Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #2221
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Hi Jeff

I ran a toggle switch on my dash board so I can turn the thing on/off any time I want (actually 3 of them - one turns the stereo off and on, one of them turns the camera off and on, and one of them is "reverse"). I dunno why Pioneer in their "wisdom" defaults to an ignition sensed power up.. but my stereo runs off the house batteries so we can run it while camping with zero impact on the starter battery.

I've hacked the stereo a bit.. one was getting rid of the reverse sensor (i.e. the above toggle) and the other was I figured out a way to bypass the nanny-system which turns off things like destination entry in the navigation system when the van is moving (why can't Cheryl enter a destination when I'm driving by default?).

Way back early somewhere in this thread I eluded to how I did it..

edit:

switches I used: post 194

stereo hack: post 343

Hope this helps
An irresponsible person would hack the system to fool the DVD player into that the parking brake was set that that movies could be watched while driving.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #2222
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,572
The hack I did unlocked everything... streaming netflix from my iphone onto the headunit's screen while driving anyone? ...but I wouldn't do that
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #2223
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,790
Is that sliding bar gonna be strong enough to hold up the bed panels? Seems like you would need some drop down legs in the midddle of the bed?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #2224
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,463
Makes me with I pony up for a Sprinter.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #2225
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Is that sliding bar gonna be strong enough to hold up the bed panels? Seems like you would need some drop down legs in the midddle of the bed?
Works perfectly - it is a molded t-slot steel blank (the material they use to make the t-nuts). it is profile'd to fit perfectly and waaaaay stronger than it needs to be.
I'd guess the t-slot itself will fail before the sliding bar does (and there is one on each end).

Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #2226
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I got a few hours this afternoon to work on the island...

I put a sheet metal base on the flip down table...

I think we're going to try and put some sort of a thing butcher block/counter type thing as a final surface?
...and then an inlay map of Colorado on the bottom as I mentioned before.

We are about to take off for Moab for several days with the dirtbikes in tow so I think I'm going to put a carpet covered piece of wood on top for this trip to act as a countertop... I'll get the real counter tops ordered after we get back (and I get the other cabinet built).

I ran out of 8020 fasteners I've gone through a couple of hundred of the things!
I have another 125 coming.. but a little disappointed as I ordered them last Monday and 8020 didn't ship them until Friday.. so that has stopped me from having the other overhead cabinet and the other kitchen cabinet's framework built

oh well... there's lots of other stuff to do

Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #2227
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,718
The table looks nice! Why not cut a couple pieces of material to match the table size? Maybe Delrin?
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #2228
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
Lord knows ... after working on the Sprinter for a whole "few hours" you deserve a multi-day trip to Moab.

I've still got two more days of work to do before we can go.. .I'm holding us up or we'd be on the road already

I need to build a wood inlay behind the flip down table... I can't use my standard "wood in 8020 slots" like I did below it and on the end. I'm going ot be building a shelf inside the cabinet and I'll use the 8020 of that shelf to do the vertical backside behind the table. The issue is I'm out of fasteners

First priority tomorrow is that I need to get the bed platforms done.. or we'll be sleeping in a tent

Old 10-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #2229
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
The table looks nice! Why not cut a couple pieces of material to match the table size? Maybe Delrin?
We looked at some Delrin sheets today actually... not sure yet.
I think I'll wait and see what we decide the counter tops are going to be and perhaps match it?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #2230
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Evidence otherwise! A couple of weeks ago on a canoe trip (couldn't get the sprinter out to the island )

...and of course the 9fiddy is self contained

Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #2231
Geek OP
oot & aboot

ok.. you got me on that one
Old 10-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #2232
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Do you know how many adventure bikes I can buy for the price of a GXV?

Earth Roamer is about 15 miles from me.. I pass by them every now and then
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #2233
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Well you've seen my van on here and I have been silently lurking every 990 thread on here as I knew I would be one day buying one. Well the fact they changed to the 1190 had me feverishly looking and finding a new 2012 990r at a dealer close by and pulling the trigger on buying it.

I hope to be bringing it home ( as I am presently working away from home) next week in my van. I'm hoping by removing the windscreen , and mirrors and then using tie downs to compress the forks I will be able to MacGuyver it into the back of my motovan.

Trust me the 230 lb Supermoto is a cakewalk but even if I have to use lube , it'll be getting the 990 in with boxes of farkles too.

PS Geek you have got goodies everywhere on this site , you sir have excellent taste in toys of all kinds.

Lurkerlou screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 08:09 PM
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #2234
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I think I'll wait and see what we decide the counter tops are going to be and perhaps match it?
Originally, I thought "match existing" but then I'm thinking Delrin can be some handy stuff to have on hand.
Nice cutting board too
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #2235
Geek OP
oot & aboot

ok.. the island is done enough for this trip:

..as it was when I started this morning:

due to the table I had to recess the backing... which created its own series of challenges due to limitations of what slots could be used due to the wood recessed in the slots..

I added a vertical rail to the left of the table and then that allowed me to run flush wood on that side. Then built in the recess in behind.

Orange trim just for looks

even some down in the gap between the base rails just as an accent (it was that or duct tape )

Temporary carpeted counter top bolted down for this trip:

inside the cabinet is just an ugly mess right now - I did laminate the back of each wood surface with Damplifier pro for sound deadening and anti-rattling. I'll finish the inside of it once we have the counter top/sink because the waterpump, etc will dictate the final interior layout.

Enough procrastinating... time to get the bed wood cut (cutting plywood sheets is such a pain in the arse )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: