Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
WNDPWR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Laugh G650X-Moto conversion to Enduro/Dual-Sport

Hey Everybody,

I hardly ever post here but I am an AVID reader. I am outgrowing my supermoto addiction and now want to get back to my dirt riding roots by converting my BMW G650Xmoto into an enduro/dualsport bike. Here's a pic of my bike now...

I have the following questions for you guys since my dealer knows absolutely nothing the G650X bikes.

1. **Suspension set up.** I would like to keep the suspension components already on the bike but just tune them for offroad use. Is anyone familiar with the Xmoto who could offer some advice on doing so?

2. **Wheel Swap Out.** I want to go with a set of spoked offroad wheels. I think my front suspension will work fine for offroad use (with some reworked internals possibly) but I've heard that the caliper mounts and axle location are different for the XChallenge wheels. If I want to keep as much of my Xmoto front suspension as possible what are the parts I must replace in order to fit a set of XChallenge wheels? (Is there a way to remove the caliper/axle mount perhaps and swap it out?)

I also plan on getting a TrailTech HID headlight unit, an Acerbis front fender and OEM fork guards. With all of that (Wheels, and rotors included) I should be dirt ready for around 1500 -1700 bucks which sure beats buying and paying taxes on a used XChallenge.

If you have any input at all on this or a link to a relevant post I would appreciate it!!! Thank you! Stay tuned to this post and with any luck I'll post pics of the results...

---- Some more before pics from AR ----

WNDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
One thing you may look at is the front forks, Of course you'll be able to mount up a Challenge or Country front wheel. You may have to swap out your Moto caliper and or adapter to fit the Challenge's 280mm dia and possibly different offset. The internal valving is the same on the Moto and Challenge as evidenced by the same cartridge part numbers in the BMW fische. That's all minor stuff, the important thing is that The fork assemblies between the two have different part numbers. It's not just the silver vs gold color. The lower axle clamps are offset less (rearward) to provide more trail with the 17" Moto wheel. Using those forks with a 21" wheel may have excesive trail for your style of riding. May be better for Baja runs, but it may feel sluggish or heavier in the tight stuff compared to Challenge forks than you'd like. A set of Ebay Challenge forks or swapping over to some shivers or WP 4357 KTM's might be worth your consideration. Or... It might feel fine, But if you have to buy a new wheel, spacers, brake components anyway, now would be the time to slip in a set of vastly superior forks too. All the cool kids are doin it ;-) Are you gonna sell me your Moto wheels when you're done??
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
WNDPWR OP
Adventurer

But I like my rotors and calipers!

Thanks for the reply... is there no way I can swap to a different wheel and keep my rotors (and therefore calipers and ABS)?

I don't know the dimensions but both the XMoto and XChallenge have 6 bolt holes which connect the rotor to the wheel. How far off are they, if at all?

There is a LARGE amount of info on this site for swapping forks but those all assume one could just transplant their Xchallenge axle clamps and therefor keep all of the stuff that rotates.

Does anyone know of an offroad wheel (spoked, 21"...) with a hub that will accept the XMoto rotor?

And yes, I will probably hawk the Xmoto wheels once I find a suitable offroad replacement.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Watching with interest

I have thought about doing the same to my X Moto, but right now, finances and an ongoing relocation are kinda keeping the projects at bay.

What I did decide to do was go to a slightly more aggressive tire so I could catch more of the dirt where i am moving to.
Its always an option......

Nice bike by the way...... where are you from?
SoTxRattlesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

The Moto and Challenge rotors of course will not interchange on the BMW spooked and cast wheels. The quick and easy would be to get a used 21"Challenge wheel and hub assembly. The Country set up is the same except for 19" wheel and non-wave looking rotor. You'd be able to use all stock parts for the axel, spacers and ABS. I don't think there would be any reason you couldn't use the larger Moto caliper that you already have as long as you have spoke clearance from the fatter 4 pison non-floating caliper. And I'm not sure if the Moto caliper will bolt directly to the fork legs and line up with the 280mm rotors or not by just removing the stock Moto caliper adapter. If not, perhaps only an adapter plate would be all you need there. It's sure tougher finding a used BMW hub and wheel though.
If you went with KTM 4357 WP forks, Emig racing offers an axel, caliper and spacers to run a KTM front wheel and rotor with a Challenge caliper on the WP forks as part of their 4860 WP conversion kit. Perhaps you could just get the adapter parts with out the triple clamp. The 4357 forks will fit the stock tree's, so you wouldn't use/need the full kit unless you went to the 4860 forks. Tons of 21" KTM wheels on ebay. No ABS sensor on the KTM wheel though. Maybe I'll be able to save up enough $$ for those Moto wheels, just maybe...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

The Rotors on t the Xchallenge and Xcountry are 300mm not 280 like I said earlier. I was working on another brake project and forgot to get fully back to G650X mode. ooops..
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
WNDPWR OP
Adventurer

Frustrating...

Well, after spending hours reading other posts and websites I have found a whopping total of 1 example where someone did an Xmoto street to dirt conversion. Unfortunately that is just a short video with no information...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BHycPsuYo8

I really only want a set of knobbies and spoked wheels. Replacing the rotors, calipers, forks, and possibly even the triple clamps to do so just seems overkill when the bike already has a decent fully adjustable suspension set up. I also really like having ABS for any street riding.

@ SoTxRattlesnake: I'm from Springfield, MO but I did most of my riding on this bike in and around Houston where I worked for the last few years.

I'm relocating to Europe for the next few years and bike prices there are ridiculous. I would like to convert the Xmoto to a dual sport before I ship it over there (Shumacher Cargo quoted me 500 bucks for the shipping to the UK)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,818
Have you checked Woody's wheel works? He might be able to make custom hubs and lace up some tough rimsBolt up and go...that would sure be nice.

...or get 2 17" rear knobbies and a good skidplate and go.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike View Post
Have you checked Woody's wheel works? He might be able to make custom hubs and lace up some tough rims.
Having had Woody just lace up some SM rims for my XChallenge, and after searching far and wide for a cheaper solution, there's unfortunately no real options aside from the $300+ per hub BMW part. Unless you can find used parts, there's no real cheap way to get a different set of wheels on one of the G650X bikes. My wallet has yet to stop screaming.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
WNDPWR OP
Adventurer

Eek Woody's

@ Plumber Mike. Yea, I will probably give Woody's a call for the rear wheel.

I have thought about fitting a pair of 17" knobbies but the idea of thrashing backroads on a set cast Marchesini wheels just seems a little ridiculous.

I was reading a thread at supermotojunkie.com and some people seem to believe that the XChallenge hubs will fit the Xmoto front end...

Does anyone have a measure of the bolt pattern diameter on the XChallenge? If they in fact DO match then (1)XChallenge Wheel + a spacer or two and "BAM!" 21" knobbies.

I'm talking about this dimension...

Thank you!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDPWR View Post
@ Plumber Mike. Yea, I will probably give Woody's a call for the rear wheel.

I have thought about fitting a pair of 17" knobbies but the idea of thrashing backroads on a set cast Marchesini wheels just seems a little ridiculous.

I was reading a thread at supermotojunkie.com and some people seem to believe that the XChallenge hubs will fit the Xmoto front end...

Does anyone have a measure of the bolt pattern diameter on the XChallenge? If they in fact DO match then (1)XChallenge Wheel + a spacer or two and "BAM!" 21" knobbies.

I'm talking about this dimension...

Thank you!
I would drop the idea of X-Ch wheels, they are just expensive, hard to find used and not even strong.

Get a KTM wheel with a 300mm brake disc (or 320 if that's what you have on there now) and then two custom spacers. The disc will probably need some spacers to be used with that wide caliper as well. How far are your fork tubes spaced apart?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger

LukasM screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 10:41 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

The Xchallenge and the Xcountry use the same hub, just laced to 21" and 19" rims respectively. Both will bolt up to your Moto forks with factory axels and spacers from the Challenge or Country bike. The Axel, spacers, and brake rotor from the Moto will not swap over to the spoked wheel, not even close. and only a small chance of using your Moto caliper with a handmade adapter. Some of the aftermarket rotor suppliers list the rotor bolt pattern dimensions you're asking about, you can skim thru their catalogs for the numbers but they're not even a little bit close.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,818
Rough measurement on my 09 xcountry is 120mm the the bolt's centers.

....and LucasM is right about the stock xchallenge rims being soft, IMO.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
WNDPWR OP
Adventurer

Woody's

Excellent advice everybody...

I spoke with Woody's Wheels and it seems like they may be able to help. If I ship them my current Xmoto wheels with the brake rotor and calipers they will attempt to create a spoked front 21" and rear 18" wheel that will use all of my original hardware.

He said the challenge will be in figuring out if the larger XMoto calipers will clear the spokes. The only way to know is to try.

Thanks to you all I am beginning to see the light... that I DO NOT want to get XChallenge wheels for this thing. If I already had the axles, rotors, spacers, calipers, and axle clamps for the XChallenge then I might want to, but I don't so why not get a decent set of wheels.

I will be shipping the wheels to them this weekend. As promised I will update this thread with the progress. I plan on having a somewhat badass looking enduro by the time this is done. I anticipate using it as a backroads warrior rather than a single track woods bike so the increased trail of the Xmoto should help out.

Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDPWR View Post
Excellent advice everybody...

I spoke with Woody's Wheels and it seems like they may be able to help. If I ship them my current Xmoto wheels with the brake rotor and calipers they will attempt to create a spoked front 21" and rear 18" wheel that will use all of my original hardware.

He said the challenge will be in figuring out if the larger XMoto calipers will clear the spokes. The only way to know is to try.

Thanks to you all I am beginning to see the light... that I DO NOT want to get XChallenge wheels for this thing. If I already had the axles, rotors, spacers, calipers, and axle clamps for the XChallenge then I might want to, but I don't so why not get a decent set of wheels.

I will be shipping the wheels to them this weekend. As promised I will update this thread with the progress. I plan on having a somewhat badass looking enduro by the time this is done. I anticipate using it as a backroads warrior rather than a single track woods bike so the increased trail of the Xmoto should help out.

Thanks again.
Keep us posted, I wanna see how this comes out.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote