Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #3346
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Problems in the bedroom?

Well... maybe last thing in the morning in a rush to go biking, haste doesn't make waste in my book, not my problemo, just unfinished business for later on
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #3347
herbieGB

Oddometer: 6
Im glad your getting to ceiling insulation, Ive been trying different things but it all comes falling down in the summer time. Trying to find an adhesive that is strong enough to hold in the hot and cold but wont melt foam insulation has been a tough task. Looks like your using foil backed insulation instead of foam, seems like a good idea cause i was getting squeeks with the foam. Do you have any more info on the name or company that makes the foil backed?
And never thought to use contact cement, I was just looking in the spray adhesive isle.
Thanks for all the great ideas, prolly wouldnt have tried this stuff on my own
herbieGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #3348
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbieGB View Post
Im glad your getting to ceiling insulation, Ive been trying different things but it all comes falling down in the summer time. Trying to find an adhesive that is strong enough to hold in the hot and cold but wont melt foam insulation has been a tough task. Looks like your using foil backed insulation instead of foam, seems like a good idea cause i was getting squeeks with the foam. Do you have any more info on the name or company that makes the foil backed?
And never thought to use contact cement, I was just looking in the spray adhesive isle.
Thanks for all the great ideas, prolly wouldnt have tried this stuff on my own
The stuff I've used on the ceiling is kind of a "foil wrapped insulation".. it kind of looks like recycled denim.

The guys I bought it from call it "Heat Wave Pro" but in reality they are just re marketing someone else's product.

It came in is "manufacturer's packaging" and it had a name on it (Thermo something?)
I'll try and remember to snap a photo of it for you when I'm out in the shop later today.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #3349
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,515
During my recent fuel pump replacement adventure I had to cut a good-sized hole through the bottom of the Astro van to access the pump. Locating the pump required cutting through the carpeting in a few spots.
The hole is patched and now I need to replace the carpet. The van has almost 194,000 miles on it and I'm not inclined to spend a lot of money on this. I also camp in the van, a lot, and appreciate the sound dampening and warmth of the padded carpet that comes from the factory.
Help me come up with a creative solution for replacement carpet that doesn't cost a ton of money.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #3350
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
During my recent fuel pump replacement adventure I had to cut a good-sized hole through the bottom of the Astro van to access the pump. Locating the pump required cutting through the carpeting in a few spots.
The hole is patched and now I need to replace the carpet. The van has almost 194,000 miles on it and I'm not inclined to spend a lot of money on this. I also camp in the van, a lot, and appreciate the sound dampening and warmth of the padded carpet that comes from the factory.
Help me come up with a creative solution for replacement carpet that doesn't cost a ton of money.
What happened to the pieces that you cut out? Could you just glue them back in?
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #3351
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,219
$30 or so at Lowes or HD.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #3352
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Not to promote thread jacking... look at CL for carpet in your area.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #3353
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,636
Just finished reading the entire thread. Wow. Just completely awesome! Good job Geek! This is as good as a ride report!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #3354
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Not to promote thread jacking... look at CL for carpet in your area.
The carpet is one thing, but some kind of backing bonded to it for warmth and sound dampening is another.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #3355
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
It doesn't have to be bonded, layers makes the difference in insulation. Refletix, padding then carpet would most likely be good for all conditions.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #3356
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,263
FWIW.. You wouldn't want reflectex under you - in crinkles and crushes out eliminating the insulation value as it loses it's air pockets.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #3357
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
FWIW.. You wouldn't want reflectex under you - in crinkles and crushes out eliminating the insulation value as it loses it's air pockets.
That's my thought. Any insulation would need to be crush-proof.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #3358
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first...?src=soc_fcbks
and discuss
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #3359
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post

From the article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road and Track
Just two months after the 4x4 Sprinter was announced for Europe, it's been marked for America, too.

On sale in the first quarter of 2015, you will only be able to get it with a 3.0-liter six-cylinder BlueTEC diesel, good for 188 hp and 325 lb-ft, the top engine offering in Europe. The four-wheel-drive system is a version of the 4ETS—better known as 4MATIC—found in all-wheel-drive Mercedes passenger cars and ML- and GL-Class SUVs. Unlike the cars, however, it is pushbutton-selectable in the Sprinter, with a load-adaptable 35:65 front/rear split. And just like the European version, there's an optional low range with an additional 42 percent gear reduction. Lifted 4.3 inches front and 3.1 inches rear, it gets a 20 percent improvement in approach angle.
Don't tell Geek.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #3360
ArcticaMT6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

From the article:

Don't tell Geek.
I'm sure he already has one on order.
ArcticaMT6 is offline   Reply With Quote