User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #211
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,913
I'm running Liberty Rom now on my droid x, a hack of Gingerbread. . . . Seems like a great rom, not too flashy, not much lag, very stable for me.

Jazzman- how's that google voice working for you? I just got voice lite a few days ago. Works ok now, after a little futzing to actually get it to start functioning, but the transcriptions are just humorous, for the most part. And I often don't receive the transcripts for a little while after I get the message. I've been using the voice activated features more and more, especially the one that comes with the Swype keyboard- that software seems to work best for voice to text for me.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #212
jazzmans
Banned

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
The incredibly short battery life, and the hot as hell to hold features are nice.
ICS has destroyed two tablets, and my S2. The only recommendation is to do a hard reset and start over from scratch. If I'm going to start over from scratch, it isn't going to be on this platform.
I've read enough that I think I am ready to attempt to roll my phone back to gingerbread. Just need to get around to it.

Really? Wow, the absolute opposite for me, ICS is so good on battery life that I uninstalled juicedefender.

I'm not trolling, I wonder what the hell is wrong? are you running a stock rom?

did you root yet?

personally, on every android device I own, (4 at this point and counting) I've rooted and installed Cyanogenmod.

that totally sucks dude.

jaz
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #213
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
The incredibly short battery life, and the hot as hell to hold features are nice.
ICS has destroyed two tablets, and my S2. The only recommendation is to do a hard reset and start over from scratch. If I'm going to start over from scratch, it isn't going to be on this platform.
I've read enough that I think I am ready to attempt to roll my phone back to gingerbread. Just need to get around to it.
I had similar issues so I had to do a hard reset, from what I read you pretty much need to do it. But this isn't too big of a shock....if you have ever done a huge OS upgrade on a computer a lot of stuff doesn't carry over or is buggy so it's always better to do a clean one.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #214
jazzmans
Banned

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I had similar issues so I had to do a hard reset, from what I read you pretty much need to do it. But this isn't too big of a shock....if you have ever done a huge OS upgrade on a computer a lot of stuff doesn't carry over or is buggy so it's always better to do a clean one.

to add what I've learned.

make sure you wipe the cache, and do a factory reset (should be in the CWM menu) before installing a new version of OS. (make sure you back up all aps using something, I use titanium backup, before upgrading).

good luck!

jaz
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #215
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Now 24+ hours with ICS....damn this thing is smooth now. The 1 issue is that under network settings there is no longer a CDMA option, but there is an LTE on/off app which lets me control pretty much everything. And that's a lot since this is a GSM/LTE/CDMA phone.

Now the one thing that pisses me off is AFAIK this phone is locked so when I go to Israel I can't simply buy a sim card there. Can you get around this by rooting the phone?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 08-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #216
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,705
I fixed the one major complaint I have with the Galaxy S 3. The Samsung predictive spelling/text is absolutely unusable. I installed a third-party keyboard (Smartkey I think) and it is now perfect.

Every time I have to do something on my wife's iPhone I wonder how people tolerate them.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #217
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmans View Post
Really? Wow, the absolute opposite for me, ICS is so good on battery life that I uninstalled juicedefender.

I'm not trolling, I wonder what the hell is wrong? are you running a stock rom?

did you root yet?

personally, on every android device I own, (4 at this point and counting) I've rooted and installed Cyanogenmod.

that totally sucks dude.

jaz
All stock, no rooting/mods nothing. It just ran like crap.

I'm sure some of it would have been fixed by doing a hard reset and starting over from scratch. But, I didn't want to do that. The only major thing that ICS did that I had read there was no fix for was they killed foxfi. Yeah, I get the whole hacking a paid service part, but it is the only reason I went with this phone on sprint in the first place.
So, last night I finally broke down and did a full reset on the phone. Back to gingerbread and rooted. Now I'm going through the annoying process of reloading apps, and redoing all my bookmarks on dolphin.

Quote:

And this is why I'm still running windows XP service pack 1.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #218
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,520
Quote:
Now the one thing that pisses me off is AFAIK this phone is locked so when I go to Israel I can't simply buy a sim card there. Can you get around this by rooting the phone?
Rooting has no effect on carrier lock.

What service are you on? Tmobile will give you the unlock code for the asking if you're a customer in good standing, and att will if you're off contract. Not sure about Verizon world phones.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #219
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post

Every time I have to do something on my wife's iPhone I wonder how people tolerate them.

Same here, I got a 64 gig card for my Incredible 2 and have basically all my music on the phone now. When I go back to my Wife's ipod touch to listen to music or what ever it feels so effing cramped up. The lack of a menu or back button really bug me as well.

My phone actually syncs better with itunes that her ipod touch does. On my phone I can make changes to play lists, and the changes will be reflected in itunes. On her ipod if you make a change to a play list, itunes restores it back to original on the next sync.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #220
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
I'm running an unlocked and rooted Verizon Galaxy Nexus with the Vicious 4.1 Jelly Bean rom. I'm a long time Android user and this is by far the smoothest, fastest running Android device I've had. Google Project Butter and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Gripes? I have only 2 related to the phone:
1. Battery life using 4G is abysmal. I have the extended battery and I can burn through it in 2 hours of heavy use. If I turn of the 4G radio and operate in 3G mode I can get 8-10 hours of heavy use. In 3G mode with light use/mostly stand-by use it goes 24-36 hours easily. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Verizon's 4G service, but devices/battery tech needs to be refined for greater efficiency.

2. The camera. Granting that megapixels aren't the be-all and end-all spec when it comes to camera performance and that 5mp should get the job done just fine, the GNex camera is just lame. Horrible low light performance, and grainy, blurry photos in almost all light conditions just don't cut it anymore. The one saving grace for this camera is that there are some decent editing options baked into the OS that can pull a lot of pics out of the trash.

One other non-phone related issue is Verizon Wireless. With regards to updates, you can forget whatever announcements you hear from Google about updates. You want ICS on your device within a year of release? Forget it. Try 2 years or maybe never. Jelly Bean? Try back in 2014. I bought a Nexus device so that I would always have the most current Android release, but VZW hamstrings you on every one. Rooting is the only way around it, so that what I gladly did, and haven't looked back.
Burleson, Texas

pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #221
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Same here, I got a 64 gig card for my Incredible 2 and have basically all my music on the phone now. When I go back to my Wife's ipod touch to listen to music or what ever it feels so effing cramped up. The lack of a menu or back button really bug me as well.

My phone actually syncs better with itunes that her ipod touch does. On my phone I can make changes to play lists, and the changes will be reflected in itunes. On her ipod if you make a change to a play list, itunes restores it back to original on the next sync.
HOLD THE PHONE!!! Android phones sync with iTunes? How did I not know that?!? Or is this newer versions only? I swear I tried with my phone once, and it didn't work. I am running Android 2.3.3 with no hope of an upgrade from ATT or HTC (neither website has the phone clearly listed anymore )

RxZ (must attempt the sync tonight)
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #222
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

It looks like I just need to call verizon's "global service" number and they'll unlock it for me

Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #223
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
HOLD THE PHONE!!! Android phones sync with iTunes? How did I not know that?!? Or is this newer versions only? I swear I tried with my phone once, and it didn't work. I am running Android 2.3.3 with no hope of an upgrade from ATT or HTC (neither website has the phone clearly listed anymore )

RxZ (must attempt the sync tonight)
Got to buy some apps.

-Isyncr

-Isyncr wifi addon (I like this but you don't need it and you can schedule automatic daily syncs)

-Then your choice of media player. I use player pro, though isyncr also has their own media app, rocket player, that will work too. (player pro and rocket player sync ratings, play counts, play lists etc.)

I think other media apps work as well, but don't sync ratings back and forth to itunes. Only play lists, play counts, and skips. You can use isyncr widget to rate songs though, but I wanted to do it inside the media app.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 07:53 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #224
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,705
For some reason I had a problem with GoogleTalk letting me know when I had a new message. I could not get it to show on the status bar, blink the LED, anything. Had to install IMO, now I'm cooking with gas.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #225
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,430
Just upgraded my S2 to ICS, seems that battery life has really improved, and that it's processing efficiency is much better as well.

I'm a believer!

... Isn't jellybean due to be released soon though?
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: