ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat
 
lexluther11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 1,079
Cost per day

I'm planning a trip this fall from Vancouver BC to Belize. Maybe farther south but not sure yet? I'll be riding the West Coast through Washington, Oregon, California and then Baja to La Paz. Ferry over to Mazatlan then down the coast to Belize. I'm hoping to go for 2 months. I'll be camping, cheap motels, the odd nice hotel and maybe riding 2 tanks of gas per day. For those who have travelled that way how much should I expect roughly to spend per day including food?

Thanks a lot..........
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,656
If you read ride reports, people can and are doing it for $50 or less a day.

I'm still hoping of heading south this winter too riding a XR650R. I also hope to do it as cheap as possible but I'm sinking money left right and center into the bike
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat
 
lexluther11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
If you read ride reports, people can and are doing it for $50 or less a day.

I'm still hoping of heading south this winter too riding a XR650R. I also hope to do it as cheap as possible but I'm sinking money left right and center into the bike

he he.......me too and I just ordered a 705cc piston kit, hot cams, oversizes valves and some other goodies for the bike. My budget is $75 per day so maybe if i can get it down to $50 the trip will last a lot longer. When you planning on leaving? You might have to leave a bit early before you get snowed in there in Alberta All I have to worry about is the rain puddles.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
wheatwhacker
It's raining here
 
wheatwhacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Cork, Ireland
Oddometer: 2,920
I'm headed to Panama this winter.
I was budgeting 10 cents a mile for gas and $30-40/day for sleeping and eating.

You can camp for free along the sea of cortez and I'm sure as you go south you will find more free camping.
Food is cheap and one meal a day is plenty along with fruit and water.
__________________
European bike sales and storage.
https://www.facebook.com/motofeirme
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Greeley, CO
Oddometer: 495
Don't know if it will help, but someone made this happy trip planner. In Excel (can be converted by other things, too-NeoOffice for Mac)
Trip Planner
__________________
Tracy E / Photos4Aidan.com / dacrazyrn.dpcprints.com / Can you SPOT me?
“When you do things RIGHT, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.” God in Godfellas-Futurama
Life is Risk Management
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat
 
lexluther11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
I'm headed to Panama this winter.
I was budgeting 10 cents a mile for gas and $30-40/day for sleeping and eating.

You can camp for free along the sea of cortez and I'm sure as you go south you will find more free camping.
Food is cheap and one meal a day is plenty along with fruit and water.
Thanks for the info and being able to camp a few nights for free will be a bonus. Cheap = longer adventure
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
he he.......me too and I just ordered a 705cc piston kit, hot cams, oversizes valves and some other goodies for the bike. .
Do you really want to go to 3rd world countries with unique parts in your engine??? IMHO Stock Honda is the way to go to avoid issues.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat
 
lexluther11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Do you really want to go to 3rd world countries with unique parts in your engine??? IMHO Stock Honda is the way to go to avoid issues.
That's what I have been debating.........should I do the upgrade before I go so I have the extra power for passing those b-trian trucks or do it when I get back after I have put on 15-20k? I ride a KLR650 and have never had a problem with it and it's always got me home.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
My ride four years ago through seven countries from Canada to Honduras cost me less than $25 per day, including everything.

Gas was more than a dollar per gallon cheaper at that time, and since fuel is my biggest on-road expense, that will have a big effect.

To wit, I did a three-week ride through the southwest US a couple months ago where gas averaged $3.84 and was 40% of my trip cost averaging 275 miles per day. For that trip, I spent $55 per day. With a little more care (I ate out and stayed in hotels more than I usually do) I could have probably cut $10 or $15 per day off that figure.

That said, I'm pretty frugal and experienced in budget travel. For some people my daily budget for everything is their food or lodging budget alone.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=90

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 1,289
Whoa whoa ... Lex , if you are on a KLR you will NEVER need 2 tanks of gas per day.... unless there is something wrong with the bike or you are spending waaaaay too much time riding hard and fast.
A KLR tankful is good for 500+km and you will have days where you buy nothing. Just for common sense you ought to top it up when in long unsettled areas but you will not be a habitue of Pemex stations.
Gas though is the biggest single expense . Staying in small nice hotels and eating sensibly will be affordable and you should be good if you budget around $65per day. This is more than th tghe 50 idealized but you have to allow for major one-time costs like the ferry , the insurance you need and any possible glitch.
If you are travelling with a friend $50 per person is easily done since the hotel cost will be halved , or thirded , or fourthed or... depending on how many of you share the room. I know this for a fact having done just that with a friend this past winter and post trip calculations show it was for me just under .... tadaaa ... $50 per person for the trip from Canada ,across the US and 11111km in Mexico then back to Canada .
So if I were to recalculate only for Mexico it would be less again.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat
 
lexluther11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Whoa whoa ... Lex , if you are on a KLR you will NEVER need 2 tanks of gas per day.... unless there is something wrong with the bike or you are spending waaaaay too much time riding hard and fast.
A KLR tankful is good for 500+km and you will have days where you buy nothing. Just for common sense you ought to top it up when in long unsettled areas but you will not be a habitue of Pemex stations.
Gas though is the biggest single expense . Staying in small nice hotels and eating sensibly will be affordable and you should be good if you budget around $65per day. This is more than th tghe 50 idealized but you have to allow for major one-time costs like the ferry , the insurance you need and any possible glitch.
If you are travelling with a friend $50 per person is easily done since the hotel cost will be halved , or thirded , or fourthed or... depending on how many of you share the room. I know this for a fact having done just that with a friend this past winter and post trip calculations show it was for me just under .... tadaaa ... $50 per person for the trip from Canada ,across the US and 11111km in Mexico then back to Canada .
So if I were to recalculate only for Mexico it would be less again.
I was thinking it would cost more but now that I have got some info from here things are looking up. I'm going solo and had planned a budget of $100 per day for 1 month, but now I think I can do $75 per day for 2 months plus 2 grand for extra costs like ferry, insurance, parts. I think I'll need one more fund of money put a side for beer

Thanks for the help.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
I was thinking it would cost more but now that I have got some info from here things are looking up. I'm going solo and had planned a budget of $100 per day for 1 month, but now I think I can do $75 per day for 2 months plus 2 grand for extra costs like ferry, insurance, parts. I think I'll need one more fund of money put a side for beer

Thanks for the help.
If you have 100 per day available, you're in like flint.
Where you stay during your downtime - the rent cost - is key. Where can also affects your food costs.
Your actual cost per mile on your bike, will be aruond $.20 or so. This includes chains, sprockets, tires, oil changes, fuel (at $4gal). Stick this into your budget planning, if you're going for a long trip.

You can get under the $50....if you plan ahead. Planning is key.
SB's estimate is a good one, and one given from his great experience.

You will have a much better expeience staying in hostels or cheap hotels, and being around the poeple, than you would by camping in the bush. The culture and the poeple are so much of your ride - not just the miles you've rode. OK, throw in some killer landscape, too. :)

Get some guide books and maps.
Tickle your dreams.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Daandus
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 48
cost per day, isn't that the most difficult subject? Even worse than tyres ;-)

My wife and I, two Africa Twins: (figures include health insurance, bike insurance, visa's, maintenance (tyres, chains oil etc.) exlcude: flight tickets, bike shipments overseas)

USA: 3 months, 13.000 km's, 9 nights motel and mainly cooking ourselves:
1750 euro/month = 2500 USD per month in total.
rougly 41 USD per person per day

MEX: 2 months, 5.000 km's, mostly hotels but also some free weeks @ voluntairy work. mainly eating on the street.
850 euro/month - 1200USD per month in total.
rougly 20 USD per person per day
Daandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daandus View Post
cost per day, isn't that the most difficult subject? Even worse than tyres ;-)....
It's on the extreme edge of subjective.
This type of thread comes up often.
Usually, the person posting has made few plans, and is just curious. Fine.
Much of this - OK, maybe 90% of this - is learned while traveling, and not only by motorbike. Experience.

The larger the budget, the less time spent researching.
The smaller the budget, the more planning and creativity involved.
This is natural.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
That's what I have been debating.........should I do the upgrade before I go so I have the extra power for passing those b-trian trucks or do it when I get back after I have put on 15-20k? I ride a KLR650 and have never had a problem with it and it's always got me home.
a quick downshift and i can pass anything in a flash. trucks move much slower and car are alot less powerfull SOB. keep it stock.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014