Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #241
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
OK, a lot of you are talking about using cyanogenmod on your Android device. I have found their website and there is a stable release for my phone. Question is, can I do this? Is it a rather simple process to flash the "new" OS, or is there a high chance I will brick the phone in the process? I am wanting to open up the mobile hotspot function of the phone and I hear this is the way to go.

Just in case, should I download the latest official HTC release of Android 2.3.3 (what I have now) to reload onto the phone if needed, or is that even possible?

If you're just interested in tethering, there's an app called foxfi that's supposed to work on un-rooted phones.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #242
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
If you're just interested in tethering, there's an app called foxfi that's supposed to work on un-rooted phones.
Yeah, I'm getting a tablet that does not have a cell receiver/transmitter in it, so having the phone do the work is all I need. I refuse to pay AT&T twice for the same data block I am allotted is what it boils down to

I'll look into foxfi, thanks

Edit: Just looked into Foxfi, and it does not work on HTC phones. Bummer. So back to the question, how hard is cyanogenmod to run on an Android phone?

RxZ screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 03:09 PM
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #243
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Yeah, I'm getting a tablet that does not have a cell receiver/transmitter in it, so having the phone do the work is all I need. I refuse to pay AT&T twice for the same data block I am allotted is what it boils down to

I'll look into foxfi, thanks

Edit: Just looked into Foxfi, and it does not work on HTC phones. Bummer. So back to the question, how hard is cyanogenmod to run on an Android phone?
Easy on most phones. Still overkill if all you want is to tether. Without root, try clockworkmod tether or pdanet, or just root the thing and use WiFi tether.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #244
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,970
Android Problem

I have an EVO 4G and earlier tonight it wouldn't refresh a page on the internet browser.
Went back to the home screen and it showed no internet connection but 4 bars of service.

Restarted the phone, as it does this every once in a while and a restart fixes it.

Phone has been restarting since, it pulls up the Sprint screen, then the 4G, then the screen goes white and it does it again. Repeats until you pull the battery.

Going back out of town tomorrow, so if I don't get it sorted out I guess I'll have to go get a new phone in the morning.

Not due for one until March, so I guess I'm going to get screwed.

I read where I can "wipe" the phone, but I'm not sure if I will loose my contacts that way.

I went into the start menu (put battery back, hold down volume button, hit power) and tried to recover it.

Phone froze for a few minutes, with a red triangle/exclamation point on the screen.
Didn't look to be doing anything else, so I pulled the battery again.

Don't want an iPhone, but with the trouble I've had with this one over the last 18 months I'm not sure I want another Android phone
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #245
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I have an EVO 4G and earlier tonight it wouldn't refresh a page on the internet browser.
Went back to the home screen and it showed no internet connection but 4 bars of service.

Restarted the phone, as it does this every once in a while and a restart fixes it.

Phone has been restarting since, it pulls up the Sprint screen, then the 4G, then the screen goes white and it does it again. Repeats until you pull the battery.

Going back out of town tomorrow, so if I don't get it sorted out I guess I'll have to go get a new phone in the morning.

I read where I can "wipe" the phone, but I'm not sure if I will loose my contacts that way.

I went into the start menu (put battery back, hold down volume button, hit power) and tried to recover it.

Phone froze for a few minutes, with a red triangle/exclamation point on the screen.

Don't want an iPhone, but with the trouble I've had with this one over the last 18 months I'm not sure I want another Android phone
Transfer all your photos/videos/music to a computer (assuming you have some you want to save), back up your contacts, then do a factory reset. Should clear up your problem.
Burleson, Texas

pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #246
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,970
Had to clear the storage, lost all my contacts.
Phone wouldn't work long enough to back everything up, and it never would sync to gmail.

Since an update a few months ago I couldn't even access my gmail from the phone.

The phone would just restart constantly until the battery was pulled.

HTC is a POS as far as I'm concerned.

I've had numerous issues with it, but none of them bad enough to get it replaced.

Doubt that I will get another Android when my contract is up, sucks because I like the OS but not the package it comes in.

Thanks tho
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #247
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,018
Quote:
Had to clear the storage, lost all my contacts.
Phone wouldn't work long enough to back everything up, and it never would sync to gmail.

Since an update a few months ago I couldn't even access my gmail from the phone.

The phone would just restart constantly until the battery was pulled.

HTC is a POS as far as I'm concerned.

I've had numerous issues with it, but none of them bad enough to get it replaced.

Doubt that I will get another Android when my contract is up, sucks because I like the OS but not the package it comes in.

Thanks tho
Why not just buy a Motorola? Especially now that they are owned by Google you can expect them to kick some major ass.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #248
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,062
cyanogenmod is easy to flash, just read and re-read the instructions and ensure you understand them. Best to install stable if this is the first time for you.

back up your shit. (but of course you do this anyway, right?)

I tried to install jb on my transformer yesterday, it didn't work out well, (most google apps don't run right) so I wiped and re-installed stable, ICS.

I wouldn't consider an android phone if it couldn't run cyanogenmod any longer.

jaz

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #249
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:

if you have your contacts synched to google, you will not lose them, just make sure you do.

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #250
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmans View Post
if you have your contacts synched to google, you will not lose them, just make sure you do.
Ditto.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #251
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Never had an HTC product, but my son has one and honestly it's a pos. I can't say enough good things about Motorola and Samsung, though. Hate to see someone leave the OS behind because of crappy hardware.
Burleson, Texas

Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #252
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman1 View Post
Never had an HTC product, but my son has one and honestly it's a pos. I can't say enough good things about Motorola and Samsung, though. Hate to see someone leave the OS behind because of crappy hardware.
And of course, everyone had a different opinion - I like HTC a lot more than Samsung. :-)
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #253
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
And of course, everyone had a different opinion - I like HTC a lot more than Samsung. :-)
Of course!
Burleson, Texas

Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #254
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,860
I've been pretty happy with my Motorola DX2. Not stellar, but it performs well enough.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #255
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
Wicked

I have been using a Rezound from HTC for about 6 months and I gotta say it's fairly awesome. I wanted a phone with both a removable battery and memory card. None of the other vzw phones running android offered that.

I did get the $25 extended battery and I gotta say this 4g phone can go a day and a half with no drama, and that's using it for streaming music, maps and home control.

All that aside, I can't wait for blackberry 10. I don't like android and the privacey you give up, and I miss getting emails as soon as the sender sends them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: