Old 12-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #1187
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Truck stop or RV park.
Beat me to it.

Truck stops usually have some sort of deal where if you buy 50 or 100 gallons of diesel (I have forgotten - it's been 20 years since I ran my truckin' company) you get free showers and/or a shower for the driver and the co-driver.

Sometimes you can negotiate these things a bit because $5 a shower (or whatever the going rate is today) per person per day can add up.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #1188
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,619
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #1189
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb McElroy View Post
Shower? I'm not sure I understand the question... You mean you want to be clean? That's not the way living in a van is...

There is a joke here about the difference between vanning and living in a 40 ft. motorhome. I like my hot showers (although ironically at the moment my shower controller is acting up - perhaps too much hard water and lime). And I like my relaxed hours of drinkin' tequila or martinis in the evenings and watching TV.

Still ... I have to envy those folks who can sprint for a few days or a week or so and drag the motorcycle somewhere relatively economically.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #1190
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

Van veterans: where do you find a shower on the road?

I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a bar of soap and taking advantage of last night's storm
Shower in a can!!!
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #1191
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
there's the answer to your snow removal dilema. put that sign at the end of your drive. some modifications may be needed. or just use the Texas sign.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #1192
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #1193
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Van veterans: where do you find a shower on the road?I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a bar of soap and taking advantage of last night's storm
We use rec centers or KOA.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #1194
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #1195
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Only 9 1/2 hours away from 75 degrees (right now).
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #1196
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Mobile Bay?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #1197
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Van veterans: where do you find a shower on the road?
Trucking veteran, here.

Pickup a truckstop directory. Be sure to get one that has all truckstops and not just those who are members of the association printing the book. One way to know is to thumb through it, find a state within (GA is good), and make sure you see all the major chains (T/A, Pilot, Flying J, Petrol, Love's) in it.

Pickup a truckstop chain's directory. If you like a certain chain, just ask the fuel desk operator or GM. Love's has their's right on the fuel desk counter or , sometimes, in the hallway by the restrooms.

If you're headed across I-80, in OH, the plazas have showers in them. The area that says "Commercial Drivers" is where they're located. Last time I showered in one, they were free. That's been quite a while ago, though. Bring your own towel and toiletries.

You have a laptop and WiFi or smart phone and cell service? Check the sites of the chains listed above. They all have location search.

Cobra offers a GPS that is commercial vehicle specific. It has all the truckstops stored, plus the info can be periodically updated.

Showers are $9-$11, depending on location/chain.

The major chains provide towels and soap. You'll have to ask for an extra towel for Mrs Geek.

ALWAYS wear shower shoes in the shower rooms. NEVER EVER step foot in one without. Although they may look clean, the rooms hardly, if ever, get sprayed with disinfectant/bleach/other cleaner. There's almost always soap film and mold on the walls and floor. Dirty toilets are fairly common. Most "janitors" are someone who got stuck doing it. I've had some locations where I always stopped, because they were clean, and always saw the same janitor. I'd be sure to thank them for the cleanliness and tip them. Truckstop cleanliness is hit/miss.

Many truckstop locations, now, have bulk DEF pumps, at the end of the commercial vehicle islands. It's much cheaper than buying jugs of it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #1198
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
...Anyone I'd this?...
Perhaps this will help: The headlight bezels and grill are IHC A series from 1957-58.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #1199
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Good info...thanks for posting. I've noticed in a few truck stops, a sign saying 'showers for professional drivers only' or something to that effect. Do they ask for ID or anything? Or just hold your head up and sign up for one and no one really says anything? My guess is they are just trying to avoid throngs of idiots clogging up their system and as long as you have your gear and look like you've been there you're ok...what is your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Trucking veteran, here.

Pickup a truckstop directory. Be sure to get one that has all truckstops and not just those who are members of the association printing the book. One way to know is to thumb through it, find a state within (GA is good), and make sure you see all the major chains (T/A, Pilot, Flying J, Petrol, Love's) in it.

Pickup a truckstop chain's directory. If you like a certain chain, just ask the fuel desk operator or GM. Love's has their's right on the fuel desk counter or , sometimes, in the hallway by the restrooms.

If you're headed across I-80, in OH, the plazas have showers in them. The area that says "Commercial Drivers" is where they're located. Last time I showered in one, they were free. That's been quite a while ago, though. Bring your own towel and toiletries.

You have a laptop and WiFi or smart phone and cell service? Check the sites of the chains listed above. They all have location search.

Cobra offers a GPS that is commercial vehicle specific. It has all the truckstops stored, plus the info can be periodically updated.

Showers are $9-$11, depending on location/chain.

The major chains provide towels and soap. You'll have to ask for an extra towel for Mrs Geek.

ALWAYS wear shower shoes in the shower rooms. NEVER EVER step foot in one without. Although they may look clean, the rooms hardly, if ever, get sprayed with disinfectant/bleach/other cleaner. There's almost always soap film and mold on the walls and floor. Dirty toilets are fairly common. Most "janitors" are someone who got stuck doing it. I've had some locations where I always stopped, because they were clean, and always saw the same janitor. I'd be sure to thank them for the cleanliness and tip them. Truckstop cleanliness is hit/miss.

Many truckstop locations, now, have bulk DEF pumps, at the end of the commercial vehicle islands. It's much cheaper than buying jugs of it.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #1200
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:

Anyone I'd this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWillys View Post
Perhaps this will help: The headlight bezels and grill are IHC A series from 1957-58.

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
mid 20th century Dodge Spartan
don't you guys pay attention??

here i thought i was going to win some prize like a nights stay in the GEEKmobile.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: