Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #3091
Theaty Hannington
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
With friends like you guys... do I get to come along on my adventure?

I'm not going to take a picture of myself while pissing.

Plus, it's a well known fact that a drunk photographer is a good photographer.

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Theaty Hannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #3092
HaveLoveWillTravel
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Great van.

Hunting around the internet for Econoline swivel seat bases, I found my way to this thread. A lot of planning and work went into this project, and it shows. The thing looks great!

It's a pretty long thread to shift through, but discovering the existence of a Rivet-Nut tool, and the 8020 railing system alone was worth sorting through it. Especially the Rivet-Nut tool. That is a perfect, and elegant solution to building out or customizing vehicles.

With respect to interior lighting, you were considering installing recessed LED lamps. It's too late for this now because those cabinets look great, but an alternative for future builders considering a similar path, would be to use a translucent privacy screen similar to what's in this picture:

The advantage of going this route is it would probably make the interior feel more spacious, but also those LED strings could be installed inside of the cabinets as the general house lights. I've got a string in my cargo van, and let me tell you, they are VERY bright.

Anyways, like I said, great job on this project. I, like many I'm sure, am curious to know the final tally for all the modifications.
HaveLoveWillTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #3093
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Nice! You need to start thinking about an epic trip (Denver to Tierra del fuego?) with your bride, bikes, Yeti and Sprinter.
Currently reading this thread from Tierrra del Fuego. I concur.

Man, do I wish that I had that kit down here!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #3094
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,098
Building an Adventure Van

The time has come...

edit: not that time

Way back when I was looking to turn my aluminum wheels black, a bunch of folks mentioned plasti-dip.
For those wheels I went with powder coat.

I think it is going to be a snowy winter around here this year and my BFGs are pretty much done. So I'm going to throw the stock steelies back on the van with the original tires (which are supposed to be pretty good in the snow and have less than 7k on them).

The issue is.. in my mind, all wheels should be black - and the silver steelies are some of the ugliest wheels ever

Time to give plasti-dip a try.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #3095
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Its also time to get started on the hinged cabinet doors (as opposed to the sliders I've already put in).

Holy crap I had no idea there were so many type of cabinet hinges

faceframe... frameless...full overlay.. half overlay.. inset.. shock absorbing... etc. I just want hinges that screw into 15 series 80/20 with an M8 bolt on one side and wood on the other side. Open when I pull and close when I push. Is that too much to ask?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #3096
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 6,998
Quote:

I'm interested to see how it holds up to your brand of abuse winter!

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #3097
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
What's the beef with sliders? (curious before I build mine)

Some Neo magnets outa keep those hinged doors closed even with that stability software working away
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #3098
Geek OP
oot & aboot

the slider doors? no beef.. love 'em!

All of the overhead cabinets have sliding doors and they work great.

The lower cabinets (under the counter tops) do not have the width for a slider door... (one cabinet is 10" wide for example) so a hinged door will work better in that situation.

For example the cabinet space to the right of the fridge door in this photo (which in the photo has a couple of solid boards - but will be a fully functional two shelf cabinet) needs a hinged door:

old photo:
Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #3099
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Its also time to get started on the hinged cabinet doors (as opposed to the sliders I've already put in).

Holy crap I had no idea there were so many type of cabinet hinges

faceframe... frameless...full overlay.. half overlay.. inset.. shock absorbing... etc. I just want hinges that screw into 15 series 80/20 with an M8 bolt on one side and wood on the other side. Open when I pull and close when I push. Is that too much to ask?
Quote:
the slider doors? no beef.. love 'em!

All of the overhead cabinets have sliding doors and they work great.

The lower cabinets (under the counter tops) do not have the width for a slider door... (one cabinet is 10" wide for example) so a hinged door will work better in that situation.

For example the cabinet space to the right of the fridge door in this photo (which in the photo has a couple of solid boards - but will be a fully functional two shelf cabinet) needs a hinged door:

old photo:
What type of door do you want to have on the cabinet? one that sits inside the channel (like the boards you pointed out next to the refrigerator) or over the front of it (like most kitchen cabinets have)?

If you really want to get slick and techie, make that spot a partial cabinet and make a motorized slider drawer on the bottom complete with dog bowls for your puppy.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #3100
Geek OP
oot & aboot

THe bottom of that cabinet area has two 10 inch subwoofers in it - so only the top 2/3 will be cupboard space.

Ideally I'd like recessed doors kinda like how the wood is. The goal is to keep the entire isle "snag free".
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #3101
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
THe bottom of that cabinet area has two 10 inch subwoofers in it - so only the top 2/3 will be cupboard space.

Ideally I'd like recessed doors kinda like how the wood is. The goal is to keep the entire isle "snag free".
Ok, so I am thinking a "Push pop" cabinet setup is what you are looking for along with the recessed doors and concealed hinges, I will see what I can come up with.

What does the inside look like for a hinge to attach to? Is there wood there to bore a ressess in to?

Big Bird 928 screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 04:46 PM
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #3102
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Push pop is exactly what I'm aiming to do.

The issue is there is not wood to mount the "cabinet" side to.. (i.e. I can't bore one of those big holes) - because it'll be mounting into a t-slot on the 15-series 8020. (i.e. 1.5" square)

i.e. the cabinet corners are made of this stuff:

So basically my mounting option is the slot facing the cabinet opening (as the slot behind it contains the cabinet wall).

In some of the cabinets I might have the option to mount to the wooden wall - but then the hinge would have to have the ability to step out and around the aluminum 1.5" corner piece.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #3103
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

ok, thanks. I may have to call my friend the cabenet maker for ideas, that may take a while as first we have to talk about some model A's and T's then 8n's and flatheads in general... you get the idea.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #3104
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Stumbled onto this and immediately thought of you.

ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #3105
epicday
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
How do you like it?

I did mine when I first got the van and I love it. I even plastidipped the rear emblem on the back door and the wheels on my trailer..... Great stuff. Hope that you like it.
Quote:
The time has come...

edit: not that time

Way back when I was looking to turn my aluminum wheels black, a bunch of folks mentioned plasti-dip.
For those wheels I went with powder coat.

I think it is going to be a snowy winter around here this year and my BFGs are pretty much done. So I'm going to throw the stock steelies back on the van with the original tires (which are supposed to be pretty good in the snow and have less than 7k on them).

The issue is.. in my mind, all wheels should be black - and the silver steelies are some of the ugliest wheels ever

epicday is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: