Aim towards Mammoth

Then get lost

M
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #167
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,474
#1 I am jealous of your rig

#2 I am GREEN WITH ENVY that you have a partner that finds escaping down a dirt road with a couple of bikes (or not) fun.

Lucky.
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #168
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,650
I am going to start playing state lottery; hopefully one day...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #169
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,584
...to finish the weekend's camping report:

We headed south from our Gore Pass campsite watching the white water rafters having a hoot in the canyon.
We stopped at a farmer's market in Vail and bought some home made salsa
We then headed through Minturn and up toward the Holy Cross Wilderness.

We took a little detour into Red Cliff just because I've always wanted to "go under" the Tennessee Pass bridge. So we did

Red Cliff is a neat little town. Long winters up there for sure...

The bridge

We headed up road 703 (chosen at random) into the Holy Cross wilderness in search of a campsite. The area was pretty busy but we actually lucked into a really nice spot in the Gold Creek campground so we ended up with a picnic table & pit toilets within a short walk. I'd guess we were around 9500-10,000 feet.

We arrived early and set about doing exactly what we wanted to do: relaxing.
I read 200 pages of some random novel and enjoyed every second of it. I can't remember the last time I had enough time to unplug, slow down and just read a book.

Perfect.

We had a typical Colorado afternoon thunderstorm while Cheryl was making dinner so our Noah Tarp paid for itself and worked perfectly.

The next morning we went up to the end of the road to see the reservoir that is up there... all we really got to see was the biggest damn I'd seen in a while. It was so high we couldn't see the reservoir beyond.

We meandered home from there.. well rested and more happy with the sprinter than ever.

The list of "things to do" got a few pages longer as we figure more out about our desired final setup.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #170
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
#2 I am GREEN WITH ENVY that you have a partner that finds escaping down a dirt road with a couple of bikes (or not) fun.
Lucky.
I definitely know how lucky I am... I haven't figured out why she puts up with me.. but as long as she does all is good with the world

Over labor day we're going to spend 4 days riding the San Juans together (again). She has an F650GS and I'll be on my 950.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #171
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Using Mr. J's sunroof philosophy I should give up motorcycles

I've owned a dozen vehicles with sun roofs. I've never had a single one leak if adjusted properly.
I'll be installing this one and I will install it properly.

I have the maxxair 7500K ordered but haven't found just the right sun roof yet. I found one that matches the sprinters curve perfectly and is the right size, but when retracted it only retracts across 2/3 and still leaves 1/3 covered

Still searching.

I appreciate the warning Mr J. but the skylight will be installed correctly and I'm not worried about it whatsoever. The skylight will be right over our heads so when we are camping at 11,000 feet or in the Utah desert we can enjoy the 24350823x10e23 stars. This enjoyment means more to us than the 1 in 10000 chance the sunroof *might* leak. Just like my motorcycle enjoyment means more to me than the fact that I can get hurt on them.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #172
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Nothing much got done to the van this week.

It is too darn hot to work on it currently (we broke a record yesterday.. 99 degrees up here at 5500 feet ) .
That and we are booked with motorcycle events for the next few weekends; so my current van time consists of:

1) commuting 130 mile/day on average depending on client's needs (the van is already over 6,500 miles ).

The stereo really makes these long commutes bearable. I pulled up beside another sprinter today while rocking out on Radiohead and the other sprinter's driver did a double take when he realized the sub-woofer he heard booming was from my sprinter (yup.. I was being an arse.. TGIF).

2) enjoying lunch on the top of a mountain (where I take 20 minutes, kick off my shoes and climb back in the queen size bed with the side door open, and play a game of Chess on my iphone. Life is good ).

Wednesday's Lunch:
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #173
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
I'm using a marine grade deck hatch.

with the hinge placed forward it can also be left cracked open to vent while driving.

Nice!

Now that you mention it.. I could use a deck hatch somewhere in the roof... when I get the solar panel installed it would give me a way to get up to it and clean/maintain it

The only roof mod I've ordered so far is the maxxair 7500K I mentioned. I've read good reviews about it; I hope it lives up to them. It can be left open when driving and in the rain. It has 10 speeds, can blow air in or out and can act as a ceiling fan when fully closed. After I install it I'll have to load a dirtbike in the back and go for a drive and see how well it keeps the gas fumes out. The gas fumes during the drive home from Vegas with my 950 in the back were BRUTAL.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #174
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,452
How are you liking the app radio so far?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #175
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
How are you liking the app radio so far?
The app radio was too slow.. I didn't buy it.

I bought the AVIC Z130BT (i.e. their top head unit)

Ironically.. the app radio has certain ergonomic bugs.. like if you want to scroll through your iphone songs you have to use cursor keys

At least with the AVIC you can "swoosh" your finger to scroll through the songs like you do with your iphone. Why they missed this feature in the appradio is beyond me

The AVIC kicks the appradio's arse (but it should for 4X the price ).

That said, this head unit (and ALL head units in every top brand) are still pieces of sh*t. Don't get me started on all the ergonomic design flaws in this "top of the line" POS. If the idiots running Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood would spend $100K on an ergonomic engineer per year (I'd gladly take the job and knock it out of the park) they could have a grand slam .. but instead they all keep making the same mistakes.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #176
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
After I install it I'll have to load a dirtbike in the back and go for a drive and see how well it keeps the gas fumes out. The gas fumes during the drive home from Vegas with my 950 in the back were BRUTAL.
Is there a CA version of the bike that has an EECS? That would help your fume problem, perhaps at the cost of a pound of weight and a little less fuel capacity. I know I wish I had the CA version of my C10 Concours. When I walk up to it on a hot day I have to fight my way through the gas fumes.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #177
Geek OP
oot & aboot

My 950 has Safari tanks that hold over 10 gallons of fuel. I don't know if there is any hope of stopping the plastic from breathing

The maxxair will take care of it

Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #178
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
My 950 has Safari tanks that hold over 10 gallons of fuel. I don't know if there is any hope of stopping the plastic from breathing

The maxxair will take care of it

Prolly not.

The only solution is to sell it.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #179
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,250
How's all that sound deadening working out for you?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #180
Geek OP
oot & aboot

So far I've done maybe 15% of the van.. and its made quite a difference.

Just gotta get time to put the rest in...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: