Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #211
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
How are you going to explain the mud and sand in the sheets?

Awesome sketchup work. Looks like the chain is kind of tight on your bike, you might want to check that or the counter shaft is going to leak for sure.

So, the bed panels rotate 90 degrees and stack on top of each other on the right side cabinet for transport? You're going to use an inflatable mattress from what I remember?

Thinking aloud...

Have the aft ends of the cabinets open or drawer to the rear. That will allow you to use them easier when setup. Any consideration for making the rear cabinets bench seats and having the bed panels lay across to the tops of the seat backs? (then where do you stow the panels... maybe clip in to the underside of the upper cabinets?) I always need a seat with a work surface. Good for reading, lounging, working, eating, playing games.

Do you plan on only setting up the bed in the evenings, or leaving it?

A lot of good questions... many of which we've been going "round and round" with for months now

Yeah the inflatable bed we have is awesome. It is full mattress thickness and self inflating. You throw it out, hit the button and 2 minutes later you have a really comfortable bed. We originally planned on getting some custom mattresses done.. but truth be told I sleep like a baby on this air bed so it is a low priority for me.

There are only the two of us.. when we rotate both front seats rearward we have plenty of places to sit (with our lounge chairs outside especially). Originally I was going to make the front panel of the bed be able to mount lower and make a bench seat for additional seating.. but that said, last time we were out I really liked having the bed setup the entire time. It sure was nice to climb back there in the afternoon and have a nap and read a book (this van is very much about relaxing and decompressing for us.. work is crazy these days). I'm still undecided on the convertible front bench seat.

As for work surfaces, the front of the cabinets on each side will have a flip up table for each of the rotated seats. Combine that with the counter tops on each side and our camp table outside.. I think we'll be ok. I'm also planning on building a little "personal items' shelf above each of our pillows.. kind of like the berth in a ship. A place to put your eyeglasses, cell phone, headlamp, bearspray, bottle of ibuprofen... etc

If you look on the sprinter forum, quite a few guys have gone with parallel bench seats in the back and then the bed laying over them. It looks like a good setup if you are planning on spending "day time" in the van. I'd prefer the storage space my taller side cabinets allow (between mc gear, mountainbike gear, snowboarding gear, van gear, etc.. space is at a premium).
When we are camping the preferred location to relax is OUTside the van with our nice big lounge chairs we love and our REI table between (as in the photo below). The REI camp table is awesome btw... its aluminum and folds down into a little bag about 6 inches in diameter by 2 feet long. Works well inside and out.. great size overall for eating or playing scrabble or whatever...

My general thoughts at this time:

There is really not enough space in a 144 van that I'd want to spend too much time inside it during the day.
For me, the thing is a portable bedroom/gear&bike hauler. The concession I've made for Cheryl is that it'll also be a portable kitchen making meal preparation much easier for her (not having to setup/break down a camp kitchen).

The bottom half of the sketchup is still missing all the details (the cabinet doors, etc).

The aft end of the left cabinet is going to have an outdoor shower mounted on it. The right side will have a cabinet door and be used for items needing "quick access" that stay with the van - things like the levelling ramps.

We both agree we want an outdoor shower at the back (so when we get back from dirtbiking in moab covered in sweat/dirt we can rinse off before bed). I'm also going to make a concession for Cheryl and buy a portable toilet of some sort... she gets really jealous when I stand in the side door and take a pee in the middle of the night
I haven't yet figured out where I'm going to store it and how to make it best integrate into our usage scenario.

Geek screwed with this post 08-30-2011 at 01:23 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #212
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Sketchup is taking way more time than it is worth.. I already have the entire thing designed in my head but I was hoping to do this and make sure I'm not neglecting anything...
You've done better than I have... I've tried to do some projects with sketchup, but always ended up bailing and using pen/paper. I do wish I had the patience to learn it a bit better.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I can do it.. but using 8020 I'm wondering if I can make a queen size bed frame that also comes apart modularly and turns into a loading ramp
For low $ engineering, maybe instead of starting with 80/20 or unistrut and building a bedframe that could be used as a ramp, start with some aluminum ramp panels and modify them to work as a bedframe? I know that some off-road guys have done something similar by modifying loading ramps into roof-top carriers... (google h-moose and j-moose).

eg: $104 aluminum tri-fold ramp at HF as a component of a bed platform?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #213
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I think Geek should think "outside the box" [pun intended] on this. Get an old T1N derelict sprinter that has been parted out, cut off the cab portion, and make a trailer out of the back portion. Kind of like people do with old pickup trucks. Then put the bikes back in there and have the whole N3W (New style sprinter) for Geek and Geekette. I'm sure someone has done it but it would look super cool. I think I've seen some parted sprinters on the sprinter forum for cheap.

Tom
If I had interest i that I think I'd start with one of these...

Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #214
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by morini-ford View Post
Hmm, this sounds familiar.
I've seen your website and really like your Van layout

For me, SWMBO has made it quite clear we are NOT going to sleep in bunk beds
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #215
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
If I had interest i that I think I'd start with one of these...

Now that is cool, don't know what they call it but if they are looking for names I would vote for "Sprintermog"
Old 08-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #216
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Anybody have any expertise:

Alloy wheels - paint or powdercoat?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #217
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
I'm also going to make a concession for Cheryl and buy a portable toilet of some sort... she gets really jealous when I stand in the side door and take a pee in the middle of the night

Line the bucket with trash bags, toss in a bit of cat litter after "use", snap on the regular lid for storage, by a new $2 five-gallon bucket whenever... Army/Navy, REI, Amazon.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #218
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I think Geek should think "outside the box" [pun intended] on this. Get an old T1N derelict sprinter that has been parted out, cut off the cab portion, and make a trailer out of the back portion. Kind of like people do with old pickup trucks. Then put the bikes back in there and have the whole N3W (New style sprinter) for Geek and Geekette. I'm sure someone has done it but it would look super cool. I think I've seen some parted sprinters on the sprinter forum for cheap.

Tom
Oops.. I missed your point Tom...

You mean build something like "this" to tow behind my sprinter

Old 08-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #219
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post

Line the bucket with trash bags, toss in a bit of cat litter after "use", snap on the regular lid for storage, by a new $2 five-gallon bucket whenever... Army/Navy, REI, Amazon.
That's what I said. She veto'd it

I think it'll end up being more like this:

Old 08-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #220
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Hey! How'd she get in there?

I'm really starting to like this sketchup thing

Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #221
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Anybody have any expertise:
Alloy wheels - paint or powdercoat?
I think the powder-coat is going to be significantly more durable...

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I've heard of guys doing wheels themselves with plasti-dip spray, supposedly with pretty decent results.

The plus side is you can do it without removing the tires from the wheels. (remove wheels from truck, clean/prep, mask, spray, recoat, dry) and you can peel off the entire coating if you decide you don't like it or want to go powdercoat in the future.

There's a ton of youtube videos showing the process and results...
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #222
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
That's what I said. She veto'd it

I think it'll end up being more like this:
For $12, buy the simple style and try it... Those chemical toilets seem like a huge PITA to me, especially for shorter weekend+ type trips.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #223
Geek OP
oot & aboot

The wheels are brand new so they don't have tires yet.

I'm wanting something that mag chloride won't eat.. and the guys at discount tire won't trash when mounting new rubber...
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #224
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I almost forgot! I need a place to store my RC helicopter too....

Our fly fishing rods will mount to the bottom of the left cabinet.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #225
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
The wheels are brand new so they don't have tires yet.

I'm wanting something that mag chloride won't eat.. and the guys at discount tire won't trash when mounting new rubber...
Gotcha... I was thinking you wanted to make the OEM wheels black, and with the extra hassle of unmounting/remounting you might want a super-cheap short term solution.

With all the work you are doing, maybe buy your own powdercoat gun? HF $75, Eastwood $100-$180, wheels will fit right in your kitchen oven! Some 80/20 pieces as well...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: