Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Ultralight!

So I've always been into aviation. Been working on and off for about a year to get my Private Pilot's certification but had to stop at the beginning of the year. Decided I wanted to pick up an Ultralight so I could fly on my own when I wanted and for the most part where I wanted with some restrictions. Not to mention it lets you fly without the constant oversight and permission of "Big Brother".

Anyone here fly ultralights?

Picked up the Hy-Tec Hurricane over the weekend. Here's some vids and pics.

Video compilation of the first day I had it doing familiarization flights on a dry lake bed (El Mirage Dry Lake).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTvoycq-dI

After first few landings

About 1500 feet AGL looking down on the landing area. You can barely make out the truck and another ultralight on the lake bed.

On the truck ready to come back to San Diego

After getting the wings back on and putting it in it's new hangar

The day after getting the wings on a buddy of mine and I went up and he got some arieal video of me. It was a flight with a member of the SDUA to get familiar with the area around the field. Saw a few dual sports on some dirt roads around otay lakes road.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

Then a little video from last night doing a late evening sunset flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQGGiSygPgs
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Very cool, I'm jealous. No Ultralight for me but I'm taking a PPG course here in a few weeks.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,156
Very nice! I stopped flying about 6 months after my first child was born (1981) due to conflicts of income vs outlay.
I have missed flying terribly, and have had fantasies of buying / building an UL. The videos you have made have got me to thinking again lol. Thanks man.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,398
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
You do know you can monitize that in a way right? Round here, if one has an ultralight, and a couple good cameras or doesn't mind the film industry putting cameras on them, they can make some serious dough. Up to 1500 a day flying round and shooting video...and NO you can't use POS consumer cameras.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Sounds illegal in the states. I can't legally fly for hire unless I have a commercial certificate.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Sounds illegal in the states. I can't legally fly for hire unless I have a commercial certificate.

Sent from my iPhone
What kind of commercial certificate?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

The only kind.

Pilot certificates go

Private (no monetary gain)
Commercial ( can fly for money)
Airline Transport Pilot

Then you can get different ratings such as
Insturment
Multi engine land
Multi engine sea
Single engine sea

Stuff like that.

As a private pilot or not a pilot (ultralights) then you can't get monetary compensation for your flying.

If you haul a passenger you can split the cost evenly but you can't legally haul a passenger in a Part 103 ultralight. Once you add a second seat it becomes an Experimental Light Sport.

Now I may be missing something in the FARs since its all legalieze anyway and since flying an ultralight doesn't require any kind of certificate you may be able to avoid that stuff. I'd have to check the part 103. But usually web you fly and make money from it, you operate under a different part of the FARs that require you have a commercial certificate.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
ADKbeemer
Understanding Serendipity

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
The only kind.

Pilot certificates go

Private (no monetary gain)
Commercial ( can fly for money)
Airline Transport Pilot

Then you can get different ratings such as
Insturment
Multi engine land
Multi engine sea
Single engine sea

Stuff like that.

As a private pilot or not a pilot (ultralights) then you can't get monetary compensation for your flying.

If you haul a passenger you can split the cost evenly but you can't legally haul a passenger in a Part 103 ultralight. Once you add a second seat it becomes an Experimental Light Sport.

Now I may be missing something in the FARs since its all legalieze anyway and since flying an ultralight doesn't require any kind of certificate you may be able to avoid that stuff. I'd have to check the part 103. But usually web you fly and make money from it, you operate under a different part of the FARs that require you have a commercial certificate.

Sent from my iPhone
Hmmm.... I always thought that so long as you as PIC took the pictures you could be compensated...
ADKbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Seems like a big grey area or a robust screwing by the FAA to me for making someone get an additional ticket to have a camera on their Ultralight. I know for a fact here no one who uses their Ultralight as a camera platform has any special licensing.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
Dad had a Lazair. Sold it to a guy next town over. He was procrastinating cashing the guys check for a week or so. Drove to the city and saw it wadded up in a field by the highway. Turned around, ran back and got to the bank as fast as he could. Waited until the funds cleared before he cried. The guy didn't have a license or any experience and no insurance. Ministry of Transport had a great time with him.
Up here there is a thriving market for camera mounted RC's to fly over farm crops. Not too many ultralights around. The last one I saw flying a lot was an unmarked Chinook who enjoyed buzzing cars on the highway. Pretty ballsy for a guy near a fighter base (Cold Lake Ab.) Haven't seen him around for a long time so they either found him or he has the bird locked up in the back barn.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wos View Post
Dad had a Lazair. Sold it to a guy next town over. He was procrastinating cashing the guys check for a week or so. Drove to the city and saw it wadded up in a field by the highway. Turned around, ran back and got to the bank as fast as he could. Waited until the funds cleared before he cried. The guy didn't have a license or any experience and no insurance. Ministry of Transport had a great time with him.
Up here there is a thriving market for camera mounted RC's to fly over farm crops. Not too many ultralights around. The last one I saw flying a lot was an unmarked Chinook who enjoyed buzzing cars on the highway. Pretty ballsy for a guy near a fighter base (Cold Lake Ab.) Haven't seen him around for a long time so they either found him or he has the bird locked up in the back barn.
This seems to be the biggest cause of Ultralight crashes. In the US zero training is required period. But I strongly suggest to people getting some kind of training before hand. I had 20 hours of Private Pilot before getting in this and untold hours on a Flight Simulator practicing landings and radio navigation.

Granted flying Ultralights is quite different than GA aircraft as far as mass and drag go but similar enough that you can figure it out.

Flying isn't hard. It's the landing part that gets most people haha.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Your right about the law.If you took some pictures or video and then sold them you would be ok.But taking someone else's camera up for hire is illegal.In the US you can not make money with an ultralight or Light Sport.A true ultralight is no more than 254#,no more than 5 gallons,no more than 63MPH straight and level and no more than one person.Even though its legal to fly an ultralight without training,its really dumb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSJJmtSoPlk
Been flying thirty years and thousands of hours.Most of it in trikes but I started in C150s.
The Hurricane has a good record.Never heard anything bad about them.Looks like your running a 503 B box with DCDI.
aboveangkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
My wife and I both flew...medical reasons made me sell our plane years ago.

One of the guys here has a powered parachute...two place. He took us for a ride and it was great fun. While at their little airport I saw a itty bitty taylorcraft....got me thinking....I wonder if that is a real plane or not.

I also miss flying...it was great fun.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
If you were never denied a medical you can get a Sport Pilot license if you have a drivers license.
Most people are better off going up with an instructor.A lot less headache.And you can still log the time.Try new types and see new places.Did it for years.Always learned something new.
aboveangkor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: