Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #46
DryFire
n00b

Oddometer: 9
It was so cool to come across that little refreshment stand in what most around here would call the middle of no where. As a new rider it astonishes me the friendly people you come across when you travel by bike. For them to provide us with drinks, maps, and a tour of the house was awesome. This pics don't do that place justice in any way shape or form. I thought he said they had around 30 acres however with an additional 6 that he would add if someone was interested. Then of course there was the much larger holdings around his place, and pretty much no one for quite a ways. The view from that back deck and out the back windows would be priceless in the fall. Call me envious either way, but some day I too hope to own my little piece of creation.

That was a result of a piece of that lovely quartz, I hope my wife appreciates it, lol. I had picked up a piece and I figured it was a bit too big to be hauling all over the UP so I managed to break it into a couple of pieces. So as I selected the lucky piece, it decided to put up a fight and bite me. At least I know that a piece of freshly busted quartz makes a great field expedient knife, lol.

It was nice to sit back and watch this guy at work. It didn't take him much to trim down those logs to length. As for the large spinning wheel of death I was more used to seeing oversided chainsaw blades instead of one large roatary one, but hey it all gets the job done. He did a quick job of clearing out the brush and branches for us too.

Often when I am in a remote area, be it backpacking or riding, I have to ask myself what the people in the area do for income, and then I come across things like this. If it isn't logging it may be an entrance to a mine site, something that we so often take for granted but never really stop to think where this stuff comes from. It is funny how some of our most basic industry doesn't happen in the cities where we often think it would, but in the middle of no where.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #47
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
As a 5-time and current KLR owner, I love finding KLR RR's.

Looks like a great ride, I've enjoyed the pics a lot.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #48
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
I guess this is as good a time as any to take a quick break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gporter View Post

And on another note maybe you should let some of us know how the baby is doing. I have a three month old sitting in front of me now

Thanks for asking. The Mother-to-be and Baby-to-be are both doing really well. We're getting closer and are (hopefully) about 9 weeks out. The time I used to spend perusing ADVRider has, for quite awhile, gotten re-assigned. I researched diaper pails for about three hours the other night.

Even though it gets me in trouble at home sometimes, I've been using Twitter to share most of the things I've learned along the way they don't put in baby books.

http://twitter.com/MikeLKinsey

Now my wife is worried I'm going to humorously live tweet the Birth like I did when we were filling the #BabyRegistry.

Anyway, some highlights expectant Dads should know that no one else will tell you
:

-- Birth might not be her lying in bed like it's always shown in the movies. They have freaking jungle gyms and large bouncy balls to help them get in position.

-- I'm fascinated with the thought of someone riding the big birthing balls at the hospital. Funny how mothers will end their miraculous journey the same way it began.

-- Don't eat before you go to your first birthing class. You will watch videos. They will frighten you.

-- I was always (silently) freaked out about where the water was going to break. Do we need rubber sheets on the bed? What if she's in the car? Will I have to call in HazMat to our living room? Apparently it's not as much like a Gallagher show as I imagined.

-- I'm 31 years old. My son is negative 2 months old. He owns at least four times as many shirts as I do.

-- Support, cherish, and love your wife to your full capacity, (hi Honey
) , she's going through many more life changes than you are, even if sometimes you end up as ...... uhhhmmmmm ...... collateral damage.

Can't wait to meet the little guy.

Dad still has and maintains the 1984 Honda Z50 they bought me when I was six.

Behind that in the garage is the 1975? (1976?) Honda CT70 we fixed up together when I was a little older and ready for it.

Mom and Dad also bought him his first ADV Bike they'll give him some Christmas or Birthday. The heavy duty tires on this thing should make it quite offroad worthy.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #49
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 447
Great report!!

This is the first report ive read about UPAT, very cool!

Congrats on becoming a father!
Its the most rewarding experience!!
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #50
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Glad you found the report NHWoodsRider! It's definitely a fun route.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #51
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Since we're still In Intermission while I process the next batch of pics... I thought I'd list what was brought along since there seems to be interest in that.

Most wrenches and a few misc tools live in my stock KLR toolkit area. The rest are in my PVC tool tube attached to the front of the skid plate.

1- Wrenches
2- Tire Spoons, wrapped with Electrical Tape & Duct Tape
3- Trail Stand
4- JB Stik
5- Leatherman
6- Zip Ties
7- Spark Plug Wrench
8- Spare Spark Plug in Holder, Extra Fuses in Holder
9- 12v Air Compressor
10- Michigan ORV sticker (needed for many parts of this route)
11- 1/4 Ratchet, Sockets, Extensions
12- Four-In-One Screwdriver, Socket Handle, Hex Wrench Set
13- Locking Pliers
14- Tire Repair Kit (Valve stem tool, Valve stems, etc.)
15- Stock Screwdriver Bits
16- Emergency Fire Starter Kit

Not Pictured:
Front Spare Tube
Rear Spare Tube
Oiled Air Filter Spare

1- First Aid, Toiletries
2- Mosquito Head Net, Deet
3- Stove Fuel
4- Coffee Mug, Coffee, Press
5- Emergency TP, Tissues
6- Food: Summer Sausage, Ramen, CLIF Bars, Oatmeal, Mountain House (not pictured)
7- MSR Pocket Rocket Stove
8- Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter
9- Camp Sandals

2x Moisture Wicking Shirts
1x Cotton T Shirt
Small Towel
Buff
4x Socks
4x Underwear
WileyX Sunglasses

1- Michigan Map, OH ADV Stickers
2- SPOT
3- Garmin GPSMap 60C
4- Flashlight
5- Headlamp
6- Notebook, Pen
7- 550 Cord
8- Spyderco Endura Wave Knife
9- Extra Camera Memory Card
10- Watch
11- 12v Phone Charger
12- 12v GPS Power Cord
13- Extra SPOT Lithium Batteries
14- Michigan ORV Sticker (pictured again)

Not Pictured:
Yaesu FT-60R Dual Band Radio (emergency contact and weather NOAA weather)

2 Quart Canteen
2 Liter Camelbak knockoff
Goggles
Knee Guards

Not Pictured:

REI Halfdome Tent, Footprint, Stakes
Collapsible Camp Pillow
20 degree Sleeping Bag
Self-inflating Sleeping Pad
(Above carried in KLR tail bag and Dry Bag)

Joe Rocket 3-in-1 Mesh to Waterproof Armored Jacket (forget the model name)
Cheap-o Riding Pants (bought on clearance online)
Sidi Adventure Rain Boots
Icon Armored Gloves
AFX FX39 Helmet

Stuff DryFire carried I didn't have to duplicate. Obviously he had his own stuff as well.

Chain Lube
Tarp
Saw
Mess Kit

The only thing I forgot and actually missed on the trip was some kind of silverware. I skipped hot breakfast on our second morning because of it. No big deal.

I packed more clothes than I needed, but knew that going in. When loading up there was space for it and an extra Tshirt and pair of underwear doesn't weigh much.

This was my first time "living off the bike". Yeah, we bought (great) food almost every meal, but we would've been just fine for awhile never seeing another soul with just what we were carrying. That was an empowering feeling I haven't felt before, and liked.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #52
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,621
"This was my first time "living off the bike". Yeah, we bought (great) food almost every meal, but we would've been just fine for awhile never seeing another soul with just what we were carrying. That was an empowering feeling I haven't felt before, and liked."

aah haa Welcome to the fringe!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #53
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,287
Excellent RR so far, MeanStreaker. I'm subscribed.

Almost (almost) as good as Cannonshot's stuff.

I recognize a lot of places. The UP is a great area.

You're passing out those ADV-OH stickers hand over fist, ain't ya? Leaving them as tips for wait staff, at little girl's lemonade stands....

Re: sand... go faster. A lot faster. Your tire choice might could have been better for sandy stuff, but hey, it must have worked out, right?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #54
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Excellent RR so far, MeanStreaker. I'm subscribed.
Thanks for following along man.

Quote:

You're passing out those ADV-OH stickers hand over fist, ain't ya? Leaving them as tips for wait staff, at little girl's lemonade stands....
I figure I better start handing them out, or I'll have to buy about 20 bikes that will wear them. I'm not good with temptation.

Quote:
Re: sand... go faster. A lot faster.
Hehe, yeah, we knew those were the words of wisdom going in. In a short time we were doing just fine and sliding through some pretty hairy spots that would have had us duckwalking on Day 1. I was impressed with our progress.

I know firsthand it's easier said than done on these (relatively) heavy bikes when new to sand to just throttle through it at first.

Quote:
Your tire choice might could have been better for sandy stuff, but hey, it must have worked out, right?
I had Kenda K270s and DryFire had the venerable D606s. There were a couple spots where I slipped around in some mud that he didn't have as much difficulty... but considering how my tires have worn so well (they saw about 1500 miles of extra pavement before this trip than DryFire's, still look perfectly fine, while Tim is about ready to change), and I like them well enough on the pavement, which is what the KLR mostly sees, I'll probably stick with these for awhile unless I'm embarking on a 3K mile grand adventure somewhere.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #55
U.P. Rider
Road Pilot

Oddometer: 13
I have been reading of your ADVentures over the last week and have enjoyed your recount of your trip though the U.P.. I live in the E.U.P. and recognize a few of those areas early on in the trip, especially the Raco airstrip where my brother and I have drag raced (oops!) a few times. I see adventure touring as a natural extension of backpacking (I have all the gear leftover from my wilderness trekking days) but just with wheels. I'm saving up for a ST and farkles which should get me back on the wilderness trail once again.
I'm subscribed to see what happens next.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #56
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Nice lookin' VMax!

Old 08-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #57
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Day 3 Contd - July 28, 2011 - Big Bay, MI to Copper Harbor, MI

Our original hope for Day 3 was to get all the way up to Copper Harbor, ride the zig-zags Cannon charted out, and get back down to Houghton to spend the night. Our long visit and tour at Sammi’s Homestead had put us behind and we don’t want to delay any further now that the trip is officially about half over.

Motoring along and enjoying great riding,

We see a sign for a scenic overlook. I therefore must hang a left. The view from the parking lot wasn’t impressive... and I see a small hiking path heading off into the woods.

Probably not supposed to do this, but the KLRs easily fit between the trees and we’ve come all this way... so off we went (carefully to leave no trace) on illegal single track.

The view was spectacular!

Apparently in looking back at the pics,

MeanStreaker’s Excitement > DryFire’s Excitement

The bikes take us safely back to the road and we keep trucking.

Eventually we come to a clearing and a small farm. For a long time we’ve been traveling through dense forest and the occasional small or mid size town. It was strange to see open, working field.

It was a colorful spot for a short break.

But we still have a long way to go.

A couple other small breaks throughout the afternoon at a Heritage Center and the abandoned Quincy Mine & Smelter:

We’re definitely in the thick of the Keweenaw Peninsula and the riding up here is probably the most beautiful of the entire trip.

MeanStreaker screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 03:46 PM
Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #58
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

The UPAT eventually turned us out onto Rt 41 for a little bit. We stop for a touristy shot,

Before making our way into Calumet and another touristy turn-off we can’t miss.

I fell in love with the U.P. on this trip, but don’t think I could handle that much winter. Born and raised in northeast Ohio, I’m used to complaining about the snow belt and lake effect coming off Erie, but this is ridiculous!

However, I imagine sitting on a snowmobile, which I’ve never done, might help me change my mind that things could be more tolerable.

Continuing to the Central Mine, we’re disappointed to arrive at 5:05PM, just after they close for the day.

From there it’s more excellent riding,

A lot of it on this stretch pretty darn technical, for a loooooong way.

I know my stomach was growling something fierce, and just about then we start seeing rustic signs for a lodge and restaurant. Way out here?

Considering the tiny snowmobile and dirt track we followed (and overcame) for a lot of miles, it was pretty neat to take this “back way” in. We figured there wasn’t anything else around and it was getting into the evening. I know I was hungry, so we stop.

The restaurant and general store was part of a secluded little resort on a lake that reminded me a lot of what you saw in the movie Dirty Dancing for some reason. Cabins and beautiful boats filled the big bay windows in the dining room.

Even though most folks were in simple beach clothes and smelled of suntan lotion, I got the feeling it was a well-moneyed resort spot. Could be totally wrong about that as it was just my gut speaking, but I definitely felt out of place with my mud-covered boots and goggle-outlined dirt face.

The place wasn’t that busy, but with only one girl working it took awhile to order and get our food. Worth the wait though!

Before leaving, I ask if I could get a few cans of beer to go as a night cap. She walks over to the general store and said they normally don’t break up sixxers, but someone earlier in the day only wanted a couple.

I told her I’d take three.

She said that’s perfect as she had four loosies looking for a home.

I immediately responded that I’d take four.

Can’t leave a lone soldier behind like that.

The beers went in DryFire’s top box and we continued on through more UPAT goodness and after a couple hours entered Copper Harbor.

It was getting pretty late, probably around 8:00 or 8:30PM at this point. I pulled in to a lot where a BMW rider and a Metric Cruiser rider were zipping up their jackets. Coming alongside, I say hello and ask,

”You know what the motels are going for here in town?”

“Not sure since we’re staying at the state campground just north of here.”

“What does that run? That will probably work.”

“$25 for a primitive tent site. Plus each bike needs an $8 vehicle pass.”

You’ve got to be kidding me! I thanked them and motioned for DryFire to come alongside.

”Hey Tim, you hear that?”

“No. What’s up?”

“They say camping will be about $40. So I’m betting a room will be way more than that. What do you want to do?”

“I don’t know. What do you want to do?”

”I don’t know. It’s getting pretty late and there isn’t anything else around. I guess we can just suck up the cost... but man, I think neither of us want to do that on pure principle! We either pay way too much to pitch a tent, or keep motoring out north and try to stealth camp at the old Rocket Range on the coast. Of course, there’s no way we could make it back before dark if things don't turn out for whatever reason.”

”Yeah, I don’t know.”

We sit there for a minute and look at each other.

To be heard over our earplugs and thumpers, I yell out,

”Screw it! It’s an Adventure! Let’s keep going.”

“Yeah! Let’s go!”

So off we blast through Copper Harbor. While passing the State Campground entrance I give the ol’ ADV salute through the falling darkness.

I look at the GPS and see Cannon has a tent icon placed a few miles off to the side from the Rocket Range we were heading towards. Hmmmm.

The road is in pretty good shape for the first part of the 9-10 miles out. It quickly gets worse. As I took the right fork in the road to get to what looks like a camp site on the mapset, it deteriorates incredibly fast. Before too long there are some serious whoops and majorly deep potholes.

Even though I wanted to blast through there in third gear, letting the suspension do its thing, and we probably would’ve been just fine, I kept the speeds low since the shadows were getting extremely deceptive and we only have a few more miles to go to finish out a long day. It would suck to get injured or break a bike at this point.

The severely rutted and rough “road” finally opens up and we emerge onto the coast. After re-reading Cannon’s report and looking at maps, I now know it's High Rock Bay.

I have no idea if we’re supposed to have bought a camping permit, or a vehicle pass, or what. Tim thinks we’re OK since we’re in state forest.

Oh well, I doubt anyone is coming out the ten miles on that crappy road tonight to tell us any different!

This place is beautiful!

I’ve slept many a night in a tent, but it’s always either been in at least a semi-designated camping area, or on a shooting range while running a Project Appleseed marksmanship event. This is the first time I’ve been ten miles out in the middle of wilderness, just pitching for the night.

While I’m snapping pics, DryFire takes a short walk down the beach to see if we have any neighbors anywhere.

When he comes back he starts talking about how terrible the black flies are. I notice his entire legs and the back of his jacket are COVERED! Then I look down and notice I’m completely covered!

Now, I don’t mean there were some flies buzzing around. I mean they were coating my pants to where you couldn’t see any fabric beneath. There were that many of them. Really weird. The flies weren’t biting or trying to get on our skin, just sticking to our pants and jackets.

And they wouldn’t fly away! You could swat your leg and literally kill a couple dozen at a time.

I’ve never seen anything like it!

After that discovery, we move back thirty yards or so from the coastline to see if it helps and set up camp.

With tents up and flies calming down some, it’s time to watch the final slivers of light disappear while enjoying a local brew.

Ahhhhh, by pure luck I got to enjoy the Keweenaw Brewing Company’s Pick Axe Blonde Ale. The beverage of choice for good lookin’ busty blondes that spend all day chipping away at ore veins and mud wrestling moose... just to owe their soul to the company store.

As darkness overtakes the northernmost tip of Michigan... and stars begin to show themselves, we zip into our tents and talk for awhile through the same netting a few dozen mosquitoes bounce against in futility.

What a great trip so far.

And we're only halfway done.

G’Night everyone.

UPAT DAY 3: Fin.

MeanStreaker screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 03:56 PM
Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #59
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,287
Very nice! On CTIII Tim, Zach and I arrived at the rocket range late at night, and that road was a bit off-putting in the dark.

I rank that camping spot as the best I've ever had.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #60
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

No doubt about it. Easily the best camping spot I've ever had.

I look forward to trying to one up it as many times as possible.