Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #2416
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
A good parts man will know what's interchangeable. Too bad those are in such short supply.
Last time I went in a Checker auto supply and asked for pressure plate bolts, guy asked what a pressure plate was.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #2417
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 566
Opinion on roof height

Hey Geek

Great Sprinter build. I was gonna buy a 20 yr old Eurovan Westfalia but now I have decided I don't want to spend that much on a old vehicle. So I'm thinking Sprinter. I'm gonna use it for basically the same thing you are using yours for. Tired of tenting. I'll keep it pretty basic till it's paid off. I just want to sleep in it and be able to swivel the seats around and sit in it when the weather is bad. I don't really plan on spending much time standing in it. I'll cook at the picnic table or portable table under the awning off the van. I'm 6' 2" but I think I'd be ok with the standard height crew van. Cheaper and better on fuel. What are your thoughts on roof height now you have had yours for a while. Thanks Blair

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #2418
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,275
imho, buy the tall one... that's the point of the sprinter for me.

I would gladly give up a mpg for the tall one. I LOVE being able to stand up inside. Getting into your riding gear.. or out of... or getting changed.. etc - it is so nice being able to stand up and stretch out in the thing.

Being able to stand up and walk around the bikes when you are tying them down.. being able to put a tall bike inside like the 950 and it fits no problem and without having to crawl around being bent over. You don't have to compress the forks or remove the windscreen on tall bikes.

The extra vertical space also provides tons of storage if you put in top cabinets like I have - all for free (no extra length).
My one upper cabinet down the driver's side is more than enough to hold all of two people's riding gear - helmets, boots, kneepads, armor, ride pants, etc - completely with space left over - and you've not used 1 inch of floor space.

...but I'm biased

Geek screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 01:29 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #2419
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Thanks Geek

Food for thought. They have some wicked deals on right now. MB is discounting the price by 4K plus 1K fuel card. Unfortunately that's only on remaining stock no standard height but at least 1 Crew like yours available.

Baja

Kootenays

Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #2420
Geek OP
oot & aboot

They are changing the headlights and some other cosmetic things rumor has it.. so they probably want to clear the current "look".
Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #2421
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,557
I wonder if Ford will be in the mid 20s, or high 30s like the sprinter?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #2422
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
...but I'm biased
And bought stock in 80/20 Inc.?

troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #2423
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Hey Geek

Great Sprinter build. I was gonna buy a 20 yr old Eurovan Westfalia but now I have decided I don't want to spend that much on a old vehicle. So I'm thinking Sprinter. I'm gonna use it for basically the same thing you are using yours for. Tired of tenting. I'll keep it pretty basic till it's paid off. I just want to sleep in it and be able to swivel the seats around and sit in it when the weather is bad. I don't really plan on spending much time standing in it. I'll cook at the picnic table or portable table under the awning off the van. I'm 6' 2" but I think I'd be ok with the standard height crew van. Cheaper and better on fuel. What are your thoughts on roof height now you have had yours for a while. Thanks Blair
Have you considered the Nissan NV (assuming they're offered in Canada)? I've seen them bought OTD in the mid-$20K(US) range. Owners are reporting upper-teens for MPG, with a high-roof and V6.

Quote:
imho, buy the tall one... that's the point of the sprinter for me.

I would gladly give up a mpg for the tall one. I LOVE being able to stand up inside. Getting into your riding gear.. or out of... or getting changed.. etc - it is so nice being able to stand up and stretch out in the thing.

Being able to stand up and walk around the bikes when you are tying them down.. being able to put a tall bike inside like the 950 and it fits no problem and without having to crawl around being bent over. You don't have to compress the forks or remove the windscreen on tall bikes.

The extra vertical space also provides tons of storage if you put in top cabinets like I have - all for free (no extra length).
My one upper cabinet down the driver's side is more than enough to hold all of two people's riding gear - helmets, boots, kneepads, armor, ride pants, etc - completely with space left over - and you've not used 1 inch of floor space.

...but I'm biased
Having lived OTR as a truck driver for 18yrs, I have to agree. Going from a flattop cab to a mid-roof to a stand-up sleeper makes one spoiled and not willing to go back to a flattop.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #2424
Holaday
Man of Leisure

[QUOTE=ducnut;20253882]Have you considered the Nissan NV (assuming they're offered in Canada)? I've seen them bought OTD in the mid-$20K(US) range. Owners are reporting upper-teens for MPG, with a high-roof and V6.

Looked at them online. I'd go drive one if they had a diesel version. If I'm buying new I want a diesel. I have a Toyota Echo for day to day driving, so I'm not in a rush to buy. I think I'll wait till late spring and see if there is any sign of the Ford Transit. Till then I'll keep saving towards my down payment.

Baja

Kootenays

Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #2425
Geek OP
oot & aboot

My muffler arrived from Turkey

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #2426
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Poptop question.

Geek,
Do you know if you could reinforce the tall roof and then be able to put in a poptop to sleep 4? I know as is, the tall roof will not support the weight of a sportsmobile or eurovan poptop conversion. I currently have a Westfalia but as you know with the rear engine, you can't pull things in/out.....and it's slow!

Thanks and love following your work!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #2427
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Can someone tell me where I can get the gray corrugated plastic that's on the lower sidewalls in the sprinters. I looked back through the thread but can't find it.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #2428
Geek OP
oot & aboot

The Sprinter came with it - I'm sure you could buy it from Mercedes but it'd be stupid expensive.

There is a very similar product used in RC airplanes called "coroplast" - it is not exactly the same but close (you can google images).

If you are wanting to cut your own panels you might do better buying something like that in sheets?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #2429
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
Can someone tell me where I can get the gray corrugated plastic that's on the lower sidewalls in the sprinters. I looked back through the thread but can't find it.
Quote:
The Sprinter came with it - I'm sure you could buy it from Mercedes but it'd be stupid expensive.

There is a very similar product used in RC airplanes called "coroplast" - it is not exactly the same but close (you can google images).

If you are wanting to cut your own panels you might do better buying something like that in sheets?

I believe there are similar products in home improvement stores. Also, Nudo makes a variety of panels.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #2430
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I believe there are similar products in home improvement stores. Also, Nudo makes a variety of panels.
Thanks. I am looking for sheets to cover the sidewalls for now after I sound proof and insulate. Just got a 2012 crew .

Xmoto screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 05:30 PM
Xmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: