Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
TRX850 Adventure bike build

Now this is a beast!!
I've been watching and loving this thread for a while now, and finally decided to get off my backside and post some pics of my latest project. First some history. Some years ago I bought a Yamaha TRX850 road bike off a mate and absolutely loved the thing, especially the motor, except I'm a dirt biker at heart, and the riding position aggravated an old wrist injury, so I sold it to buy a dirt bike.
Fast forward a few years, and this puppy comes up on ebay and I buy it for just over $1100. Ugly as a hatful of assholes, with 17 inch front and rear wheels, with a badly fitting seat and the tanks been reshaped by a blind man with a large hammer!
Attached Images

Homerb screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 04:08 PM
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It actually started out like this.
Attached Images
Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So since I've had it I've replaced the wheel s with spoked 17" and 21" wheels off a KLR650 Kawasaki. Was given a KLR650 rolling chassis so fitted the KLR forks as it made it easier to fit the KLR wheel. Used the KLR calipers after rebuilding them, and fitted the KLR front master cylinder as well.
Its looking a bit more like an adventure bike now. Next need to strip and paint the frame, fit the KLR headlight and rear guard. Hardest part is going to be finding a tank and seat to fit that doesn't look like a dogs breakfast.

I'd appreciate any tips/suggestions the folk on here might have.
Attached Images
Old 08-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update on my TRX850 based adventure bike

Decided to remove, check and clean the carby's. PO had removed the hot water pipes from the carbys, and disconnected the drain hoses. After putting it all back together, and hitting the starter button......nothing. Short circuited the relay to the battery and turns over fine, just no joy from the button. Suspect its the starting circuit cut off relay, but as the PO has removed the clutch switch, sidestand switch and neutral cut out switch I'm buggered if I know where to start. Ended up running a new wire from the starter switch block to the relay. Voila, success. Have to run it through the ignition switch when I fit it but should work OK. Put battery on charge overnight as I flattened it testing the starting circuit. Hook it up this morning and not enough grunt to turn the motor over. Bugger it, off to the bike shop for a new battery and $70.00 later she's purring like a kitten. Dying to take it for a spin, but its bloody raining again.

Suppose I could go and fit the headlight, rear guard, taillight and indicators but its freezing in my garage and I'm nice and warm in front of the heater at the moment......theres always tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the TRX build has being making slow but steady progress. I got to the stage where I had to sort out the tank/seat dilemma before I could move on. So, chucked the bike on the trailer, and drove1.5 hours to Metropolitan Motorcycle Wreckers in Silverwater, Sydney. The guys there were really helpful. Let me try a number of tanks on for fit, starting with a yamaha FZ6, looked OK but tank was too long, then a TDM850, no good, then a TRX850 again too long. Now I know why the builder shortened the original tank. Then one of the guys suggested trying a tank off an XJ6 Yamaha. Bingo! Looks great, fitted pretty well, and schmick paintwork and a nice red that I'd be happy to leave as the colour. Result. 17 litre capacity isn't too bad either. Tank didn't include the filler cap but whern I got home discovered the original TRX cap will bolt right in. I'll have to make a plate to bolt over the hole in the bottom where the fuel pump lived, but that's not a big hassle.

Then to the seat. Tried a few different seats without success before trying the seat of the XJ6 were the tank came from.Looks pretty nice, if a bit thin, But most importantly, its a perfect fit up against the tank, and the length is good. If need be I can get the seat re-padded with more foam, or fit a sheepskin or an Airhawk for more comfort.

Well anyway I'm really happy with the result. Now to repaint the frame silver, the swingarm black, and the headlight surround to match the tank, and fit black guards and I'm nearly done!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,516
I've got a few miles on a TRX850...great motor...same as the TDM, I think but with a different crank and firing order.

That would be a beast off road! Well done!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Dolomoto, yeah the TRX/TDM motors are the same. The earlier TDMs, pre 96 I think, had a 360 degree crankshaft. When the TRXs came out in 96 they had a 270 degree crankshaft to give it that V twin sound. I think the TDMs went to the same crankshaft about then too.

Homerb screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 01:53 AM
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, picked up the frame today. Looks good. Have to finish painting a few engine bits and then to start reassembly.
Let the fun begin.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,087
Great looking project. does the exhaust pass through the tube on the frame?
Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah it does. Not really sure why it was designed that way.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #11
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Engines in and its all going together slowly. Like the red and black colour scheme.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Hello Homerb,
could it be, that there's the fork of a Suzuki DR 750/800 in it? Not too bad, but if I'm right, it might be tricky to beaf up the front-brake for an engine with a power-output like your's ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #13
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well spotted Bambi, the forks are actually out of a 1991-1993 DR650. I'm hoping to use a four pot Brembo caliper and a 300mm disc on the front end. Hopefully this will offer enough braking, or else I may have to go to a twin disc front end.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,959
Front brakes were the 1st thing I thought of too, I have to admit. Never had one personally, but have heard a lot of owners complaining about the brakes on that bike when standard, and your weapon is a fair bit heavier.

Perhaps the DL650/1000 stuff will bolt in? A lot of that stuff interchanges. Don't they have twin 280/300mm discs and good Nissin 4-pots?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
elephant man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
nice build!
why dont you try and fit a complete front end from a super tenere 750?
twin discs, 43 mm and it will accept an fzr1000 front wheel...
elephant man is offline   Reply With Quote