Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #841
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I'd still wrap it. That advertising is seen by tens of thousands of eyes, everyday. If it generates a contact, no matter how busy you are, it's still a contact. Furthermore, your being busy, generates positive reinforcement for the potential client/contact. Many are willing to wait. Though, I'm not sure with your particular business. Anyway, just a thought, as my buddy's facing the same "problem" with his business and we've had the same discussion. Lastly, wraps endure the scratches and scrapes of the environment.

Additionally, the body shop's paint job will never be as nice or durable as what's already on there. If you paint it black, every place (jambs, exposed interior metal, underhood, etc) that is still white is going to drive you nuts. This project clearly demonstrates your desire to have everything a certain way. You may lose sleep over the unpainted areas. I know I would.

I agree.

Sprinters, no matter the color, are awesome!

I don't know of many as OCD as me. When I bought my black pickup and black Featherlite, I built a shop big enough to house them. I, then, went and added a black motorcycle........and a bunch of other stuff in there, too. I keep a cheap vehicle for an everyday driver. I keep my other stuff spotless and under covers. I shower multiple times a day. I scrutinize everything I see. People give me shit all the time about my obsessive-ness, but, at least I care about things, unlike most of the rest of the world. My mantra is: to buy it once, take care of it, and it'll last 'til death.
You could go with a black wrap that will protect the paint. and can keep the white roof to help keep temps down, or not. Black paint always scratches and is more noticeable but it does look cool.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #842
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,634
Quote:
Additionally, the body shop's paint job will never be as nice or durable as what's already on there
Any other vehicle I would agree.. unfortunately not with Sprinters.

Sprinters have notoriously shitty paint.
It is single coat, not even clear coated.
You can scrape to bare metal with a coin and not much pressure.

Guys have 2010 models that are starting to rust! WTF?

If I bring it to be painted I'll be going to a quality shop that does quality work. I don't mind paying to have it done properly.

Another inmate locally that has had his vehicle wrapped told me that in our climate a wrap lasts ~4 years. His installer guaranteed it for 2 years. Going through this headache several times doesn't appeal to me - does anyone else have a different more positive experience? s

I looked at a sprinter that had a wrap removed and the stock shitty paint was absolutely shredded from the removal (i.e. the van ended up needing a full paint job). I suspect though that that was a function of the idiot that removed the wrap not doing it right?

I appreciate the input gents!

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #843
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post
An ADVKitty Van??

Those are the sheets we save for weekends... there were different ones on there this morning
Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #844
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

If I bring it to be painted I'll be going to a quality shop that does quality work. I don't mind paying to have it done properly.

Another inmate locally that has had his vehicle wrapped told me that in our climate a wrap lasts ~4 years. His installer guaranteed it for 2 years. Going through this headache several times doesn't appeal to me - does anyone else have a different more positive experience? s

I looked at a sprinter that had a wrap removed and the stock shitty paint was absolutely shredded from the removal (i.e. the van ended up needing a full paint job). I suspect though that that was a function of the idiot that removed the wrap not doing it right?

I appreciate the input gents!

One of the services my company does is bus wraps. The majority of wrap vinyl is from 3M and there are several grades with varying durability warranties. The premium stuff is 5 years on a vertical exterior surface.

When I had my boat I applied a name graphic to side that was about 4' long. Had it on there for about three and a half years before it was sold and the new owner didn't want it on there. Removed and buffed out you could not tell it had been there.

Some installers will scratch the paint when they cut it on the vehicle for fitting and trimming. Removing it isn't what creates the 'shredding' effect. It's quite easy to remove, just peels off.

Another way to use graphics which I assume you're aware of is to do a partial. Incorporate the base color in the overall look with color or image applied where needed/wanted.

An overal color change is not advisable for the reasons stated.

BTW, been lurking and enjoying the thread for a number of pages. Nice project.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #845
DirtySantana
Chopper

Quote:

Additionally, the body shop's paint job will never be as nice or durable as what's already on there. If you paint it black, every place (jambs, exposed interior metal, underhood, etc) that is still white is going to drive you nuts. This project clearly demonstrates your desire to have everything a certain way. You may lose sleep over the unpainted areas. I know I would.
I think that there are lots of paint shops out there that are capable of putting out quality paint jobs that exceed that of the factories. Many shops now have the same technology and material quality at hand the real difference is that the factory can do it on a massive scale.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #846
Geek OP
oot & aboot

It is more of a "hue" than a color - a steel blue...

For the life of me I can't get photoshop to look like what I see in my brain

web browser engines suck at subtle changes

Then take my "2 stripes over the top" and do them in the other shade of blue...

....and then I came across this color which I really like!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #847
Geek OP
oot & aboot

If Cheryl would let me.. I'd paint it like a P40 warhawk

or
Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #848
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Or how cool would it be to paint it like an old willies!

then you would never have to wash it
Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #849
tweetie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
tweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #850
Geek OP
oot & aboot

ok.. disregard all the color discussion.

I just ran an errand and I really do like the monochromaticness of the black windows & wheels and white paint.

...today.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #851
DirtySantana
Chopper

Quote:
ok.. disregard all the color discussion.

I just ran an errand and I really do like the monochromaticness of the black windows & wheels and white paint.

...today.

Just think of all the money you saved in a paint job and at the car wash.

I've had a couple black vehicles and it was impossible to keep a clean look. Silver seemed to be the best color to keep looking clean longer.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #852
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:

Crap! I didn't realize that. Well then.........
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #853
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
seems to me Geek that you'll be painting it soon anyway, if nothing else than to get the racing stripes on and a clearcoat over that.

especially with winter road salt right around the corner.

Around the corner?

(yesterday)

I like the white, Geek. It's way easier to keep looking good than black.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #854
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
Three things, oh Geeky one:

1. Ditto Gummee's mpg loss experience on his S320. The Williebago loses about 2 mpg with the bars and bike mounts, and 4 with both bikes mounted.

2. Black sucks. I'll never own another black vehicle. Wait for the lack of clear coat to show itself, then paint it a medium gray - the sheet-color ps job looks good to me.

3. Great build. I've enjoyed watching and will continue to.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #855
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
I saw a matte black one and it looked pretty bad ass. Not sure how durable matte paint is though, although it could have been wrapped as well, not sure.

Just saw your post reconsidering....white always looks clean...and doesn't show scratches.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: