Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #346
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Just as thin as... as what? SD cards take up valuable space, and with a consumer market so overly concerned with having a giant screen in a "tiny" phone, an SD sized portion of a phone is a BIG deal.

My RazrM is wafer thin, pocket sized, blazing fast, has a stripped down OS (at least compared to Samsumg) yet it still manages to have a micro SD card slot. So I don't see where phone size has much to do with whether the manufacturer includes one.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #347
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Just as thin as... as what? SD cards take up valuable space, and with a consumer market so overly concerned with having a giant screen in a "tiny" phone, an SD sized portion of a phone is a BIG deal.
Just as thin as the one s. Razr is about half mm thinner, galaxy s3 about half mm thicker, both support removable storage (and all thinner than the nexus 4).... The sd is micro sd, not full sized sd. Super tiny.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #348
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
Just as thin as the one s. Razr is about half mm thinner, galaxy s3 about half mm thicker, both support removable storage (and all thinner than the nexus 4).... The sd is micro sd, not full sized sd. Super tiny.
Well I don't remember phones ever being offered with SD, Micro SD is a given

I presented the thickness only as an idea. There are a million other things that necessitate a "larger" phone... battery size, RAM, charging/headphone ports, screen type, durability etc. All I said was that by not accepting removable memory, phones CAN be made smaller/thinner. That's not speculation, that's just a simple fact. More shit inside a phone makes it bigger, period. I'm not saying that's WHY they didn't include an SD slot, just that it's a possibility that makes sense with what the current market is looking for.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #349
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

yeah, but phones aren't packed so tight (yet) that a micro sd card is a size driver, as witnessed by the comparisons above. Or better yet, look at the HTC one x, vs the evo lte (sprints version of the one x), which has a sd card slot, but is the same size...

It is primarily a 'experience' decision at this point, and probably cost too...
Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #350
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
If there was a micro sd card, I'd probably have one now. I'm not into streaming my music from the Web. I have over 60 gigs of music that I'm constantly adding to and editing out. I do this by star ratings, play count, skip counts and play lists in iTunes. From what I've seen there's no comparable way to curate a collection like that with any of the streaming content. Plus when I'm out in the country with little to no Web Access I don't want to lose my collection.

I feel like Google is being appleish by refusing to include an sd card slot because they think people should use streaming services.
I take my laptop just about everywhere I go and the albums currently in favour (and the permanent residents) are always on the phone. Since my phone is absolutely wherever I go, I have my music. Since my laptop is never far, I have all my music nearby.

The laptop doubles as an inefficient battery charger for the phone, and the phone is a wifi hotspot to use the laptop. The laptop gets plugged in the second i'm near a power source.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #351
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
As far as the Nexus 4 is concerned, I think they are trying to meet a price point by leaving out the micro SD slot. Also, the phone does not have 4G LTE. Those things cost money to develop and put in a phone. The Nexus 4 is only 300 dollars with no subsidies from the cell companies. An iPhone or Galaxy are 6-700 dollars.

That said, I really enjoy my Nexus 7, and unless something changes in the market a Nexus 4 will likely be my next phone.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #352
keyzard
Falls over a lot....

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
As far as the Nexus 4 is concerned, I think they are trying to meet a price point by leaving out the micro SD slot. Also, the phone does not have 4G LTE. Those things cost money to develop and put in a phone. The Nexus 4 is only 300 dollars with no subsidies from the cell companies. An iPhone or Galaxy are 6-700 dollars.

That said, I really enjoy my Nexus 7, and unless something changes in the market a Nexus 4 will likely be my next phone.
The Nexus 7 is also what led me to my Nexus 4.....I bought 3 of them for my kids at Christmas....

The Nexus 4 had more features/power per dollar than any other Android out there, and absolutly no carrier bloat. I got the 16GB model shipped to my door by 2 day air for just under $400......and I own it outright. I took that phone and went to Wally World and signed up for their "unlimited" plan for $40 a month....I'm watching my data usage to see how this pans out. If I don't like it, I can take my busness to AT&T, Sprint, etc without any penalties (no contract). I came from the "always top of the line phone at Verizon with the 2 year contract" and about $140 a month for essentially the same service. If I had upgraded my phone last month like they wanted me to I would have lost my "grandfathered" truely unlimited data plan.......Verizon has great covereage, but they are also doing a great job of pushing their customers away.

The lack of an SD card is a non-issue for me. I just move stuff on and off the phone as I need it. It's so seamless now I just treat it as any other network device at home.

And I will admit I've completely bought into the Google model......my personal domain is also a Google Apps domain, so my wife and 3 kids share our calendars with each other. It makes scheduling so much easier (we are a melded family, so the logistics are a bit crazy).....as well as Google docs for shopping lists, etc.

2011 Suzuki DRZ400S (My new favorite)
2006 Suzuki DL650 (My wife's, but I "borrow" it a lot!!)
keyzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #353
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
I take my laptop just about everywhere I go and the albums currently in favour (and the permanent residents) are always on the phone. Since my phone is absolutely wherever I go, I have my music. Since my laptop is never far, I have all my music nearby.

The laptop doubles as an inefficient battery charger for the phone, and the phone is a wifi hotspot to use the laptop. The laptop gets plugged in the second i'm near a power source.
I don't have a laptop, but I do have a 64 gig micro sd card in my current phone. I carry about 40 gigs of music, maybe 10 gigs of podcasts and 5 gigs of apps and such. I spend a lot of time at work listening to music, and from day to day have no idea what I may want to listen to on the next. Often I'll start off on random play all, then when something hits my interest I'll que up that artist. Or I'll listen to music I've rated 5 stars, or 3 stars or music I have never listened to, or that was recently added, or music that only has 1 play count, or 4 or more skips etc. It's awesome that my phone can create "smart" play lists on the fly so I can constantly tweak and edit. And when I get home, anything that I've rated 1 star is automatically removed from the phone and replaced with something else.

Part of the reason I'm wedded to itunes is that before my android phone I had a 64 gig ipod touch. I've got about 2 years worth of song ratings, play counts etc sync'd to itunes and I don't want to give up all that work. (my phone blows away the ipod touch as an mp3 player) Now if I could get a 128 gig micro sd card, and do all the work on the phone I might be able to ween myself from itunes, but it is still nice to be able to sit down and review ratings, artists, albums and such on my PC.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 07:47 AM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #354
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Gah. I already linked to an explanation from google about why the nexus 4 doesn't have memory card slot- it keeps the experience simpler. And it does actually have support for band 4 LTE - unofficial support was removed in the recent 4.2.2 update, but is rumored to be included for when tmobile turns lte on. Finally, you're not bringing it to sprint - tmobile and att are the options.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #355
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,703
Anybody have the Sony Xperia TL?

My blackberry is almost dead, and the new ones aren't in yet (and look to be effing huge).

It is down to that or one of the smaller galaxy models.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #356
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
you're not bringing it to sprint - tmobile and att are the options.

Figures
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #357
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Figures
the networks themselves are incompatible. sprint and verizon are cdma, tmobile and att are gsm. the nexus 4 is a gsm phone.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #358
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,044
I've had Sprint phones for years, and really don't have any complaints with them.
I use a lot of data, and so does my son. We have an unlimited plan and I make the best of it
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #359
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I don't have a laptop, but I do have a 64 gig micro sd card in my current phone. I carry about 40 gigs of music, maybe 10 gigs of podcasts and 5 gigs of apps and such. I spend a lot of time at work listening to music, and from day to day have no idea what I may want to listen to on the next. Often I'll start off on random play all, then when something hits my interest I'll que up that artist. Or I'll listen to music I've rated 5 stars, or 3 stars or music I have never listened to, or that was recently added, or music that only has 1 play count, or 4 or more skips etc. It's awesome that my phone can create "smart" play lists on the fly so I can constantly tweak and edit. And when I get home, anything that I've rated 1 star is automatically removed from the phone and replaced with something else.

Part of the reason I'm wedded to itunes is that before my android phone I had a 64 gig ipod touch. I've got about 2 years worth of song ratings, play counts etc sync'd to itunes and I don't want to give up all that work. (my phone blows away the ipod touch as an mp3 player) Now if I could get a 128 gig micro sd card, and do all the work on the phone I might be able to ween myself from itunes, but it is still nice to be able to sit down and review ratings, artists, albums and such on my PC.
I don't disagree that the music app (Google Play) is limited in comparison to iTunes, and it really is Googles one shortcoming on this phone.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #360
jazzmans
Banned

Oddometer: 7,116
I love google music.

Love my Galaxy s 3.

the only reason I don't have a Nexus, is the SD card slot. (and a removable battery.)
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: