ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #2731
DirtySantana
Chopper
 
DirtySantana's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Better than where your at.
Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Miguel: I don't have a firm time, but I think Lemur Pilot is going to come by this Friday to help install the awning.

Giggity: Thanks for the offer! Paul (Lemur) wants to help install it so he can see what is involved before buying one for his Sprinter. That said; if you are passing by feel free to drop by.


Now I gotta come up with a second 8 foot ladder
I have a ladder if you need it.
__________________
‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’ — Mahatma Ghandi
DirtySantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #2732
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,633
I think the final piece of the installation will take 2 ladders.. so that'd be great (assuming you can find a vehicle big enough to carry a ladder with )

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #2733
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
The point was the wheels throw off the speedometer.
The point wasn't how much.
I get your point, the tires and wheels will throw off your speedometer, even tires that are marked the same size but sold under different brand names will be a slightly different rolling distance per revolution. I hope you realize your odometer is linked to this change too, something to keep in mind with your scheduled service intervals.

For others to be aware, Federal standards for new vehicles (production) is 10% error, that means that you buy a new vehicle and the speedometer is allowed to be off by 10% high and low from your actual speed. This means at 60 mph displayed speed you may be going 66 mph or 54 mph and anywhere in between (yes you can get a speeding ticket when your speedometer says you were going the speed limit). It is suggested that you verify your speed with a GPS so you are aware of your actual speed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Didn't take me long to sort out the derpapotomous tactic again.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #2734
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I think the final piece of the installation will take 2 ladders.. so that'd be great (assuming you can find a vehicle big enough to carry a ladder with )

you just need a few people my size rather than ladders.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Didn't take me long to sort out the derpapotomous tactic again.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #2735
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,633
We're watching "A good day to die hard" - the new Bruce Willis flick.

Awesome car chase scene where the good guys are in a Sprinter

We counted at least 25 "van changes" where you aren't supposed to notice they keep switching between a high roof and a low roof Sprinter in the shot for various stunts (and never mind the headlight was popped out and then gets magically popped back in )

Apparently they destroyed 132 cars in the filming of the scene



Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #2736
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe
 
neanderthal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles. ca.
Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
I get your point, the tires and wheels will throw off your speedometer, even tires that are marked the same size but sold under different brand names will be a slightly different rolling distance per revolution. I hope you realize your odometer is linked to this change too, something to keep in mind with your scheduled service intervals.

For others to be aware, Federal standards for new vehicles (production) is 10% error, that means that you buy a new vehicle and the speedometer is allowed to be off by 10% high and low from your actual speed. This means at 60 mph displayed speed you may be going 66 mph or 54 mph and anywhere in between (yes you can get a speeding ticket when your speedometer says you were going the speed limit). It is suggested that you verify your speed with a GPS so you are aware of your actual speed.

Not quite. Federal rules say the speedo can read up to 10% high. NOT low.
__________________
'O=00=O'
BMW 2002. long live the legend
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #2737
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!
 
rthuey's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: insanity is not as easy as i make it look
Oddometer: 2,694
since you hijacked your own thread with movie talk first. we just got back from a prescreen of the new 'star trek' you mere mortals have to wait until friday for. awesome. i must report that 0, zip, zero sprinters were seen or harmed in the making of this movie, but they did go through a couple starships. nonetheless it is sure to pull in new trekkies and put a smile on old ones.


i know you have thought about wrapping your van. there is a new 'new york' style wrap available

__________________
We're gonna go ridin!!!
rthuey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #2738
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Not quite. Federal rules say the speedo can read up to 10% high. NOT low.
§ 393.82 Speedometer.

Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within plus or minus 8 km/hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph).

So am I reading this wrong out of the Code of Federal Regulations?

Quote taken from here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Didn't take me long to sort out the derpapotomous tactic again.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #2739
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe
 
neanderthal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles. ca.
Oddometer: 1,813
I stand corrected.
__________________
'O=00=O'
BMW 2002. long live the legend
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #2740
Keith
Slabbing it
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: 901
Oddometer: 838
To put this to rest.


5 minutes of google-fu says that Geek's new tires roll 657 times per mile.

Old tires roll 683 times per mile. A little math means that the new tires are 3.957% larger. Put that in your speedometer and smoke it for whatever speed you want.
__________________
Random Crap
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #2741
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeinEugene's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Eugene OR
Oddometer: 2,416
Great site if you're looking for what tires do what:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #2742
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,633
While you nerds were discussing tires ( ).. I was taking advantage of one of the cool things about owning a Sprinter:
I can leave my mountain bike in it

I had a little time to kill between clients and voila! The Sprinter changed wasted time into a great time



Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #2743
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,633
I just got word that the CRL windows are ready for pickup.

The Hehr window is supposed to ship May 31.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #2744
digger2
A Cad & A Bounder
 
digger2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego Ca
Oddometer: 626
now at walmart

and cheaper still
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
You are getting ripped off. DEF all has to meet the same requirements in the US. The ford part # for 2.5 Gal is PM27J it is about $15.00 for 2 1/2 gallons. The blue is just dye.
digger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #2745
changingground
Gnarly Adventurer
 
changingground's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
While you nerds were discussing tires ( ).. I was taking advantage of one of the cool things about owning a Sprinter:
I can leave my mountain bike in it

I had a little time to kill between clients and voila! The Sprinter changed wasted time into a great time



Where dat? If you please.
changingground is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014