User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,297
Car Trade-In: Certified Dealer vs CarMax

Looking to make a car change and will be trading a 2011 BMW 128i. I've got some equity but don't have the cash to pay it off so selling to a private seller may be tough as I don't have the title in hand and buyers may be hesitate to spend or have difficulty getting financing for about $20k without title in hand.

I know it's always more economically feasible to sell than trade but does the trading dealership have much impact on how much you're offered. I'm looking at a car within a large multi-line import dealership operating on the same property but with different buildings for each line......so together but separate. I bought the BMW as a 1 year old CPO from this same import dealership where I will buying the new car, just the new one is a different brand than BMW.

Would the trade in value differ much at say a certified dealership where I purchased it vs. another dealership totally unrelated in terms of ownership and brand vs. something like CarMax that advertises they will buy your car regardless if you buy theirs.

Where would one get the best offer on a trade or does it even matter as they all use the same guide to determine value?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,080
When you trade in you have to focus on the whole deal. If they offered you more for your trade but didn't discount the new car as much would you still be happy?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 148
trade in for CPO

I just traded a 2012 VW Passat TDi with 55K miles for a 2012 E350 Bluetec with 11K miles. I did my homework before I even went to trade it in at the MB dealership. The CPO MB gave me an additional 3 years unlimited mile warrenty. The VW was about up at 60K miles.My VW was mint condition & KBB said it was worth $17.5K on a trade. The MB was worth $43K in mint condition. The MB dealer had it listed CPO for $39K on ebay motors.This MB had no option packages..I was buying it because of the low miles and being a diesel.

I had it figured out that I would pay $20K plus tax & tags. The dealer offered me $17.5K for the VW after I showed him the KBB value. The figure MB wanted was higher than $20K. I stated that the car had no option packages & you have had it on your lot for two months.

They took my offer for the VW and $20K after spending all day Saturday at the dealership. I hate buying cars..but also have owned alot of cars.Its a game that can work in your favour if you do your homework.Good luck with your purchase.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Where would one get the best offer on a trade or does it even matter as they all use the same guide to determine value?
From my experience (and based on your negotiation skill) you're going to always get the better trade-in value for your car from a dealership that wants it (and the reason they'd want it is that they sell very similar price-point pre-owned cars on their lot). Otherwise they're going to refer to their wholesalers and/or auction data for possible ideas on how much it's worth, and they they'll make you fight for it.

They're mostly all going to say they want your trade, but if you don't see similar makes, models and years on their pre-owned lot, then they're just becoming a middle-man to get your trade sold to someone else.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
From my experience (and based on your negotiation skill) you're going to always get the better trade-in value for your car from a dealership that wants it (and the reason they'd want it is that they sell very similar price-point pre-owned cars on their lot). Otherwise they're going to refer to their wholesalers and/or auction data for possible ideas on how much it's worth, and they they'll make you fight for it.

They're mostly all going to say they want your trade, but if you don't see similar makes, models and years on their pre-owned lot, then they're just becoming a middle-man to get your trade sold to someone else.
Thanks that makes perfect sense and the type of information I'm looking for.

I realize you gotta look at the whole deal but since I will be ordering the car with a 6-8 week build time I'm told there is less room to negotiate down from MSRP compared to a car sitting on the lot so I'm planning on using my trade as the bigger factor.

The trade in values from KBB and NADA range from a low of about $13.5 to a high of $18.5 for the year, mileage and options on the 128i. The car is in excellent shape, always garage keep both at home and work, less than 28500 miles without any blemishes to paint/body or interior. Only negatives are still on original tires but have at least 5k miles tread left and small nickel size spider web crack in windshield from a rock.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,935
Get the crack fixed before you take it in. If its that small, it should be repairable, but some states don't permit repairs if it's in the driver's side wiper area. If it's not repairable, expect the dealer to knock off whatever a factory BMW windshield costs, plus installation.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,245
If it's all the same ownership, the car will wind up back at the BMW dealer. You might even want to get them involved for maximum trade in value. Don't forget to factor in the amount of sales tax you'll save on the trade in money.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Get the crack fixed before you take it in. If its that small, it should be repairable, but some states don't permit repairs if it's in the driver's side wiper area. If it's not repairable, expect the dealer to knock off whatever a factory BMW windshield costs, plus installation.

Thanks I didn't think of them factoring in the cost of a OEM BMW shield so I scheduled SafeLite to come to my work tomorrow and fix it if they can.

Here in SC window glass repair/replacment is covered free of charge if you have full coverage insurance.

Meeting with the car dealer this evening after work to discuss options and I won't let him see the trade in car until the crack is fixed.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
I forget the details, but there is some wiggle room on the taxes as well. You pay the tax on the difference in value. So a trade in could save you tax money. But with as varied and screwed up as taxes are from place to place, research it before you believe it.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
If nothing else take the car to Carmax and have them give you their appraisal. It'll be less than you'd get selling it private party, but at least you'll have a cash offer in hand. I think their offers are good for a week iirc.
dasrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
I forget the details, but there is some wiggle room on the taxes as well. You pay the tax on the difference in value. So a trade in could save you tax money. But with as varied and screwed up as taxes are from place to place, research it before you believe it.
No tax issues with selling or trading a car here in SC. Buyer pays sales tax and annual property tax when they register. As a seller, if I buy a new car I can transfer the plates from the traded car to the new car and defer annual property taxes until the tax bill comes due....which in this case is end of April 2015. If I sell the car outright I have to turn the plates in an apply for a property tax refund then when I buy new I will have to pay property tax immediatley as well as sales tax. Fortunately in SC, sales tax on cars/bikes/boats is capped at $300 regardless of value of car etc. Property tax is however based on value.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: