Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 141 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #556
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
You hafta consider where the rest of the 'door' is going to go when it's rolled up. I think it would eat up too much headroom when 'coiled up' above you head...much like an overhead door.

If you want a door or movable wall between the driver's compartment and the cargo bay, I think I'd use 'real' pocket doors, on sliders.
If it were me I would either run it flat along the ceiling or coil it up FORWARD and hide it under an overhead console. Side sliding pocket doors are a whole lot easier, but you are limited on width and your wall has to be flat. A rollup can be wider and you can angle the wall to recover the space behind the seat if you want.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #557
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,622
Geode:

I've a concern with water/mold/rust on the floor as we'll be using this thing all winter snowboarding (i.e. melted snow).

I'm considering putting a "pool liner" under the floor and above the luxury liner pro (which is a giant sponge) and creating a giant "bathtub" that can't be permeated.

Any wisdom/thoughts from the boating world on whether what I'm thinking is a good solution?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #558
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oops I meant Pond liner.. not pool liner.. i.e. "a big floor condom"

I was thinking of lifting the floor and laying a big sheet of this down over the entire interior floor and then maybe a foot up the wall all the way around.

Then just lay everything right over it...

I'm working on an idea where I'm going to be building a "riser floor" out of 8020 with panel inserts.. that would be over the pond liner so I could easily lift out any panel and clean under it if need be.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #559
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,821
Diggin' the van buildup all the way down in south Louisiana.

The pond liner is a great idea-the only thing I'm slightly skittish over is the potential for condensation trapped between the liner and the OEM metal flooring...would have all the makings for rusting.

You could try it for a season and check once A-Basin Closes for the year

Dirty
Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #560
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I was thinking of lifting the floor and laying a big sheet of this down over the entire interior floor and then maybe a foot up the wall all the way around.

I'm working on an idea where I'm going to be building a "riser floor" out of 8020 with panel inserts.. that would be over the pond liner so I could easily lift out any panel and clean under it if need be.
The problem with solutions like that is while they help prevent water from going from top to bottom, they also prevent any evaporation and will trap any moisture that happens to occur underneath. Often they promote more rust than they prevent...

Pull up the plastic truck liner that has been on a pickup truck since day one, and often you will see quite a mess underneath. Now of course your van interior isn't exposed to the elements like a pickup bed, but I bet there will still be condensation, especially since during the Winter, the top of the plastic will be warm/heated, and the bottom cold.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #561
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Geode:

I've a concern with water/mold/rust on the floor as we'll be using this thing all winter snowboarding (i.e. melted snow).

I'm considering putting a "pool liner" under the floor and above the luxury liner pro (which is a giant sponge) and creating a giant "bathtub" that can't be permeated.

Any wisdom/thoughts from the boating world on whether what I'm thinking is a good solution?
Geek,

Just found your thread yesterday. Read the entire thing. Awesome Sprinter!

I remember thinking about water and dirt issues when I read about your plans for the floor and then today I got caught up and look what the current discussion is about....

If I were you, I would use a product like this: http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/liquid.htm

or maybe this: http://www.basspro.com/Ultra-Tuff-Ru...name_link'

There are a bunch of different sound deadening coatings used for the marine industry that I think would work really well for your application. I would envision opening up the rear doors and using a hose from the slider side to completely clean the entire floor.

I would even go so far to say that you could just paint the entire interior; floor, wall and ceiling with the stuff and return those sound sheets you have been discussing. It would probably save a lot of weight too.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #562
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Diggin' the van buildup all the way down in south Louisiana.

The pond liner is a great idea-the only thing I'm slightly skittish over is the potential for condensation trapped between the liner and the OEM metal flooring...would have all the makings for rusting.

You could try it for a season and check once A-Basin Closes for the year

Dirty
My first thought. What about truck-bed liner instead
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #563
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,434
Quote:
Oops I meant Pond liner.. not pool liner.. i.e. "a big floor condom"

If this is the route you go with look into rubber roofing. Le$$ Essentially the same thing. If you do use it in your pond just tell your fish you bought pond liner.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #564
Geek OP
oot & aboot

So what I really need is a 40 foot gortex tarp from REI so the floor can breath

Appreciate all the input gents
Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #565
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
If this is the route you go with look into rubber roofing. Le$$ Essentially the same thing. If you do use it in your pond just tell your fish you bought pond liner.
I was thinking the same thing.

I have a 20' wide roll (it's called EPDM in the roofing industry) in the garage. One can cut it out around wheelwells and such. Just use the appropriate glue, seam tape, and cured flashing to attach pieces together. I have those items, too. If only "Geek" lived closer.

However, if the van were mine, I'd have Rhino Liner sprayed in. You have to be specific with your applicator about what exactly it is you want. They can vary the thickness and texture, based on your needs.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #566
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
However, if the van were mine, I'd have Rhino Liner sprayed in. You have to be specific with your applicator about what exactly it is you want. They can vary the thickness and texture, based on your needs.
That is likely what I am gong to do to my floor and wheel wells. Just not sure of the fumes and how long it take to fully evaporate out?
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #567
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,202
Another $0.02 from different direction.

Geek, I think you may be asking for more problems while trying to solve a very minor one.

If you were in the panhandle of Florida dumping wet scuba gear and sand in the back you should be concerned. The sand and salt is going to eventually cause a problem as it migrates to the lowest point and starts to do its business. You'd have all the ingredients for what you're expecting in CO, salt, water, abrasive and high humidity.

In CO all you're going to have is, maybe, some water. The low humidities should take care of any water fairly quickly. I would approach the problem as Geode described: keep it out (shake off equipment, boots, etc.), catch it if it gets in (have a winter absorbent mat you can put down to catch any excess moisture) and remove it if it does.

I wish I could sell my Tacoma so I could get started on my project Sprinter.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #568
mxbulldog
Braaaap!

Oddometer: 117
I second the rhino liner or a like product. In the back of my 98 extended Dodge 2500 van, I sprayed the floor and about a foot up the walls with bed liner that I got from the local body shop supply store. I did all the work and with a new sprayer for it and a pail of bed liner the price was quite low. All I did was scuff up the paint underneath really well, then cleaned it with acetone(I think) and then shot the bed liner. I laid it on nice and thick and it was totally sealed and waterproof. I could hose it out very easily and it really cut down on road noise from rocks and gravel hitting the wheel wells.

Previous to this, I had some old carpet with an inch of foamy rubber underlay. It sopped up water and held it and was starting to rust the floor. I threw all that out and put in the bedliner.
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #569
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
That is likely what I am gong to do to my floor and wheel wells. Just not sure of the fumes and how long it take to fully evaporate out?
Not long, as it "flashes" very quickly. Just leave the doors open for 24hrs, in the sun as much as possible, and the smell should be almost non-existent.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #570
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

I have a 20' wide roll (it's called EPDM in the roofing industry) in the garage. One can cut it out around wheelwells and such. Just use the appropriate glue, seam tape, and cured flashing to attach pieces together. I have those items, too. If only "Geek" lived closer.

The UNIFLEX system also makes a great vapor barrier, however not very sturdy for traffic areas on roofing. It's Energy Star rating and .9 emissivity factor do however have ++ in it's favor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: