Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #976
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,575
When you get above 65-70 mph the mileage goes down dramatically
You have a lot of frontal area to be pushing that much air.

There are a ton of variables. What version you have (bluetec? non-blue tec? 144"? 170"? dually? etc) and how much stuff you have on the outside (roof racks, nerf bars, ladders, etc all cost you efficiency).
Then there is mass.. how loaded you are..
Wheels? My AT tires cost me more than 1mpg.

I drive ~130 miles on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to a client of mine in the mountains.

Being frugal (i.e. watching my scan guage and trying to get good mileage) I find that I average ~18mpg during the 65 miles on my way there (into the mountains; gaining ~3000 feet altitude) and I average 24-25mpg during the 65 miles on the way home.

That said, when it comes to fill up time it currently pretty much works out to 20mpg.
That's gone down about 2mpg from when I started; I attribute this to the weight I'm putting in the van and the wheels.

I suspect.. time I'm done it'll be closer to 18-19mpg average.

Drive over 70mph? The mileage drops a bunch.
Head wind? The mileage drops.
Too many variables; but the van is definitely very sensitive..
I suspect Mercedes worked very hard to try and get peak mileage numbers up in the van and those claimed numbers are definitely "best case".

I did a tank at 80mph with a headwind when I bought the van.. got under 14 mpg.

If you are really concerned about mileage, consider getting the 2006 and older T1N Sprinters.
They are able to do 25+ mpg real world.

Hope this helps

p.s. what really sucks right now is gas prices have dropped a bunch but not diesel
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #977
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,650
Thanks for the info!

Dirty
Old 12-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #978
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
I know HOW
s
Thanks Paul I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #979
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
the 8020 system is something i think is really useful and weight/ strength effective so it's very helpful to see it being put into use.

Q: at the corners of the platform, the vertical pieces extend to the top of the horizontal pieces. could the horizontal pieces rest ON the cornerposts to keep the assembley under compression, or do the 8020 joiners only work under tension?

making good progress; thanks for sharing
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #980
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
what really sucks right now is gas prices have dropped a bunch but not diesel
Do like trucking companies and add a "fuel surcharge" to your invoices.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #981
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,463
Geek, you'd be happy to hear that every other van I am seeing in UK is either a Sprinter, VW Crafter (Sprinter), Ford Transit...

a1fa screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 08:08 AM
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #982
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
the 8020 system is something i think is really useful and weight/ strength effective so it's very helpful to see it being put into use.

Q: at the corners of the platform, the vertical pieces extend to the top of the horizontal pieces. could the horizontal pieces rest ON the cornerposts to keep the assembley under compression, or do the 8020 joiners only work under tension?

making good progress; thanks for sharing
It could be done either way; the 15 series is very strong. My theory is that I have a vertical contiguous piece running from the plywood platform to the floor (i.e. the verticals on the corners) so that there are no joints being stressed. If my vertical forces were across a seam, the associated fastener could become the weakest link. Obviously the material is definitely stronger along its length than "compression forces across the t-slots"; but I don't know that it really matters...

Visually, it means I have no cut edges exposed.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #983
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Geek, you'd be happy to hear that every other van I am seeing in UK is either a Sprinter, VW Crafter (Sprinter), Ford Transit...
When we watch BBC television programs I'm constantly saying "Sprinter!" as ones drive by in the background.

I drive Cheryl nuts

Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #984
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,463
Oh, I have been doing that for months now to my wife. We drive around town, and I'll spot it, point a finger and yell SPRINTER!.. One day she asked me if "we" will be doing that forever.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #985
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

That said, when it comes to fill up time it currently pretty much works out to 20mpg.
That's gone down about 2mpg from when I started; I attribute this to the weight I'm putting in the van and the wheels.
The 2mpg might be due to #1 vs. #2 diesel. I suspect that when you bought it the pumps had #2 (which has more BTUs) and now due to colder weather have moved to #1 (fewer BTU's but doesn't gel as badly).

If so then you might get a couple MPGs back in the spring. But yeah, no free ride, more weight is bound to cost you in fuel.

Back to the original question, my 2011 170"wb is getting me around 20-21mpg. I tend to keep it around 65mph on most trips.
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #986
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
The 2mpg might be due to #1 vs. #2 diesel. I suspect that when you bought it the pumps had #2 (which has more BTUs) and now due to colder weather have moved to #1 (fewer BTU's but doesn't gel as badly).

If so then you might get a couple MPGs back in the spring. But yeah, no free ride, more weight is bound to cost you in fuel.

Back to the original question, my 2011 170"wb is getting me around 20-21mpg. I tend to keep it around 65mph on most trips.
Thanks! I wondered about that. It literally happened from one tank to the next.. all of a sudden my mileage was lower.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #987
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
That is pretty much the only vans we use in the uk, apart from the French effort, but it's French and therefore utter rubbish and liable to fall apart within two days of buying it, or fry the ecu if you even try going through water.

We have a transit pick-up at work, 6 gears and a top speed over 100, it moves for a big un
Old 12-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #988
Alti Tude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
I am still on the fence to pull the trigger on one of these.
ESPAR
or
WEBASTO
I have the Espar. Highly recommended!
Mine uses the cooling system and was really purchased so I wouldn't have to idle my truck (08 Dodge 3500 C&C) when parked at a drilling rig in North Dakota, in the winter...30 below isn't all that unusual. It works great keeping the motor warm and also runs the heater to keep everything inside warm and cozy. I think the longest I've run the heater is around 8 hours and the trucks batteries (Optima yellow tops) have no problem starting the truck. One thing though, if your vehicles heater system is pneumatic, and I think they pretty much all are, you have to start the truck to adjust the heat level. Also, when you stop the vehicle and warm the interior with the Espar the heat levels change. The running motor puts much more heat into the coolant than the Espar will so once you start operating on the Espar the heat levels in the coolant will drop some and require a higher heat setting to keep you warm inside...and its all dependent on how cold it is outside. Not a big deal but if I were to buy another Espar I'd get a larger one than recommended to hopefully offset this a bit.

Alti Tude screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 11:25 AM
Alti Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #989
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 654
I was on one of GPSKevin's Roulette rides, who used his Sprinter "Adventure" as a support vehicle. At one of our lunch stops, he reached under the driver's side, and slid out a wire basket containing a fuel nozzle, and fueled up our bikes!
I looked underneath to see his setup, which consisted of a custom-made 20 gallon aluminum fuel tank and electric pump, which fed the nozzle.
Now, that is cool!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #990
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Altitude: thanks for the input!

AdvRonski: what a great idea!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: