larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Absolutely love this build, nice job!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #47
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,415
Save your stock needles. I inherited the Factory Pro jet kit in my TDM. It always had a flat spot some where in the transition between low speed jetting and high speed. I tried all kinds of combinations and all it achieved was moving the flat spot up or down the rpm range.

Such a PIA to get to them, I gave up and put the stock needles back in and all was well. Not saying you can't make them work, just I could not. Maybe larger low speed jetting would solve it, but I did not try.

Those skinny needles also speed up the emulsion tube wear, lying at an angle like they do. I ovaled a stock tube in 5,000 miles. The factory pro tubes are much better.

I love your project, that is what I hoped Yamaha would bring out.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 05:06 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #48
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
TRX850 Adventure bike build

Thanks Itsatdm, I have heard that the factory pro needles can be hard to setup. The original needles appear to be in good condition, so if necessary I'll re-use them.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #49
chris a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Lovely bike ...always liked the TDM's ...your machine is a beaut.
chris a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #50
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
for that flat spot , readjust your float, then the needles if necessary.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #51
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Any updates? Cool looking bike. I would love to see it in action
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #52
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I've fitted the Factory Pro needles and jets and still I've got a flat spot around 3000rpm. Tomorrow I'm going to fit the original Yamaha needles to see if that helps. Apart from that, the bike is a hoot to ride. 76hp at the back wheel according to the dyno!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #53
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,694
Very cool! I always liked these bikes, but never thought of transforming one into an adventure style machine. Good work!

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #54
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I re-fitted the original Yamaha needles today, but it pouring down and I'm not too keen to go riding in the rain, so the test ride will have to wait.

It also seems likely that part or all of my problems stem from the fact that I don't have an airbox. Apparently CV carbys are best when sucking still air from an airbox and not so good through pod filters and the like. Hoping to get my hands on a cheap used airbox if the needle swap doesn't cure my ills.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #55
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I've had the opportunity to put some miles on the bike since refitting the original Yamaha needles.

Itsatdm, you were spot on! Much happier with the original needles. Flat spot almost gone and pulls a lot happier from low revs. Managed to pick up a used TRX air box from a fellow TRX forum member. I'll have to heavily modify it though as its to high to fit under the XJ6 tank without hitting it.

I reckon it'll run even better when I get the air box sorted and fitted.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #56
amateur_biker_chick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Best builds I've ever seen!! .. I'm definitely lovin the red color
amateur_biker_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #57
amateur_biker_chick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsmokey View Post
Any updates? Cool looking bike. I would love to see it in action
that was graphic .. and may I add chilling!!! cooooooooooooool
amateur_biker_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #58
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well after several months of pulling whats left of my hair out, I think I've finally sorted the carby problem that has plagued me.

After 20 seconds or so cruising at 50-70mph in top gear, (3000-4000rpm) the engine would stutter and surge. Pulling on the choke would fix it. I spoke to a heap of people on the net and at a few bike shops, and decided to adjust the float levels in the carbys. Stock says the top of the float body should be 14mm above the gasket surface. I lowered mine to 11mm, effectgively raising the fuel level in the float bowl by 3mm.

Problem gone. Just back from a ride which included burst up to 80mph on the freeway and not a hint of surging.

It appears the problem is that the engine is tilted at a different angle to the stock bike, and the float level needs adjusting to compensate for it. Obvious really when you think about it.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #59
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well after several months of pulling whats left of my hair out, I think I've finally sorted the carby problem that has plagued me.

After 20 seconds or so cruising at 50-70mph in top gear, (3000-4000rpm) the engine would stutter and surge. Pulling on the choke would fix it. I spoke to a heap of people on the net and at a few bike shops, and decided to adjust the float levels in the carbys. Stock says the top of the float body should be 14mm above the gasket surface. I lowered mine to 11mm, effectgively raising the fuel level in the float bowl by 3mm.

Problem gone. Just back from a ride which included burst up to 80mph on the freeway and not a hint of surging.

It appears the problem is that the engine is tilted at a different angle to the stock bike, and the float level needs adjusting to compensate for it. Obvious really when you think about it.
Brilliant, but so simple.

Love the build, one of the cleanest on the site. It'll look real good when you do the usd swap on the front end...

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #60
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It'll look real good when you do the usd swap on the front end...

Now thats something to think about isn't it, I wonder whats on ebay at the moment???