Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 138 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #1336
caudebec43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Geek awesome thread

I have spent the last couple of days entertaining myself at work with your thread. I have a huge passion for VW vans and have wanted to get a newer van but options are very limited here in the US... I am just up the street in Longmont and would love to take a look at your work.. or maybe go for a ride

Nice Job Geek!
caudebec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #1337
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
what did you pick for a fridge?

using the seat as the espar location means you'll only have the one outlet, right?

or are you hiding it under the driver's seat and running a duct down the side in the base cabinet and putting a second outlet back aft?
have been reading the fridge thread... going to go look at a few of the recommended ones before I choose final.

Under the passenger seat as pictured above. No duct necessary (other than the little one to the back of the seat foundation).. one outlet at back base of seat will generate more than enough heat to keep the van warm. The bed platform is only 3 feet away from the outlet so that should let the air rise and not end up under the bed (though the maxxfan can circulate the air in ceiling fan mode).
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #1338
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudebec43 View Post
I have spent the last couple of days entertaining myself at work with your thread. I have a huge passion for VW vans and have wanted to get a newer van but options are very limited here in the US... I am just up the street in Longmont and would love to take a look at your work.. or maybe go for a ride

Nice Job Geek!
Definitely.. lets get together; we're neighbors!

and fellow LC8 owners

here's mine:
Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #1339
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Looking good Miguel

I'm going to be running dual AGM batteries (to be able to keep the fridge going) so I don't think there will be room under the seat for them... so I'm thinking it'll be a good spot for the espar
I will be doubling up as well in the future.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #1340
Geek OP
oot & aboot

here's a thread here..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=fridge

and then I've been reading ones on some other forums.

I'm trying to work out a solar panel energy to fridge consumption ratio of 1:1 or better...
Old 12-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #1341
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySantana View Post
I will be doubling up as well in the future.
have you measured? will you be able to squeeze it in with that one?
What are the specs on the battery you've installed so far?

I'm contemplating whether I want to put the coach battery under the hood where the stock space for it is...
Then I could jumpstart myself with little mini jumper cables
Old 12-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #1342
Geek OP
oot & aboot

not yet.. but I *do* want to have that discussion with you when I plan my internal wiring system

Just let me get caught up on the backlog of stuff I have to do first

p.s. when you make it to Colorado.. the first case is on me
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #1343
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,452
Smug-thugged from Chris V.'s Dakar pictures, but knew it needed to be posted up here!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #1344
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,452
Though I kind of like this one as an Adventure Van platform!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 AM   #1345
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
somebody start a Dakar trucks picture thread please!!!
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #1346
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Paul: that rally sprinter
As much as I wanna put 500,000 miles on this van.. it is going to be hard to resist trading it in on the 4wd when they arrive...

Happy New Year!

We decided to start the new year off right and take the Sprinter snowboarding.
This was the first time we've used it for snowboarding and I think we've spoiled ourselves for life

Considering the interior is only 10% finished (and it worked great!) .. it'll only get better from here.

I pulled the plug on the air bed and flipped the frame up.
Put a bungee across the boards and the boots underneath (along with our snowshoes).
I threw all of our warm/soft gear on the left behind the flip up panel

The temporary 8020 frame is still in the van from our trip (along with the cooler and the mr heater)

Once we got up to the ski hill it was so nice to take off our shoes and get dressed up comfortably in the van.. no outside "freezing while standing on one foot trying to put the boots on behind the trunk of the car" (like usually).

It'll be even nicer after we put in an espar so that we can keep it as warm as we want in the back without running the engine (although it was so nice today.. no heat was needed.. nearly 40 degrees at 10,000 feet!)

...out for a few runs.. then back to the van to kick off the boots and relax a bit and eat a granola bar.
You can see Cheryl taking a nap

The bottom of the flip up panel will be done eventually in maple (like the faces of those front cabinet sides) so it looks nice when open.

...before we could leave we got to answer lots of questions about our setup by passers by... "what is that thing? It looks like the ultimate snowboarding setup!" was my favorite line that some guy's wife asked

Note to self: In the future avoid the "rockstar parking" up front and park back away from people so we won't get bugged so much by people curious about the thing.

We're really diggin' the Adventure Van lifestyle.. it is going to be a great year!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #1347
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,218
Just joined this site and spent the last day and a half reading this thread.

I've liked the Sprinters since they first were imported and always figured they'd make a great sports RV & bike hauler.

Looking forward to the progress!

Hardware02 screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 11:02 AM Reason: Forgot to subscribe...
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #1348
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
OK first post on ADV Rider and I will say my New Years resolution should have been that I was going to read every single page of this thread in 24 hours!

Geek, great write up of the work you guys are doing!

I race Supermoto and also have a raised roof (97 econoline) van set up for doing just that but have wanted a KTM Adventure bike to add to the stable of Supermoto's and Dirtbikes so I always found myself visiting this site as a guest.

So I register and find myself consumed with this thread.

You will be very happy in the long run that you have got a few trips under your belt before making some very important decisions with your Vans interior. Not that you would have doubted anything you would have done prior because you'd have learned to love it but at least the way you are doing it every option you put in has a purpose and thought put into it. I did the same with my Van, I did some essentials then took it dirt biking and to Supermoto races and after each outing I had a better idea of what I wanted my end result to be.

Having read this whole thread the roof fan is next on my list of additions for my Ghetto Sprinter. No i have actually called my Van the Ghetto Sprinter since it's purchase a year ago because a Sprinter has always been a dream of mine since seeing one years ago.

Great thread and great info.

Here's a Sprinter on a Raman noodle budget.

$700 Van

Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #1349
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's how it looks after a year of building , racing , riding and camping out of my Van.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #1350
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Not trying to pad the post count lol but I wasn't sure how many pictures I could post in a row and I thought I'd throw a little dialogue in for the next bit as I got it to this point and then started running the rear battery and wiring so I could run all the rear lights, compressor and accessories at the track or trail without worrying about having power left to start the van at the end of the day.

I wired toggle switches at the rear door as I figured night time loading and unloading would all be done from here so it would put the switches at the best spot.

So with the wiring complete I switched all the interior lighting to LED and then installed a loading LED light strip above the toggle switches and it throws tons of light for late night loading.

All the wiring in place and E Track in my possession it came time to sheet the walls and secure the E Track in place.

Now for the floor and bulkhead .....I did mention I am a KTM guy didn't I?

Like anything it's never done. I still have to sheet and carpet the rear door cards and instal the roof vent

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: