Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 157 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #931
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
What about loctite...does that change the torque?
Absolutely. Even though it's not referred to as a "lubricant", it still eases the passing of two surfaces, while wet. To what extent, I'm not sure. However, the same can be said of any lubricant, as it'd be difficult to quantify to what extent "X" lube actually affected the passing of "X" material(s). Too deep a subject for me.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #932
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,799
Today was a bit of a frustrating day.

I finished the luxury liner pro on the left side front face I redid

..and mounted it in the van

then I finished the right side panel and mounted it in the van

...as I start to back build the box, the frustration kicks in.

NOTHING in this van is linear or parallel. Yes, I already knew this but didn't realize just how much this would come into play until I start to have to make certain surfaces parallel.

My long floor rails must be parallel for the flooring and my upper rails must be parallel for the flip up bed modules. Everything has to key off of these measurements and although something might be square and perfect.. it is not square and perfect to the van's surfaces.. so every part needs to be custom tended to... measurements become somewhat irrelevant other than in the distances you need to be equal.

The boxes are square are square and parallel (ignore the lens distortion) but each added piece shows another curve of the van needing attention.

It all stems from the fact that my "main rails" that are mounted on the van's sides are significantly further apart at the front than they are at the back due to the "boat shape" of the van. If I was super OCD I'd spend time mitering slightly every piece that bolts to them
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #933
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 892
I know you probably have this covered, but are you using anti-sieze where the steel bolts are being threaded into the 80/20?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #934
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
Check out this fastening system, start on page 49 and scroll down a few pages. We use this stuff at work and it's pretty easy to assemble.
http://www.schnaithmann.de/uploads/m..._V25www_03.pdf
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #935
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I received some corner plates and living hinges in the mail today

...when shopping for the hinges I was looking for the strongest I could find - these are the main bed "flip up flip down" hinges so they have to be able to support a few hundred pounds.

They are massive! I think they are up to the task

Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #936
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,685
Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #937
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

It all stems from the fact that my "main rails" that are mounted on the van's sides are significantly further apart at the front than they are at the back due to the "boat shape" of the van. If I was super OCD I'd spend time mitering slightly every piece that bolts to them

Would it be a super pain in the ass to shim your main rails to square everything up?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #938
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I considered it.. there is more than an inch that would need to be shimmed (per side). I have the isle square.. I'll taper the outside wood to match the van and just shorten the rear aluminum

I'll be going through the same thing all over again with the upper cabinets.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #939
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
I considered it.. there is more than an inch that would need to be shimmed (per side). I have the isle square.. I'll taper the outside wood to match the van and just shorten the rear aluminum

I'll be going through the same thing all over again with the upper cabinets.

At least you'll have already done it once. Second time'll go quicker.

M
Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #940
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Yeah at least it is going shorter instead of longer.. I can use the same materials (all the same wood) - just need to take a little off each piece

Now if only the darn weather would go above freezing so my hands would stop sticking to the aluminum
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #941
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Kind of old news (announced Oct 21st.. can't recall if it made it in this thread?)

Ford has confirmed... Transit in 2013 on US soil made in Kansas City.

They're putting 1.1 billion in tooling upgrades to produce both the new F150 and the Transit. That investment is $700 million more than Ford had previously allocated for its Kansas City facility.

Quote from autoblog:

"it certainly sounds like the days of the E-Series/Econoline range are numbered"
Old 12-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #942
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Kind of old news (announced Oct 21st.. can't recall if it made it in this thread?)

Quote from autoblog:

"it certainly sounds like the days of the E-Series/Econoline range are numbered"
This seems to be the next logical step forward. The E-Series is tired and the diesel option is no longer available. Some may not like it, but the full size Transit should be a suitable and versatile replacement.

Following this thread with great interest... Had given thought to purchasing a used Transit Connect down the road and doing a low-budget camping/bike hauler.

Awesome build, Geek
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #943
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
This seems to be the next logical step forward. The E-Series is tired and the diesel option is no longer available. Some may not like it, but the full size Transit should be a suitable and versatile replacement.

Following this thread with great interest... Had given thought to purchasing a used Transit Connect down the road and doing a low-budget camping/bike hauler.

Awesome build, Geek
I decided this summer to keep ESV until these full sized Transits come out. For me it all depends on the motor choices they roll out.
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #944
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Quote:

They're putting 1.1 billion in tooling upgrades to produce both the new F150 and the Transit. That investment is $700 million more than Ford had previously allocated for its Kansas City facility.

Quote from autoblog:

Smart looking van!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #945
morini-ford
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySantana View Post
Smart looking van!
The full size Transits are popular here in Europe. The Mercedes Sprinter and a lot of others also ( French and Italian brands) . Most of them , almost all of them , are diesels.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: