Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #1308
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
well ... what's on the list?
I really need to put the van on back burner for a month and get some motorcycle maintenance done

Other than making insulation/D2 installation a bigger priority, I'm going to order a tambour router bit and do some experimenting.

Biggest plan change: I want a way to "isolate (hide) the sleeping quarters" .. i.e. make the bed disappear while leaving it setup.

Other biggest plan change is I think I'm going to put another maxfann over the bed.
We *really* liked the maxxfan and how well it worked.
Camping in keywest pointed out how nice it would be to put air straight on us while relaxing in bed (in one fan and out the other).

Geek screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 09:28 PM
Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #1309
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Fuel mileage sucked.

I even tried adding Diesel Kleen a few times to improve it.

The best I saw was 21.4 over a 400 mile tank in southern Florida when we slowed down and spent some time exploring the everglades and key west.

Today, crossing Nebraska & Eastern Colorado with a 30+mph headwind and the cruise control on at 75mph.. I averaged ~15mpg

Due to the large number of miles traveled in a short time I had to keep the average speedup. We were normally going 70+. That and we couldn't get a break on headwinds lead to an overall average I'm guessing in the 17-18mpg range.

Somehow we had a headwind going east
...and then the expected headwind coming back west.

I suspect the fuel bill is somewhere around $1400 for the trip.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #1310
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Most expensive diesel: Key Largo, Florida = $4.00/gal
Cheapest: Gary, Indiana = $3.59/gal

Geek screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 09:52 PM
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #1311
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
I'll point out the obvious ... don't run the Espar while you're working on the van if the van is full of construction debris / dust. There is no real filter on the cold air intake, and so all the dust / crap will get to the heat exchanger, which will load up and cook.

not a good thing.

I'm guessing a D-2 will be moving enough air on high to be equal to a complete air change every 2-3 minutes? that's a huge rate of air turnover.

if you were really trying to buck the winter weather doGs, then snag a basic furnace air filter from Home Depot and make a cardboard & duct tape box / holder / adapter so the Espar stays happy.
Awesome advice! Thanks!

I also realized today: don't put the Espar's exhaust pipe under where the fueling occurs (as one pump overflowed and made a mess )
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #1312
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Sleeping in van 10 nights in a row = savings of $1000 in hotel bills.

I only have to sleep in it every night for the next 20 years to make the van pay for itself.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #1313
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Thanks for the advice on the glow plug swapping space.

I haven't quite determined location yet....
Because I've luxury lined the bottom boxes, I think under the bed in a side box would be good for "not hearing it" while in bed..

That said, A guy on Sprinter forum put his under the passenger seat and it was a really cool/neat installation (and it would be blowing air rearward toward the sleeping quarter).

That said.. I was considering putting the coach batteries under the seat..

i.e. tbd.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #1314
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Fuel mileage sucked. .....

I don't remember if you changed your tires to a bigger size or not, but if you did, and are calculating your fuel efficiency by measuring distance travelled (on your odometer) by fuel consumed (at your fill up) you might be making an erroneous calculation. The bigger tires roll a longer distance with each revolution, and consequently, you think you are travelling a shorter distance than you may have travelled because of the fewer revolutions per mile.

I noticed a "drop" in my fuel efficiency on my car going from a 225/50R16 to a 205/65R15. Although, in my case, the speedometer is dead accurate now.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #1315
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
I don't remember if you changed your tires to a bigger size or not, but if you did, and are calculating your fuel efficiency by measuring distance travelled (on your odometer) by fuel consumed (at your fill up) you might be making an erroneous calculation. The bigger tires roll a longer distance with each revolution, and consequently, you think you are travelling a shorter distance than you may have travelled because of the fewer revolutions per mile.

I noticed a "drop" in my fuel efficiency on my car going from a 225/50R16 to a 205/65R15. Although, in my case, the speedometer is dead accurate now.

That was also my reason for calculating mileage on the first day I got my van. On the second day I switched my stock 235-75 with 265-75. Won't be able to get another accurate mileage figure until I recalibrate the speedo.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #1316
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

Geek; I was going to ask you the same thing- are you calculating from your odometer, and is it accurate?

With the bigger tires on my van, my odo is off quite a bit. But when I calculate mileage using the the gps odometer, I'm actually getting better mileage with the oversized tires.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #1317
Geek OP
oot & aboot

That's a good point gents.. the bigger tires have my speedo reading 1-2 mph under actual now (it used to read over actual).
I have no idea how much the odometer is off.

The odometer in the van says we did almost exactly 5000 miles on the trip (within 10 miles?). I'll trace out the exact route on google maps (down to the turn) and see how many miles we actually did. I don't think it'll be that big of a difference though

Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #1318
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Geek; I was going to ask you the same thing- are you calculating from your odometer, and is it accurate?

With the bigger tires on my van, my odo is off quite a bit. But when I calculate mileage using the the gps odometer, I'm actually getting better mileage with the oversized tires.
My odo vs gps with bigger tires makes the odo about 5% low. So when I calculate I add 5% to the figure.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #1319
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Geode: how do the Espars do at altitude? I'm assuming I'll need it programmed for high altitude since the majority of our adventure camping will be over 8500 feet?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #1320
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Know anything about the Webastos? Apparently they have "high altitude" programming available

From the webasto website faq:

4. Do Webasto heaters work in high altitudes?
All Webasto heaters operate reliable until an altitude of 2000m. For altitudes above 2000m it is possible to adjust our heaters. Please contact your local Webasto dealer for further details.
Some of our products already come with an integrated switch for high altitude operation when needed, e.g. our diesel cooker and the new Airtop EVO series.

http://www.webasto-outdoors.com/index.php?id=47#c155

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: