giving up and taking the carb apart. It has worked quite often. After the engine is running good, put some Seafoam in the gas, and run a couple tankfuls of gas with Seafoam in it through the engine. You will probably have to remove some of the bodywork to get to the carb/fuel hose. I believe I got to it by removing the left side panel, but that was a few years ago, not sure now.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #82
joenuclear
Planning.....

Thumb

Thanks Jerry! I'll get into it this week and let you know it goes.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #83
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
user JerryH's Vino is a battle scoot, indeed!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #84
joenuclear
Planning.....

I tried Jerry's method with SeaFoam and the scooter wouldn't start. I pulled the body panels, pet tray, and carburetor. The main jet and idle/emulsion jet were completely plugged. The pilot jet [hidden under the diaphram] had a little film on it. I cleaned the jets with a few strands of fine copper wire and reassembled the scooter. A couple of squirts of carb cleaner were shot into the intake to get the engine running and draw vacuum on the petcock. It didn't want to idle correctly until I rode it around the block but it now idles and runs well.

Lesson learned, drain the carb every Winter.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #85
Jim Moore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,522
Hey, I've been all over AZ. Where the hell is Arlington?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #86
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Hey, I've been all over AZ. Where the hell is Arlington?
It's a small farming community on Old Highway U.S. 80, between Gila Bend and MC85. it has a population of 194. This is an area that has not yet been devastated by developers, it remains much as it was over 50 years ago.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #87
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 506
Vino 125 Pros and Cons

Granted this is a 3 year old thread, but it keeps coming up for air.
I have been riding a Yamaha Vino 125 for the last month, and here are a couple of things I've observed.

Cons-
This thing is Slooooow. Probably could be improved with lighter rollers.
Small Fuel Tank
Very low ground clearance.
Engine is harder to get at than most scooters in this displacement range.
Not a lot of aftermarket fun parts.

Pros-
Solid little bike, much tighter after 5K miles than most Taiwanese scooters. Excellent fit, finish and paint quality.
Headlight is part of fairing, not handlebars, better lighting at night.
Exceedingly reliable.
Highly maneuverable.
Excellent brakes and stability while stopping.

If you like to keep things stock, want to buy once and be done with it, and want something a little bigger than a 50cc bike for runs to the store and occasionally riding around downtown with a passenger, this is an excellent choice. If you are looking for something to ride back and forth twenty miles each way to work on 55 MPH+ roads, I wouldn't recommend it.

Motovista screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 12:53 PM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #88
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC View Post
Granted this is a 3 year old thread, but it keeps coming up for air.
I have been riding a Yamaha Vino 125 for the last month, and here are a couple of things I've observed.

Cons-
This thing is Slooooow. Probably could be improved with lighter rollers.
Small Fuel Tank
Very low ground clearance.
Engine is harder to get at than most scooters in this displacement range.
Not a lot of aftermarket fun parts.

Pros-
Solid little bike, much tighter after 5K miles than most Taiwanese scooters. Excellent fit, finish and paint quality.
Headlight is part of fairing, not handlebars, better lighting at night.
Exceedingly reliable.
Highly maneuverable.
Excellent brakes and stability while stopping.

If you like to keep things stock, want to buy once and be done with it, and want something a little bigger than a 50cc bike for runs to the store and occasionally riding around downtown with a passenger, this is an excellent choice. If you are looking for something to ride back and forth twenty miles each way to work on 55 MPH+ roads, I wouldn't recommend it.
Did I mention I have 25,000 miles on mine, mostly highway (not freeway) where the speed limits were usually 55-65? Yes I got passed by everybody. I just rode to the far right and gave them room, bicycle style.

It is a bit slower than the Zuma 125, but my biggest issue is that it won't climb. The rollers may have something to do with it. I replaced mine with stock. Not into modifying scooters. It keeps up just fine in town, maybe a tiny bit slow off the line, again the Zuma is faster.

My biggest problems with it are the tiny tank (mine runs out of gas in about 70 miles) and the really dumb fuel filler location, making the rack pretty much worthless for anything but strapping a gas jug to, which I do on a regular basis because of the small tank.

It is reliable in the extreme. In 25,000 miles, the only issue I had was the top exhaust bolt broke. Bad design. In looking at it, it was probably not originally designed that way, Yamaha likely changed the design when they added EPA emissions crap to it, without realizing how that change affected it's structural integrity. I removed the emissions crap, and modified the design. My repair has held up for over 20,000 miles. I have adjusted the valves once.

I have been riding long distances on small bikes now for over 40 years. Many believe you have to have a bike that will outrun cars or it is not safe. IMO it is not safe anyway. But it's fun. But for anybody, even those who would never consider taking a long trip on it, the Vino 125 is an absolutely perfect scooter for zipping around town, and properly maintained, might very well last a lifetime.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #89
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It is reliable in the extreme. In 25,000 miles, the only issue I had was the top exhaust bolt broke. Bad design. In looking at it, it was probably not originally designed that way, Yamaha likely changed the design when they added EPA emissions crap to it, without realizing how that change affected it's structural integrity. I removed the emissions crap, and modified the design. My repair has held up for over 20,000 miles..
I ended up replacing the broken stock exhaust with an NCY, and I have another Vino in the shop where someone tried to reweld the exhaust, didn't align it right, and then decided to bolt it up anyway, breaking off an exhaust stud in the head and another in the case, and then broke off an eazyout in the head. He rode it like that for months until the original belt finally broke, because if it's running, it doesn't need any service.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #90
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I bought a Vino when they first came out. I bought it on a whim. It was good-looking and a Yamaha so I figured it would be reliable and from what I've read, they are. I test rode it in a very flat city (Sierra Vista, AZ). However, I live in a mountain town and it just couldn't handle the grades. I put 5K miles on it, never had a problem of any sort. But I sold it because it was under-powered. Now I have a SYM HD 200 EVO and it goes 60 up the same grade the Vino topped out at 30. I wish they had made the Vino with larger wheels and engine. I'd probably still be driving it.
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote