User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #1816
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,162
So I got 30 minutes to play with my legos before the sun went down.

Wheel chock in the front. Is there a good way to do it that'll be strong, look good, and be easily removable??

I couldn't remember exactly where the re-enforced factory tie down mounting points were in the floor so I started digging through photos I took during construction when I came across this one:

I'll be darned if those cut outs don't look about exactly the right location
...compared to where the bike sat last weekend when I hauled it:

So I started popping up the wood floor and sure enough.. there's one...

Ball parked the location and drilled a hole. Heck.. if I get it wrong I just get to remake that one board so why not

Held my breath and inserted an M8 bolt... perfect!

So then I started to let my Legomagination take over
Playing with options

a proper 8020 fastening:

etc...

Knowing that all I need to find is a nice low-profile screw (I could countersink the hole or even use a small plastic plug) to fill the hole when not using the tie down point

So now on to the important stuff... how to take advantage of that factory tie down point (and its matching counterpart on the driver's side which I haven't dug into yet (but I will)...

The goal is to restrain the bike as well as possible (for a roll over accident) and also make it easily removeable for the majority of the time we're not hauling the bike...

How about an 8020 rail from bolt to bolt across the van....

Combined with some sort of bolting to the wheel chock and maybe even a larger base area to make it super strong & stable...

...and heck I could even build in tie down points to the ends of the rail to make it a 2-bolt-removeable-all-in-one-mounting-system!

Roll the bike up, click it in the chock, strap it to the rail.
Walk back to the back and strap the rear tire to the mounts back there. You could now potentially pull a "hellisickle" (or was it a prarie rider?) and the bike will stay in place even with the vehicle on its side.

...to be continued.

Geek screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 06:36 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #1817
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,180
nice! Looking good Ed
Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #1818
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Oh, I like where this is going.....you better keep a good parts list for me, I'm outfitting an enclosed trailer soon, and I want an easily removable bike shoe configuration for several bikes! This is headed is a great direction......and I just got my 8020 catalog!!!!!!
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #1819
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
You should be a 80 20 factory sponsored rider, van driver, seriously

I think your "push the bike in the back and have it click into place idea" needs to be fleshed out. Looks like the mounting points you have shown with that chock setup are too far apart to hold everything in place in a crash.

It looks like you could make a strut attached from each side of the van walls, at about numberplate height that could engage on the handlebars/forks/triple clamp. Lock the bike in all 3 planes.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #1820
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Nice finish with the wood! somehow i do like your overall setup!
But i hope your bike's are nog as dirty as mine ;-)

Do you have air compressor / tool station / some bottles water to wash hands / and a paper roll?

Quote:
Inside the new Ducato there is room enough to for mechanics to work flexibly. The back of the van has a volume space of 13m3, a length of more then 3.7m, and the internal height is 1930mm.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #1821
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Used the van again for the track today. The more I'm using it for this the more I'm enjoying it.

I don't think I'm in love with the Noah tarp. Maybe I just need to get more creative in how I use it? But it always seems like a hassle to put up (lots of knots to untangle in the lines & such) and it HATES wind and has to be taken down the minute winds pick up

I'd really like to find a solution that works as well as an awning and is as easy as an awning... but without sticking an ugly awning on the outside of the van

Note to self: close the back doors on the van when the wind pics up at the track. It is going to take me a month to get all the sand out of the van

Old 03-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #1822
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,164
Looks like fun!

M
Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #1823
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Almost 80 degrees here today Gummee (March is Colorado's snowiest month?)...

We had a total of 25 inmates drop by today for some fun playing around on the tracks.

It was a very fun day
Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #1824
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I don't think I'm in love with the Noah tarp. Maybe I just need to get more creative in how I use it? But it always seems like a hassle to put up (lots of knots to untangle in the lines & such) and it HATES wind and has to be taken down the minute winds pick up
Use two guy lines at the corner(s) with the pole. It makes a difference.

That setup handles moderately windy days. If it's really blowing I'll pull the tarp down. As for tangled knots to untangle. You're wrapping the cord wrong. With light cord like that I use on the Kelty I find a figure 8 wrap over my thumb and little finger works well.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #1825
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 747
I went the cheap route fr my toyhauler. I got a 10 X 15 gazebo that has optional walls with windows. It's a little but of work to setup, but I can keep my bikes inside the gazebo at night instead of in the trailer with me. And for $120 it wasn't expensive.

Another option I'd you want to keep a similar setup to what you currently have, swap out that white parachute material for army issued "shade cloth". We had that stuff in Baghdad and it survived every sandstorm we had for a year straight. And since it's perforated it let's the wind in and keeps you cooler. That's my eventual goal or my rig.

My real name is Chris to stop the cornfusion at the RTE's
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #1826
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:

I'd really like to find a solution that works as well as an awning and is as easy as an awning... but without sticking an ugly awning on the outside of the van

Might be ugly, but you might like an EZ-Up Canopy. They go up and down like a breeze, pack up small enough (you've got TONS of room for even a huge one in that van!) and you can weight down the legs with sand bags (keep 'em empty, then fill them up on site). I've used them during my sport kite days, setting up displays on windy beaches, and my old 12'x12' NEVER moved an inch!

http://www.ezupdirect.com/ezup-insta...s/pyramid2.php
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #1827
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,164
Quote:
Almost 80 degrees here today Gummee (March is Colorado's snowiest month?)...

We had a total of 25 inmates drop by today for some fun playing around on the tracks.

It was a very fun day
No Hooligan Mini-TT?!

Wasn't quite that hot around here. 70s if I'm not mistaken.

High 50s and overcast right now.

Gotta order some gaskets for my Husky... Successfully procrastinated long enough that its another Sun/Mon.

M
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #1828
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
That tarp couldn't even be put up here in West Texas--the wind would destroy it. An EZ Up is so easy to put up (ha ha) and take down, you can use it for a ton of other things, and it will tolerate moderate wind.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #1829
Geek OP
oot & aboot

A trip to the hardware store netted me the bolts I need to bolt a rail of 8020 into the re-enforced van mounting points.

I also found some eyes that fit perfect in my t-nuts

The Posse stand I'm wanting to use is a bit of a problem to mate to the 8020 due to the height differences and the fact that if I raise the posse it doesn't fit the front wheel as well.

I could make a series of junctions to mate the two... but I'm wanting to create something that is less complicated... with less junctions. I'm thinking about perhaps building a basic wheel chock with 8020 and perhaps transferring the top half of the pitposse to it...

Here's the rail mounted to the floor... you can see the beginnings of an 8020 wheel chock

...again playing around... KISS.

The other option is for me to cut the front cross bar out of the pitposse all together and build the 8020 mount backwards....

The main rail is great. Two bolts and it comes out in less than a minute. When mounted it is secure. With the 1.25" washers on top of the rail there is zero play/movement/rocking available even with a long lever attached. I have no doubt you could hang the motorcycle from the rail with the van inverted and it would hold the bike

...to be continued

Geek screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 04:10 PM
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #1830
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Great work Geek, I'm no expert but I was told to only use "forged" eye bolts when you want to hold a load and use open eye bolts for hanging plants and such. I'd hate for one of your anchors to fail and ruin all your hard work.

Green with envy Gerst

Quote:
I also found some eyes that fit perfect in my t-nuts

Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: